[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

16 hours ago, Nertea said:

Unfortunately I have to point you to the FAQ. 

Ah, sorry, I guess I missed that. I forgot to mention in my last post though, I'm just coming back from a break since 1.7.3, and the new engine plumes with Waterfall are fantastic. I never thought it would make much of a difference to me so I never bothered with Real Plume or anything else, but I can't stop looking at them. In any case, thanks for being around for support even if your focus is shifting to other things! This game would be far less without your amazing additions and I sincerely hope the KSP2 team will take heavy inspiration from them.

• 3 weeks later...

This mod seems to modify the stock NERV nuclear engine and causes really odd bug.

After putting a NERV nuke engine in your  rocket stack in the VAB, any parts vertically lower than the NERV have issues (as in not working) connecting fuel lines and using struts. When trying to connect struts or fuel lines, the secondary point doesn't attach rather just grab the targeted part.

Take NERV out of the stack and all problems goes away. Suspect this mod is only mod that is modifying NERV..

player log file shows nothing when this event occurs.

This issue doesn't seem to occur with any other engines.

5 hours ago, fragtzack said:

This mod seems to modify the stock NERV nuclear engine and causes really odd bug.

After putting a NERV nuke engine in your  rocket stack in the VAB, any parts vertically lower than the NERV have issues (as in not working) connecting fuel lines and using struts. When trying to connect struts or fuel lines, the secondary point doesn't attach rather just grab the targeted part.

Take NERV out of the stack and all problems goes away. Suspect this mod is only mod that is modifying NERV..

player log file shows nothing when this event occurs.

This issue doesn't seem to occur with any other engines.

If i am not wrong, Kerbal Atomics is the mod that modifies the NERV, Cryogenic Engines shouldn't mess with it

5 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

How do I make every other stock and near future engine use these fuels?

In the main download of CryoEngines, there is an optional patch that makes several engines use LH2. If you want to apply this to different engines of your choosing, you can use this as a template:

// Vector (RS-25)
@PART[SSME]:FINAL         //change to the name of your desired engine
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
       @maxThrust = 900        //Usually need to lower how much thrust the engine has//
       @PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
       {
          @name = LqdHydrogen
          @ratio = 1.5
       }
      @PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
       {
         @ratio = 0.1
       }
    !atmosphereCurve {}
    atmosphereCurve
    {
      key = 0 420 0 0        //Vacuum ISP//
      key = 1 365 0 0        //Sea Level ISP//
      key = 4 285 0 0        //Eve ISP//
    }
  }
}

That is for the Vector, to do this for a different engine go to the part's .cfg and find what it is called (example: "name = SSME") and put that in the first line.

You usually only have to take this template and edit a few values, which I explain up there in the //Slashes//

When you're done save your text file as "whatevernameyouwant.cfg" and put that anywhere in your GameData folder; it's nice to make a folder in there for custom patches you might make over time.

17 hours ago, lemon cup said:

In the main download of CryoEngines, there is an optional patch that makes several engines use LH2. If you want to apply this to different engines of your choosing, you can use this as a template:

That is for the Vector, to do this for a different engine go to the part's .cfg and find what it is called (example: "name = SSME") and put that in the first line.

You usually only have to take this template and edit a few values, which I explain up there in the //Slashes//

When you're done save your text file as "whatevernameyouwant.cfg" and put that anywhere in your GameData folder; it's nice to make a folder in there for custom patches you might make over time.

This was great mate! Thank you!

7 hours ago, EnderiumSmith said:

For some reason the pavonis and tharsis render their light cone when in the VAB. It works fine in flight, its only bugged in the VAB.

I can confirm this on my heavily modded KSP 1.12.2 career save and a sandbox save with CryoTanks Core 1.6.3, CryoEngines 2.0.5 and CryoEngines - NFA 2.0.5.  This occurs in both the VAB and SPH, and the effect disappears on the launchpad/runway.

Still testing on a min install.

Edit: Fresh install with only Cryo Tanks, Tanks Core, Engines and Engines - NFA behaves the same way.

Edited by Brigadier
Min install behavior

• 2 weeks later...

Several posts have been removed, due to an off-topic digression that had nothing to do with this mod.  Please try to remember that this thread is about this mod, and discussion unrelated to the mod itself would best go in another thread. ;)

Thank you for your understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like game crashes when trying to return to Kerbin with engines from this mod. Most of the time, the game crashes when I timewarp to 70km altitude, however it also crashes at random moments. I tried using different engines and beginning a new career but the results remained the same. The last messages in the logs before the crash are a line of "Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "cryoengine-fuji-1/model/CryoEngines/Assets/Engine/cryoengine-fuji-1(Clone)/Fuji/B_FujiCommon/B_FujiGimbal/COL_F_1" "

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 9:00 PM, Nertea said:

CryoEngines 2.0.6

• Updated CryoTanks to 1.6.4
  •  Fixed VAB on-ness of Tharsis/Pavonis glows    

Is the bugged exhaustplume of the tharsis, which does not move with gimbal movements, also fixed?

Hi folks - I'm trying to find a way to get Nertea's methane resource to participate in Bob Palmer's "USI Warehouse" framework for local and global storage.   I'd like to either have the methane resource show up in one of Bob's "Kontainer Tank" containers, or have one of Nertea's tanks participate in the USI warehousing.  Can this be done with a patch file in my GameData dir?  Or is this something that would require deep edits of the USI resource system to work?

Apologies if this is like asking, "How do I build a car?".   I'm not scared of editing configs, just not sure where to begin.

Also, huge thanks to Nertea for maintaining this amazing mod over the years.  It's always right at the top of my "must have" list :)

Edited by Chilkoot

2 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Hi folks - I'm trying to find a way to get Nertea's methane resource to participate in Bob Palmer's "USI Warehouse" framework for local and global storage.   I'd like to either have the methane resource show up in one of Bob's "Kontainer Tank" containers, or have one of Nertea's tanks participate in the USI warehousing.  Can this be done with a patch file in my GameData dir?  Or is this something that would require deep edits of the USI resource system to work?

Apologies if this is like asking, "How do I build a car?".   I'm not scared of editing configs, just not sure where to begin.

Also, huge thanks to Nertea for maintaining this amazing mod over the years.  It's always right at the top of my "must have" list :)

This sounds like it would be more suited to ask on a USI thread. CryoEngines and CryoTanks don’t add any resources themselves if I recall correctly - they instead make use of existing CRP resources. So your question is primarily concerned with USI mechanics.

24 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

This sounds like it would be more suited to ask on a USI thread. CryoEngines and CryoTanks don’t add any resources themselves if I recall correctly - they instead make use of existing CRP resources. So your question is primarily concerned with USI mechanics.

Understood, and thanks.  I had it in my head the Methane fuel type was introduced by this mod, so I'll go digging around with the USI folks.

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2015 at 1:06 PM, Nertea said:

Q: Will you add feature/part xxx?
A: I am now retired from KSP1 modding and will only be providing bugfixes. 

I was going to ask if jet engines that use the cryogenic fuels were planned, but then I checked the FAQ.
Guess I'll just have to use whatever I can figure out how to make instead.