[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

On 5/8/2021 at 12:38 PM, dlrk said:

Some others require configurable containers

Just a note that last time I checked CC's mass ratios for LH2 were super funky. 

On 5/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, Aryeonos said:

I just  installed KSP Interstellar Extended which requires Interstellar Fuel Switch; which I think is responsible for removing my ability to use Methane/Oxidizer and instead switching everything to Methane Liquid Oxygen.

I'm having this same issue but I have not been able to figure it out. Could someone explain to me in baby terms what I'm supposed to do with these  patches? I'm using CKAN and insofar haven't really had to do anything manually yet; thanks.

If you want IFS, I have to assume you want Interstellar resources and balance. You'll have to disable IFS' switching patches if you want mine. 

So... this seems like it's really getting to be a problem with multiple fuel switches. Will open a conversation in the CT thread.  

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Just a note that last time I checked CC's mass ratios for LH2 were super funky. 

If you want IFS, I have to assume you want Interstellar resources and balance. You'll have to disable IFS' switching patches if you want mine. 

So... this seems like it's really getting to be a problem with multiple fuel switches. Will open a conversation in the CT thread.  

I honestly didn't want any of Interstellar's fuel/resources as Kerbalism, Near Future's stuff and these cryo engines  seemed to be plenty complex already, but it's all bundled with a bunch of other pre-requisites that they require and CKAN enforces it (probably for my own good) I just wanted the space station and science parts and some of the nuclear stuff, and I really don't know how to make them play together. But I guess that's outside of what I can do by myself? Anyway thanks for looking into it.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BlueBirdAzurite said:

I can’t use methane engines because they use Methane + Oxidizer but the only fuel type containing methane that shows up is Methane + Liquid Oxygen (which is not the same as oxidizer) so I can’t use them, anyone knows how to fix it?

Then there is sometihng wrong with yout install. I checked it and there is LCH4/Ox. There is no combi LCH4/LOx included in this mod. Do you have another Fuelswitch-mod installed? Like Interstellar Fuel Switch? If so, delete it.

3 hours ago, rocketman525 said:

I downloaded the mod and the engines work, but the plumes do not show.  Anyone know how I can fix this?

Did you install Real Plume/Waterfall?

9 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Then there is sometihng wrong with yout install. I checked it and there is LCH4/Ox. There is no combi LCH4/LOx included in this mod. Do you have another Fuelswitch-mod installed? Like Interstellar Fuel Switch? If so, delete it.

I litterally installed Interstellar Fuel switch to see if that could fix the problem.

also does someone knows if procedurals tanks can support Methane?

Edited by BlueBirdAzurite

10 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

I tried looking at the problem a bit closer, and although it isn't fixed, I think I might know what it is.

I was working on a Lander using the “Hecate” and the “Erebus”. The Hecate is the smallest vacuum optimized engine that uses liquid hydrogen, the Erebus is a larger sustainer. I opened up this waterfall window that you get by clicking on the box. The Hecate has two effects in the waterfall window, but for some reason the Erebus has no effects. I tried reinstalling the mod a few times and it didn't fix the plume issue. However, when I first installed it there weren't any engines, but reinstalling it added the engines.

On 5/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, Angel33Demon said:

I don't think the Methane engines play nice with RealFuels yet. Any plans to make that happen?

RealFuels is supported by RealFuels, not by me. Ask there. 

On 5/22/2021 at 9:23 PM, rocketman525 said:

I downloaded the mod and the engines work, but the plumes do not show.  Anyone know how I can fix this?

Works for me, ensure you have the appropriate dependencies, and that they are up to date. If using Real Plume or Waterfall, make sure those mods are ALSO up to date. 

28 minutes ago, Nertea said:

RealFuels is supported by RealFuels, not by me. Ask there. 

Works for me, ensure you have the appropriate dependencies, and that they are up to date. If using Real Plume or Waterfall, make sure those mods are ALSO up to date. 

Yeah the plumes work for me now too. I had to update my RO save to 1.10.1 tho.

Does anyone have an issue with the Fuji engine? I now had this on two crafts, that on a longer burn i get a spiral movement of the vessel, as if the thrust is off center. Beginning is fine and this only comes up after some time, so probably a very small offset?

On 5/28/2021 at 12:42 AM, rocketman525 said:

Is the problem usually with not up-to-date waterfall?

Absolutely no idea but I would assume so. My best guess is that it was a compatibility issue.

On 5/28/2021 at 3:59 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Get the latest version. It should be 0.6.3

"This is a framework mod and does nothing by itself. Pick up a mod that supplies configs in order to have some effect on your game." - The read me.

Do I need configs for the engines?

16 minutes ago, rocketman525 said:

"This is a framework mod and does nothing by itself. Pick up a mod that supplies configs in order to have some effect on your game." - The read me.

Do I need configs for the engines?

CryoEngines has them built in. 

I am playing on 2.5x Kerbin and this mod seems a bit underpowered for that. (duh) xD nothing bad, but i wanted to ask if there would be a quick and dirty (or clean) way to improve all of the engines performances. i never really delved into the depths of module manager .cfgs

1 hour ago, Hallebumba said:

I am playing on 2.5x Kerbin and this mod seems a bit underpowered for that. (duh) xD nothing bad, but i wanted to ask if there would be a quick and dirty (or clean) way to improve all of the engines performances. i never really delved into the depths of module manager .cfgs

I am using the engines on JNSQ and can't see any performance issues. Are you sure nothing else is wrong? I for example, regularly underestimate the tank size in comparison to liquid fuel.

To make them more powerful you probably could write an easy patch to just multiply the thrust values for every engine (There are examples in the module manager wiki), however I guess that will also unbalance thrust curves, fuel consumption, etc.?

6 hours ago, Hallebumba said:

If anything Cryoengines is slightly overpowered compared to their real world equivalents. Liquid hydrogen engines provide relatively lower thrust compared to denser fuels like kerolox/hypergolics and much better efficiency. You must learn to make use of their characteristics. For boosters the best choice is to use cryogenic engines on a core first stage large enough it is not able to lift itself and then use Solid or LFO liquid boosters to add lift off thrust to get it to a point where it can carry the rest of itself to orbit. This is how most liquid hydrogen first stages work IRL as well. They are very effective when used this way.

IMO they are very well balanced for 2.5x. Most mods correctly balanced for stock scale are overpowered for stock (because stock balance is an overpowered balance to make the game easier), and correct at 2.5x and this is the case for CryoEngines.

Edited by Zorg