[STOCK] Space Shuttle "Resolution"

Naito

• 3 weeks later...
Naito, I added:

Naito - TDRS-A with Booster KerbalX

to the STS Space Shuttle thread OP, and to the KerbalX hangar. I love the design. I could not improve upon it. :) Great job!

Cool! Thanks Inigma! =)

I find this version of the shuttle very attractive :D

Rep points for Naito!

Thanks Shifter =)

Haven't had time to play KSP much lately, but always nice to see people still fly my shuttle too!

Any comments and suggestions are always welcome!

Help! When I launch it says "cannot activate Skipper engine while stowed"!

- - - Updated - - -

It also explodes halfway up in a big ball of fiery death! (Okay, maybe not that dramatic, but it still exploded)

Huh!! Are you using any plugins/mods?

Exploding half-way up can happen if you're launching with an empty cargo bay, the aero forces can break the stack apart if you don't throttle down or are trying too aggressive a course correction anywhere between 350-500m/s in stock (1.0 or 1.02) aero.

I was launching a truss for my KSS. I do use mods, but no physics-altering ones. BTW, the shuttle looks really cool.

EDIT: it was a booster that exploded, then the ET ripped off the orbiter and it snapped the cockpit off.

I was launching a truss for my KSS. I do use mods, but no physics-altering ones. BTW, the shuttle looks really cool.

EDIT: it was a booster that exploded, then the ET ripped off the orbiter and it snapped the cockpit off.

Interesting. I remember I was using a mod a while back that gave me the same "cannot activate engine while stowed" message but I don't remember which one. I suspect some of the may be changing the clipping definitions or something since the SSMEs do have to be recessed into the orbiter quite a bit.

The booster exploding is new, I've never seen that except when I accidentally lower the stack too close to the launch pad, then the base of the boosters will break during the "twang".

Any chance you can send me a list of mods and I can try re-create when I get a chance?

Made an update to commemorate 1.03/1.04 =p

ICo9gxyl.png

Revision 1.6:

* Major update: Baselined thrust for 18T in the cargo bay. Now can launch from 0-36T WITHOUT ANY ADJUSTMENTS!

* Redesigned OMS pods again

* Previous version had a bug where the SSMEs could drain fuel from the Orbiter tanks and render the fuel cells useless. As per @sgt_flyer's suggestion, redesigned the fuel flow from the ET to the SSMEs to ensure that SSMEs only get fuel from the ET

* Reduced thrust on the boosters to allow for a slightly longer burn time.

* Moved SAS module from nosecone to cargo bay so that it can be easily removed if you want to try fly it without using ANY SAS modules. Be warned that rolls in orbit will consume a lot of propellent, but launch should be unaffected.

* Still keeps all the various abort options workable, including 2-engine out or gimbal failures!

Question: Do you guys actually care about recovering the boosters? 1.0.3/1.0.4 aero makes the current booster design unrecoverable; the chutes burn up! I have a design that actually DOES work, but working on making it look nicer. Not sure if anyone really cares about the boosters actually being reusable tho....?

Actually, regardless of the answer, here it is =)

http://kerbalx.com/crafts/3259

Allows the KSP1-Shuttle's LRBs to be successfully recovered intact in stock 1.03/1.04 aero. Hidden inside the nose cone are a trio of auto-deploying airbrakes that work as high speed "drogue chutes" to help safely slow the booster down during re-entry to ensure the landing chutes open safely. Landing speed around 16m/s.

xTdqmIMm.png

cjUsps1m.pngzSmyrXIm.png

Simply replace the booster nosecone that the KSP1-Shuttle comes with with this subassembly and you're good to go! I may make this part of the next revision depending on feedback.

Quick update:

KT1EnVhl.jpg

Revision 1.7

- REMOVED SAS module in orbiter. Doesn’t help as much as I thought, flies fine without. So officially there are NO SAS UNITS on this shuttle once again!

- REMOVED split rudder airbrake. As nice as it looked, it seemed to cause unwanted instability when deployed. Will have to wait until stock parts update to make this possible I think.

- Adjusted launch clamps so they’re prettier

- tweaked SSME angles for more stability for all supported cargo weights (0 to 36T)

- Added auto-deploy airbrakes to boosters to make them recoverable again in 1.03/1.04 aero. Makes the booster separation slightly less authentic as the fairings separate to release the airbrakes, but boosters are easily recovered. Replace with plain nosecone if you want to make it look closer to the real thing, but your boosters will crash and burn =p such are the tradeoffs with stock parts!

Holy crap I actually managed to land on the runway lol

vqdSFEy.png

Was launching my TDRS constellation, trying S-Turns to manage energy on re-entry. Looks like if I come straight in I can set perigee to about 12-15km and there's enough hypersonic lift to make it a bounce re-entry, but with a 30 degree S-Turn left then right, if I re-enter higher at 30km perigee it stayed in control and was much easier to manage proper amount of energy to make the runway!!

Landing speed was bout 60-70m/s, just slightly off center-line. Pretty damn happy =)

Finally got to flying this with MechJeb. Has no problems out of the box, can bring up 18T to a 500km orbit easily. You can tweak the roll angle and ascent path if you want to make it a shuttle authentic trajectory, but it flies just fine without any adjustments. I would suggest tweaking the auto-stage delays to 0 however, to reduce the performance hit from carrying spent boosters deadweights for a couple seconds.

Created a new EDO Pallet module that includes MechJeb just for fun:

http://kerbalx.com/crafts/3455

Zo87eWnm.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.