[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

21 hours ago, Nertea said:

Would be nice to have any debug info present. 

I'm having the same issue and got this in the debug log when opening the Waterfall plugin window. It seems like a Waterfall plugin issue.

I'm not sure which mod caused this problem (because there's too many), but I would suspect it's between Kopernicus, Sigma Dimensions and RealisticAtomosphere.

[EXC 20:47:28.521] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Waterfall.AtmosphereDensityController.Get () (at <c5eba498661f4da59db6540c617ee9c7>:0)
	Waterfall.UI.WaterfallUI.DrawController (Waterfall.WaterfallController ctrl) (at <c5eba498661f4da59db6540c617ee9c7>:0)
	Waterfall.UI.WaterfallUI.DrawControllers () (at <c5eba498661f4da59db6540c617ee9c7>:0)
	Waterfall.UI.WaterfallUI.DrawWindow (System.Int32 windowId) (at <c5eba498661f4da59db6540c617ee9c7>:0)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (System.Int32 windowID) (at <fa6f9762ac624af092525d37c9d516c4>:0)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.GUI+WindowFunction func, System.Int32 id, System.Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, System.Int32 forceRect, System.Single width, System.Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) (at <fa6f9762ac624af092525d37c9d516c4>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

---

Update: Stripped the game to just Waterfall + some part mod that supports Waterfall (Restock or CryogenicEngines) and it still doesn't work. Running on KSP 1.11.1, will retry on 1.11.2.

---

Update: Solved. Reinstalling the latest version of Waterfall fixes this issue.

Edited by 01010101lzy

7 hours ago, 01010101lzy said:

I'm having the same issue and got this in the debug log when opening the Waterfall plugin window. It seems like a Waterfall plugin issue.

I'm not sure which mod caused this problem (because there's too many), but I would suspect it's between Kopernicus, Sigma Dimensions and RealisticAtomosphere.

[EXC 20:47:28.521] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Waterfall.AtmosphereDensityController.Get () (at <c5eba498661f4da59db6540c617ee9c7>:0)
	Waterfall.UI.WaterfallUI.DrawController (Waterfall.WaterfallController ctrl) (at <c5eba498661f4da59db6540c617ee9c7>:0)
	Waterfall.UI.WaterfallUI.DrawControllers () (at <c5eba498661f4da59db6540c617ee9c7>:0)
	Waterfall.UI.WaterfallUI.DrawWindow (System.Int32 windowId) (at <c5eba498661f4da59db6540c617ee9c7>:0)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (System.Int32 windowID) (at <fa6f9762ac624af092525d37c9d516c4>:0)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.GUI+WindowFunction func, System.Int32 id, System.Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, System.Int32 forceRect, System.Single width, System.Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) (at <fa6f9762ac624af092525d37c9d516c4>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

---

Update: Stripped the game to just Waterfall + some part mod that supports Waterfall (Restock or CryogenicEngines) and it still doesn't work. Running on KSP 1.11.1, will retry on 1.11.2.

---

Update: Solved. Reinstalling the latest version of Waterfall fixes this issue.

Glad you solved it, but for future reference it's not super helpful to post log snippets without the log. Things like that error are caused by an earlier error somewhere that I would see in a full log but not one where the player cuts out the piece they think is relevant (which is hard to determine for someone who's not me). 

I am running 1.11.2 and the mod works fine, but I realized that the money from 100% recovery is inflated for LH2/OX tank and heavily discounted for LCH4/OX tank.  E.g., the basic 1.25m tank FL-T1100 costs $104 when empty,  when loaded with LH2/OX, I can recover $126 out of it, but when loaded with Methane/LOX, I can only recover $54 for it. 

I have delete all the external mods except for the cryogenic tank/engine.  Was there some kind of config that could cause this? 

