[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

I'll try it with

so

The stock radiators or other mod's radiators can't do this job as it seems.
And if they're under heavy load by a fusion engine or a reactor these special radiators with a separate flow are not touched which also would help.

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I also recognized that the boiloff rate increases during time.

Using the HI-530 it started with 0.6/s, now, after 2 hours in orbit, it's 1.12/s

:/ me too. Seems we have the exact same issue.

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Logs are very helpful. All I can say right now is that if you delete the dll, there is literally no code to remove the fuel, so... yeah.

Argh. It's not your fault Nertea. Was hoping maybe you knew of what mod also plays with boiloff though! Beacause now it's worse than ever and not even close to balanced (which yours is). Now it's like "oh you wanted more than 50% of your liquid hydrogen to last past the 2 minute liftoff sequence?"

9 minutes ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

Argh. It's not your fault Nertea. Was hoping maybe you knew of what mod also plays with boiloff though! Beacause now it's worse than ever and not even close to balanced (which yours is). Now it's like "oh you wanted more than 50% of your liquid hydrogen to last past the 2 minute liftoff sequence?"

Perhaps not, but I can't really comment on what might be causing it, or what might be wrong without detailed info at the point, so the output_log.txt at the bare minimum. 

6 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Perhaps not, but I can't really comment on what might be causing it, or what might be wrong without detailed info at the point, so the output_log.txt at the bare minimum. 

Where do I find the output log? And do I need to launch the craft and then exit the scene for the log file to be written? Sorry, never done this before.

8 minutes ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

Where do I find the output log? And do I need to launch the craft and then exit the scene for the log file to be written? Sorry, never done this before.

KSP directory -> KSP_Data folder. It would be best if you launch the game, go to your ship, load your ship, then exit the program. 

@Nertea I found a bug. ZBO tanks maintain full insulation even when EC consumption > EC generation, so long as EC generation is non-zero. For example, in the screenshot below, the cryo tank consumes 1.28 EC/s, while the RTG produces only 0.75 EC/s, and yet boiloff never occurs.zB88pM2.jpg

On 6/2/2016 at 4:48 PM, Fraz86 said:

@Nertea I found a bug. ZBO tanks maintain full insulation even when EC consumption > EC generation, so long as EC generation is non-zero. For example, in the screenshot below, the cryo tank consumes 1.28 EC/s, while the RTG produces only 0.75 EC/s, and yet boiloff never occurs.zB88pM2.jpg

I'll make a note.

On 6/2/2016 at 4:10 PM, Kerbonaut257 said:

I don't see any obvious problems in the log, sorry :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to request 0.625m cryogenic tanks and engines. I absolutely love this mod and I've almost stopped using stock liquid fuel because hydrogen is just so great and the models look so cool, but I'm finding that it's a little too big to do tiny probes with. Of course I'll probably use ions once I unlock them, but they and the nuclear reactors to run them are real expensive and high tech, and I don't have them yet anyway. I don't know how much time you have to devote to these things, but if you have the time I'd love to see some tiny cryogenic parts for low-tech, inexpensive probes :).

• 2 weeks later...

Here's CryoEngines 0.3.3

• KSP 1.1.3 
  • Updated bundled CRP
  • Updated bundled DeployableEngines
  • Updated bundled MM
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch 
  • Improved some FX
  • Fixed several bugs related to CryoTanks boiloff

Minor update really, but fixes some important things.

Just FYI for anyone downloading, GameData\CryoTanks\Plugins\ has a bunch of extra dll's that you want to delete else you end up with some mystery issues like those here. It appears you can delete everything other than SimpleBoiloff.dll. Figured I'd drop this here so any issues can be mitigated on updates.

Edited by antilochus
fixed

So hello.   I have a question regarding the use of Hydrogen fueled engines in terms of Delta V.   I know you need more hydrogen fuel verse liquid fuel as it is less dense but am finding it difficult to accurately determine the amount of Delta V  I really need.  

