[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

You might try

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen],[~ModuleCryoTank]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name =  ModuleCryoTank
		FuelName = LqdHydrogen
		FuelTotal = #$../LH2$
		// in % per hour
		BoiloffRate = 0.05
		// in Ec per 1000 units per second
		CoolingCost = 0.08
	}
}

Edited by Mecripp2

Now that there is no longer a mass discrepancy between cooled and non-cooled tanks, it seems like it might be a good idea to add the cooling ability to all tanks, and just have it be enabled or disabled by default depending on type. Opinions?

On 1/3/2017 at 10:26 AM, Nertea said:

Now that there is no longer a mass discrepancy between cooled and non-cooled tanks, it seems like it might be a good idea to add the cooling ability to all tanks, and just have it be enabled or disabled by default depending on type. Opinions?

Personally, I don't love the idea of making the two sets of tanks functionally identical/redundant. I suppose we're already almost there, with the only remaining trade-off being cooling vs cost & maxTemp. It's tempting to suggest removing LH modes from stock tanks altogether, though I understand many would object that cryo engine launch stages would look a bit silly with the exposed foil tanks. I guess I don't have a great solution at the moment, but I'll think it over and get back to you if I come up with something.

Edited by Fraz86

On 1/2/2017 at 3:27 PM, MeCripp said:

You might try

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen],[~ModuleCryoTank]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name =  ModuleCryoTank
		FuelName = LqdHydrogen
		FuelTotal = #$../LH2$
		// in % per hour
		BoiloffRate = 0.05
		CoolingCost = 0.08
	}
}

Please forgive my ignorance @MeCripp.  I threw this exact text all by itself into a .cfg file I made with notepad.  I put the .cfg file into the Cryotanks\Patches and module manager said there was an error with that when my game loaded.  Is there something else I need to include in that .cfg file?

Edited by braxfortex

4 hours ago, braxfortex said:

Please forgive my ignorance @MeCripp.  I threw this exact text all by itself into a .cfg file I made with notepad.  I put the .cfg file into the Cryotanks\Patches and module manager said there was an error with that when my game loaded.  Is there something else I need to include in that .cfg file?

Looking at it  and it might be

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen],~MODULE[ModuleCryoTank]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name =  ModuleCryoTank
		FuelName = LqdHydrogen
		FuelTotal = #$../LH2$
		// in % per hour
		BoiloffRate = 0.05
		CoolingCost = 0.08
	}
}

Edited by Mecripp2

A solution could be to give the special cryogenic tanks a lower boiloff rate and a somewhat lower cooling cost, representing specially designed cryogenic tanks. They would be more expensive - mass would be a wash due to intervening advancements in other materials. You could cool a normal fuel tank, but it would take a lot more energy due to the lack of insulation. 

On 1/3/2017 at 7:56 PM, Rodger said:

How about a tech tree upgrade to add cooling to all tanks?

On 1/4/2017 at 4:08 PM, MaxL_1023 said:

A solution could be to give the special cryogenic tanks a lower boiloff rate and a somewhat lower cooling cost, representing specially designed cryogenic tanks. They would be more expensive - mass would be a wash due to intervening advancements in other materials. You could cool a normal fuel tank, but it would take a lot more energy due to the lack of insulation. 

I'm a fan of either of these two. Maybe a combination-- all tanks can get cooling eventually, but for non-cryo tanks the cooling is more resource intensive.

On 03.01.2017. at 7:26 PM, Nertea said:

It is what i have been doing all along. Every tank capable of storing cryo fuel is also capable of electric cooling.

Having only a few tanks  (as pretty as they are) capable of permanently storing cryo fuels puts, what i feel is, an unnecessary limitation on using cryo engines. I really like the engines but the tanks provided just don't fit into every design i want to use. Probably the biggest problem is the lack of cooling for procedural tanks which i use very often.

So yes, please add cooling to more tanks by defoult.

However, in the meantime since there is interest in this i will post my hacky way of achieving this...

1. Delete or rename \CryoTanks\Patches\CryoTanksFuelTankSwitcher.cfg to something which wont load.

2. Add a custom CryoTanksFuelTankSwitcher.cfg somewhere in Gamedata.

Custom CryoTanksFuelTankSwitcherCustomAllCoolECv2(112).cfg:

/ Lifting tanks
@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel],@RESOURCE[Oxidizer],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]]:NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FINAL
{
	%LF = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
	%OX = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$

%totalCap = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
	@totalCap += #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$

%massOffset = #$totalCap$
	@massOffset *= 0.000625 // standard dry mass per units of LF/OX
	@massOffset *= -1

@LF *= #$@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[LiquidFuel]/unitCost$
	@OX *= #$@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Oxidizer]/unitCost$

