[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

Cryo Engines 0.5.7

•  Fixed normals on all engines
  •  CryoTanks 0.4.6
    •  All tanks can now be cooled. Lifting tanks cast ~10% more to cool and have cooling disabled by default
    •  Repaired normals on tanks
    •  Fixed science costs of many tanks
    •  Refactored plugin to support multiple cryogenic fuels per tank
    • Updates to MFT Compatibility
  • DynamicBatteryStorage 1.1.0
    • Refactored plugin for many improvements
    • Proper support for RealBattery

31 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

So... all tanks can be cooled means that I can keep the upper stage of a Blue Dog Sarnus S-IVB stage from boiling off? AWESOME!

Yes, but cooling costs will be higher by ~10%. 

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

All tanks can now be cooled. Lifting tanks cast ~10% more to cool and have cooling disabled by default

Thanks!  As a personal rule I only use your cryo tanks within payload fairings (since they look like they're not meant to be aerodynamic, even if the game's physics doesn't care), but I've always been interested in using cryo engines for transfer stages and not just payloads.  I was always hesitant to patch all the other tanks to support cooling (since then there'd be no point in having dedicated cryo tanks), but the extra power consumption is a nice way to balance it.

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

Fixed science costs of many tanks

Wow.  Well, then, I'll just refund myself most of that 125k that I paid yesterday for the H250-64…  :)

This is a small but important update that fixes a bug with the FL-T800 fuel tank and possibly some mod tanks not loading properly when patched. This is because the game was written by particularly stupid monkeys.

CryoEngines 0.5.8

•  CryoTanks 0.4.7
    • Fixed an issue where parts with '_' in their name would not be patched properly

On 7/31/2017 at 0:19 PM, Nertea said:

Cryo Engines 0.5.7

•  Fixed normals on all engines
  •  CryoTanks 0.4.6
    •  All tanks can now be cooled. Lifting tanks cast ~10% more to cool and have cooling disabled by default
    •  Repaired normals on tanks
    •  Fixed science costs of many tanks
    •  Refactored plugin to support multiple cryogenic fuels per tank
    • Updates to MFT Compatibility
  • DynamicBatteryStorage 1.1.0
    • Refactored plugin for many improvements
    • Proper support for RealBattery

I'm trying to figure out how to add cooling to Procedural Tanks. I've found the relevant code (below), but not sure how to write the CoolingCost line so that it determines cooling cost based on the tank size. Anyone know how to do this?

MODULE
    {
        name =  ModuleCryoTank
        CoolingCost = 0.09
        CoolingEnabled = False
        BOILOFFCONFIG
        {
            FuelName = LqdHydrogen
            // in % per hr
            BoiloffRate = 0.05
        }
    }

8 hours ago, Nertea said:

CoolingCost is in units of Ec/1000 units, so wouldn't it work out of the box?

Got it. I wasn't aware of how the units work. That makes sense. Is there a reason you didn't add this to your ProceduralPart configs? Does it break something else or not work properly?

Just now, Tyko said:

Got it. I wasn't aware of how the units work. That makes sense. Is there a reason you didn't add this to your ProceduralPart configs? Does it break something else or not work properly?

I don't maintain that config. There's a lot of patches in these mods that are unattributed - I would like to attribute these as I would prefer not to maintain a patch for a mod I don't use. 

Hi Nertea,

FYI - Module manager 2.8.1 reporting 16 patch errors in CryoTanksFuelTankSwitcher.cfg. Cryotanks ver 0.4.7. CryoEngines ver 5.8.0

Disregard... reinstalled and its working fine.... 

Edited by Gerbwerz

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Has anyone bothered to make a MM script that convert Cryogenic Engines Engine to true Cryogenic Engines, meaning all engines use only cryogenic fuels like LqdHydrogen and LqdOxygen?

Yes, they called it RealFuels :P

2 hours ago, 7thGalaxy said:

Is there any chance of a matching set of tanks for oxidizer, for the real atomics mod? (or compatibility with the fuel switcher?)

Thanks

What like with unique models and stuff? Nah.

7 hours ago, 7thGalaxy said:

If I simply copied the hydrogen tanks and changed the name of the tank/resource to Oxidizer, would that work?

Pure Ox is one of the configurations with B9 Part Switch that comes with the hydrogen tanks. Do you have the whole mod download installed?

30 minutes ago, fenderzilla said:

How would I go about editing the Interstellar Extended files so hydrogen in their tanks won't boil off? I can't find the specific line for cooling a tank in the Cryotanks' cfg files.

I'm pretty sure it's this module that I pulled from the CryoTanksFuelTankSwitcher patch from the Cryo Tanks folder. I'd take a look at the rest of that file to maybe figure out what you need.

MODULE
	{
		name =  ModuleCryoTank
		// in Ec per 1000 units per second
		CoolingCost = 0.08
		CoolingEnabled = True
		BOILOFFCONFIG
		{
			FuelName = LqdHydrogen
			// in % per hr
			BoiloffRate = 0.05
		}

}

On 8/20/2017 at 11:43 PM, Krakatoa said:

I'm pretty sure it's this module that I pulled from the CryoTanksFuelTankSwitcher patch from the Cryo Tanks folder. I'd take a look at the rest of that file to maybe figure out what you need.

Since the ModuleCryoTank module isn't in any of the actual part files, it's got to have something to do with the 

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[WBIResourceSwitcher]]:NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FOR[zzz_CryoTanks]
{

part. I'm sorry, I'm not really experienced with this, but how would I make this line include, say, the interstellar wrapper tanks?

On 8/20/2017 at 8:10 PM, fenderzilla said:

How would I go about editing the Interstellar Extended files so hydrogen in their tanks won't boil off? I can't find the specific line for cooling a tank in the Cryotanks' cfg files.

Doesn't interstellar do its own cryocooling?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 5:16 PM, Krakatoa said:

Pure Ox is one of the configurations with B9 Part Switch that comes with the hydrogen tanks. Do you have the whole mod download installed?

Hi

Yes, I have the full mod.  I can change the appearance of the tank, but I can't edit the contents.

Thanks

On 8/23/2017 at 11:31 PM, Roostergod said:

Have you considered adding a cryo rapier, with stats more in line with the actual sabre specs (adjusted for balance obviously)

The MkIV has an LH2 / LH2 + Ox engine. There is a patch provided that turns the Cutlass into what you are requesting. It's bigger than the rapier, but what you're after.

Cheers,