I've built four  new spacecraft with Hydrogen fueled engines and spec'd  out the Delta V via both MECHJEB and KER.     Unfortunately I run out of Hydrogen even before I get to the intended destinations.  This leads me to believe the two mentioned tools are not programmed to handle Hydrogen fuel  -or-  my approach is flawed.   I've scanned thru all 25 pages on this topic and find very little information on this.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  I really want to use Hydrogen fuel as it is lighter and mass is everything in this wonderful game.  Plus the Hydrogen tanks look real cool !

Dave T

@NerteaGiven the fact that your Cryo Tanks are heavier than stock fuel tanks, and are said to be insulated to help mitigate boil-off, would it not make sense for the insulated tanks to have slightly slower-boil-off rate than the non-insulated tanks, after electric-power for cooling has been depleted?

34 minutes ago, StevieC said:

@NerteaGiven the fact that your Cryo Tanks are heavier than stock fuel tanks, and are said to be insulated to help mitigate boil-off, would it not make sense for the insulated tanks to have slightly slower-boil-off rate than the non-insulated tanks, after electric-power for cooling has been depleted?

It would be slower, but it's functionally nice to have all boiloff for all tanks be the same no matter what (in my opinion). 

Ahh, fair enough, I guess. I asked because I just suggested an idea in the Universal Storage thread about scavenging boiloff from your cryo engine mod's LH2 boiloff to replenish hydrogen storage for that mod's Alkaline Fuel Cell and Sabatier Reactor resource-converters, a-la what United Launch Alliance is working on for cryo boil-off scavenging in its next-gen spacecraft systems.

I'm not getting an option to change engine types (with and without the support structure). It shows up right-clicking it from the parts list, but not when placed in the VAB

On 7/2/2016 at 4:47 PM, dlrk said:

I'm not getting an option to change engine types (with and without the support structure). It shows up right-clicking it from the parts list, but not when placed in the VAB

No clue what could cause this. You should check the installation of B9PartSwitch and see if you have the newest build. 

@Nertea

Hi there, doing a new install of RO/RP0 as it's jsut been updated to 1.1.3, and it seems this mod is now suggested, so I thought, why not.

However, during load, it jams up on startup.  The following is displayed on screen and it just sits there.

http://imgur.com/LVcCJjb

Is there any additional debug information I could provide you?  For now I'm going to uninstall this mod, but I can replace it and get what you need.

@Maxsimal The freeze tells us that something is probably causing an exception during loading, but we really need logs to figure out what's causing it.  If you could re-install this mod, load KSP until it freezes, then post the log, that would be very helpful.  Instructions on how to find and upload the log are in the "How to get Support" link in my signature.

24 minutes ago, blowfish said:

@Maxsimal The freeze tells us that something is probably causing an exception during loading, but we really need logs to figure out what's causing it.  If you could re-install this mod, load KSP until it freezes, then post the log, that would be very helpful.  Instructions on how to find and upload the log are in the "How to get Support" link in my signature.

Sorry about that!  Didn't realize it would help for load issues.

Here's the file  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7nRgtUVNfGrS2VORFhQa0IwSGM/view?usp=sharing

32 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

Sorry about that!  Didn't realize it would help for load issues.

Here's the file  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7nRgtUVNfGrS2VORFhQa0IwSGM/view?usp=sharing

For starters, I see that you have RealFuels Stockalike and RO installed at the same time.  They are incompatible, so get rid of one (I'm guessing RF-Stockalike), and see if the problem persists.  I also see that you have an outdated version of SolverEngines and AJE, but that's not the source of your issues.

@blowfish

That fixed it thank you!

Btw, how do you see I have an old version of AJE and Solver?  Ckan claims I have latest - 2.7.2 and 2.2 respectively, and AVC is not complaining. Checking their threads, those also seem be latest.  Is ckan lying about which one I have installed?  Just checked in the gamedata folders and both say they are correct in the .version file as well.

54 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

@blowfish

That fixed it thank you!

Btw, how do you see I have an old version of AJE and Solver?  Ckan claims I have latest - 2.7.2 and 2.2 respectively, and AVC is not complaining. Checking their threads, those also seem be latest.  Is ckan lying about which one I have installed?  Just checked in the gamedata folders and both say they are correct in the .version file as well.

Both my fault it looks like actually.  Will work on releasing fixed versions soon.