%costOffset = #$LF$
	@costOffset += #$OX$
	@costOffset *= -1

!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
	!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
		moduleID = fuelSwitch
		switcherDescription = Tank Type
		baseVolume = #$../totalCap$
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = LF/O
			tankType = LFOX
			addedMass = #$../../massOffset$
			addedCost = #$../../costOffset$
		}

SUBTYPE
		{
			name = LH2/O
			tankType = LH2OCryo
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = LH2
			tankType = LH2Cryo
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Oxidizer
			tankType = OX
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = LiquidFuel
			tankType = LF
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name =  ModuleCryoTank
		FuelName = LqdHydrogen
		// in % per hr
		BoiloffRate = 0.05
		CoolingCost = 0.08
	}
}
// ZBO tanks
@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]]:NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FINAL
{
	%LH2 = #$RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen]/maxAmount$

%massOffset = #$LH2$
	@massOffset *= 0.00003125 // <- EDIT HERE (dry mass per unit LH2 capacity)
	@massOffset *= -1

%costOffset = #$LH2$
	@costOffset *= #$@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[LqdHydrogen]/unitCost$
	@costOffset *= -1

!RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen] {}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
		moduleID = fuelSwitch
		switcherDescription = Tank Type
		baseVolume = #$../LH2$
		@baseVolume *= 0.1

SUBTYPE
		{
			name = LH2/O
			tankType = LH2OCryo
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = LH2
			tankType = LH2Cryo
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Oxidizer
			tankType = OX
		}

}

MODULE
	{
		name =  ModuleCryoTank
		FuelName = LqdHydrogen
		// in % per hour
		BoiloffRate = 0.05
		CoolingCost = 0.08
	}
}

Changes in line 2,75,77 if somebody wants a closer look.

Surely there is a better way of doing this but it works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Cryogenic Engines 0.4.5

• Marked for KSP 1.2.2
  • Updated bundled MM to 2.7.5
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 1.5.3
  • Updated bundled CRP to 0.6.4
  • Updated DeployableEngines to 2.1.0

Additionally, please note the license change for all mods going forward.

I don't know if this has been reported or not And this might be a RF issue and or a Real plume Issue.

I'm using RF-Stock configs With Procedural Parts for the fuel storage. I have 1 tank for Liquide ox set as a cryo tank and the Liquide Hydro is a normal tank.

The issue is that the Cryo engine always shows Plume effects no matter what even if it's shut down. The minute you enter the Launch pad. If you need more info let me know and Tell me the steps I need to take in order to send you all the info you need. I tried to be as descriptive as possible I will even include a screen shot.

34o7fkj.png

2enm848.png

Edited by Dermeister

16 minutes ago, Dermeister said:

I don't know if this has been reported or not And this might be a RF issue and or a Real plume Issue.

I'm using RF-Stock configs With Procedural Parts for the fuel storage. I have 1 tank for Liquide ox set as a cryo tank and the Liquide Hydro is a normal tank.

The issue is that the Cryo engine always shows Plume effects no matter what even if it's shut down. The minute you enter the Launch pad. If you need more info let me know and Tell me the steps I need to take in order to send you all the info you need. I tried to be as descriptive as possible I will even include a screen shot.

Almost certainly an RF or RP issue. That doesn't even look like my plume art there :P. 

Just now, Nertea said:

Almost certainly an RF or RP issue. That doesn't even look like my plume art there :P. 

lol RF has had a lot of issues with plumes lately Do you think I shoud post that on Real fuels? Or just wait for them to fix as they are probably already aware?

1 minute ago, Dermeister said:

lol RF has had a lot of issues with plumes lately Do you think I shoud post that on Real fuels? Or just wait for them to fix as they are probably already aware?

If they already know, its polite not to tell them again :)

Just now, Nertea said:

If they already know, its polite not to tell them again :)

I'm not sure if they do but I will wait they probably check this thread anyhow :P! Meanwhile would you have any ideas of how I could temporarly fix this so that I can keep playing the game as they  release a patch? short of removing Real plumes all together?

10 minutes ago, Dermeister said:

I'm not sure if they do but I will wait they probably check this thread anyhow :P! Meanwhile would you have any ideas of how I could temporarly fix this so that I can keep playing the game as they  release a patch? short of removing Real plumes all together?

Sorry, no idea offhand. Don't really know how RealPlume works. Typically that bug occurs when an effect is not referenced properly in the cfg by the engine file though. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, Nertea said:

Sorry, no idea offhand. Don't really know how RealPlume works. Typically that bug occurs when an effect is not referenced properly in the cfg by the engine file though. 

Ok thank you for the guidance :)

It was smokescreen that was the culprit :P!

Edited by Dermeister

11 hours ago, Bluebottle said:

Is that change the "all rights reserved" on the assets? I forget what it was in the past.

Yes.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:21 PM, IronCretin said:

Is there a list of what real-world engines these are based on?

I think I answered you the other day, but for anyone else, there's an indication of this in the cfg file for each engine. 

• 3 weeks later...