Well @Nertea, I reinstalled smokescreen, Realplume and waterfall and it started working again! Ty

Just now, Alpha Starship said:

Well @Nertea, I reinstalled smokescreen, Realplume and waterfall and it started working again! Ty

But now, the problem's something else, the Tundra Exploration starship doesn't support methalox fuel configs, Only Hydrolox. But I saw others on Discord use it and it works fine for them. It may be a Cryo tank problem, idk

Seems I'm missing methane config for stock tanks. Restock and Restock Plus specifically. I do have the extra configs installed. Any ideas?

Edit: I noticed the tanks with methane lack individual LF and O2 settings where as the stock tanks have them, but no methane.

Edited by Motokid600

@Motokid600@KSPNoob

Try deleting CryoTanks, Community Resource Pack, and B9PartSwitch from your GameData folder. Then redownload and install the latest versions of those mods. 

CryoTanks contains a patch that uses B9 to add all cryogenic fuel types to stock tanks. Only thing I can think of is that you have the wrong versions of the above mods or somehow the patch file was corrupted. 

On 4/4/2021 at 2:50 PM, lemon cup said:

@Motokid600@KSPNoob

Try deleting CryoTanks, Community Resource Pack, and B9PartSwitch from your GameData folder. Then redownload and install the latest versions of those mods. 

CryoTanks contains a patch that uses B9 to add all cryogenic fuel types to stock tanks. Only thing I can think of is that you have the wrong versions of the above mods or somehow the patch file was corrupted. 

Tried that still only have Methane and LOx and not Oxidizer.   Some of the parts are teh FL-TX1800, 900, S3-14400 etx.  Whats weird is they have both the LH2/LOx and LH2/Oxidizer configs but only the Methane/LOx config.  I have Interstellar Fuel switch installed could this be messing up the configs?

On 3/9/2021 at 3:21 PM, Nertea said:

CryoEngines 2.0.1

• Updated Russian translation by r4ndom
  • Adjusted some engine core effects to look better
  • Zeroed Harrier thrust transforms
  • Updated Waterfall configurations to use new features from Waterfall 0.6.0 (thanks Zorg!)
  • Updated LFO extras patch to handle methalox engines
  • Added new CryoEngines NFLV patch
    • Converts Cougar, Lynx to use LH2/LF/O and LH2/O when installed

I'm curious about the LH2/LF/O mix — I've never seen multiple fuels used together like that before.  Is it inspired by a real-world engine?  The CryoTanks switcher doesn't have a setting for it; is there a recommended way to use multiple tanks?

(When I first noticed that setting on the engines in the VAB, I assumed it was a mistake, and was halfway through writing a bug report on GitHub before I realized it's by design.  Oops!  Just hadn't read carefully enough when I installed the patch.)

1 hour ago, Wyzard said:

I'm curious about the LH2/LF/O mix — I've never seen multiple fuels used together like that before.  Is it inspired by a real-world engine? 

They are inspired by the Russian RD-701 and RD-704. :)

1 hour ago, Wyzard said:

is there a recommended way to use multiple tanks?

That would largely depend on your desired flight profile. It involves switching “modes” at some point during flight. I would build the rocket so that the first stage had at least two tank parts - a smaller tank with LF/Ox and a larger tank with LH2/Ox. With that set up you will reach 1st stage burnout with excess Ox, so getting it fine tuned will probably involve a few test flights trying out different flight profiles, and some time in the VAB tweaking fuel values. 

15 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

That would largely depend on your desired flight profile. It involves switching “modes” at some point during flight. I would build the rocket so that the first stage had at least two tank parts - a smaller tank with LF/Ox and a larger tank with LH2/Ox. With that set up you will reach 1st stage burnout with excess Ox, so getting it fine tuned will probably involve a few test flights trying out different flight profiles, and some time in the VAB tweaking fuel values. 

I'm familiar with multi-mode engines, but was just surprised to see a mode that burns both fuels at the same time.  But multi-mode engines in general require some tweaking to find the right combination of tanks, and I guess it doesn't really make things any more complicated if one of the modes needs that kind of tweaking all by itself.

And thanks — I wasn't familiar with the RD-701/704.  Pretty cool.