[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

1 hour ago, M87T234G98O said:

Hey, i installed the Near future methalox patch (by moving it from the Extras folder to the Gamedata folder, not sure if that was correct) and it doesnt seem to have had any effect

I’m not at my computer and I’ll double check later, but I believe the patch you are talking about (NearFutureCryoEngines patch?) only affects two engines: the Lynx and the Cougar. It changes them to use 3 resources: Liquid Fuel, Liquid Hydrogen, and Oxidizer.

The rest of the engines in NFLV will remain LF/O only.

And yes from your description it sounds like you installed it correctly.

Edited by lemon cup

Regarding IFS and b9partswitch, if you install IFS full mod, b9partswitch will try to disable itself if it detect IFS cfg available for that fuel tank. However, it fails horribly thus still both on. It causes duped resource bar. Anyway, you shouldn't use IFS at all as it provides Methane+liquid oxygen, not oxidizer. To fix it, use ckan and install IFS core only. Then IFS wouldn't affect stock fuel tank thus metalox tank patch would work (or not since nertea said it automatically disable itself when it detect IFS). Alternatively use configurable containers with my methane patch.

Edited by ssd21345

7 hours ago, lemon cup said:

I’m not at my computer and I’ll double check later, but I believe the patch you are talking about (NearFutureCryoEngines patch?) only affects two engines: the Lynx and the Cougar. It changes them to use 3 resources: Liquid Fuel, Liquid Hydrogen, and Oxidizer.

The rest of the engines in NFLV will remain LF/O only.

And yes from your description it sounds like you installed it correctly.

no, i did not mean the cryoenginesNFLV patch, i meant the patch specifically called NearFutureMethalox, which come to think of it may have come with the NFLV mod. Ill see if moving it into the NFLV mod folder helps

2 hours ago, M87T234G98O said:

It looks to have only affected a couple of cryogenic RCS blocks, is this intended?

I don’t have that patch so I went to the latest github repository and poked around.

Basically, that patch pertains to some deprecated parts from older versions of NFLV, which are all currently hidden by a patch called “LegacyPartHider.cfg” If you were to delete this patch from the NearFutureLaunchVehicles/Legacy folder,  those old parts would show up, including the methalox engines.

In other words, if you have latest version of CryoTanks and CryoEngines, that patch is pointless; it’s just for old deprecated parts you shouldn’t use.

Edited by lemon cup

3 hours ago, M87T234G98O said:

Thank you

Does the restock patch change the anomalously high performance LFO engines like the vector and wolfhound to cryogenic ones?

Yes and no. It converts the Vector, Mammoth, Rhino, Skipper, and Skiff to hydrolox engines and balances them accordingly. 

Other engines remain untouched, so the Wolfhound and Cheetah are still unrealistically overpowered. I personally avoid using those two. 

6 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Yes and no. It converts the Vector, Mammoth, Rhino, Skipper, and Skiff to hydrolox engines and balances them accordingly. 

Other engines remain untouched, so the Wolfhound and Cheetah are still unrealistically overpowered. I personally avoid using those two. 

I see, thanks for the info. Personally ill see how well self discipline works. Im also somewhat tempted to massively reduce the cost of liquid methane, but fuel costs overall in KSP are ludicrously high so idk

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Natokerbal said:

what part of the cfg do I edit to remove the smoke trail the engines make? Surfacefx and the smoke effect itself didn't do anything

you should be looking for something like this:          

PREFAB_PARTICLE
            {
                prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_light
                transformName = smokePoint
            }

34 minutes ago, Jcking said:

you should be looking for something like this:          

PREFAB_PARTICLE
            {
                prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_light
                transformName = smokePoint
            }

I removed that and it still shows up lol

8 hours ago, paul63345 said:

I'm having a problem. I don't have the liquid fuel patches for either LH2 or Methane installed into the folder, yet whenever I look at the LH2 or Methane engines, it says they run on LF/Ox
https://imgur.com/a/hWf4DFb

Did you put the LFO-patch into another folder? configs works in every folder also directly in the gamedata

On 3/17/2021 at 8:19 AM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

You need CryoTanks.

I have cryotanks, trying to figure this out myself. No Methalox preset is provided in configurable containers with cryotanks installed

Ooh, I just updated and noticed that you now have a patch to make the RD-70x analogues tripropellant bimodal. I've already been running my own custom patch for this, but now that it's got an official one (which probably also has effects for the second mode unlike mine), I'll definitely be switching over. Just need to rework the tanks on my two rockets using it a bit

What should the ratio of methane to oxidizer be? I'm trying to approximate/figure it out, but keep being a bit off.

EDIT: Different/potentially better question: What are most people using for tank switching?

EDIT: I see, it's 3:1 in terms of units, just getting screwed up because I was trying to put it in as a volume

Edited by dlrk

You're not understanding the question. Cryotanks includes configs for B9PartSwitcher and ModularFuelTanks. There is also compatibility with Configurable Containers (which is necessary for certain other mods and will automatically replace B9PartSwitch sometimes)

16 minutes ago, dlrk said:

You're not understanding the question. Cryotanks includes configs for B9PartSwitcher and ModularFuelTanks. There is also compatibility with Configurable Containers (which is necessary for certain other mods and will automatically replace B9PartSwitch sometimes)

You asked what people were using. 
I told you.

I do not use modular fuel tanks or configurable containers. 

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

I just  installed KSP Interstellar Extended which requires Interstellar Fuel Switch; which I think is responsible for removing my ability to use Methane/Oxidizer and instead switching everything to Methane Liquid Oxygen.

On 5/2/2021 at 7:08 PM, paul63345 said:

I'm having a problem. I don't have the liquid fuel patches for either LH2 or Methane installed into the folder, yet whenever I look at the LH2 or Methane engines, it says they run on LF/Ox
https://imgur.com/a/hWf4DFb

I'm having this same issue but I have not been able to figure it out. Could someone explain to me in baby terms what I'm supposed to do with these  patches? I'm using CKAN and insofar haven't really had to do anything manually yet; thanks.