[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

6 hours ago, canisin said:

Hello @Nertea, thanks for the update! :)

I just noticed in the op that there seems to be a typo that states that Cryogenic Engines are designed to work well with Cryogenic Engines.

That should refer to KA, resolved. 

An important update if you use the large cryogenic tanks.

CryoEngines 0.5.1

• CryoTanks 0.4.1
    • Fixed volumes and descriptions of 5m hydrogen tanks
    • Normalized specular exponents and normal map depths on all tanks
    • Fixed a mesh duplication issue on 3.75m tanks
    • Reduced instances of distorted tanget normal map seams on all tanks, where I couldn't fix it I've covered the worst instances with 'intentional' seams
    • Restructured UV of 5m tanks to reduce tangent seam frequency

20 hours ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

I guess engines is now included in the tanks? On ckan it still reports tanks from 1.2.2 as a dependency, can you fix or do I need to be asking someone else for that?

There seems to be an issue with the latest version of CryoTanks not being indexed, and I've submitted a PR to fix it (just have to wait for it to get merged and then NetKAN to run, could be a few days).  But like Nertea said all future inquiries should go to the CKAN thread.

22 hours ago, Nertea said:

There's a great item in the OP FAQ about that.

Sorry @Nertea I needed to know if they had merged before I went to CKAN because if there was just another floating file out there I'd just go grab it as I did with the engines since CKAN's not grabbing it right. I figured it out though, engines are working marvelously and the tanks are all in one download now with the engines.. CKAN's just got its links confused and it sounds like blowfish is already on it. I was always under the impression that Cryo Engines and Cryo tanks were two separate downloads, but that apparently never was the case and CKAN has always had the engine/tank think messed up or the case has changed in the last update. You see, unfortunately, I could not figure out whether or not I was doing something wrong and missed something or if the ckan program is wrong so I have to ask the source to validate which case was correct. It didn't specify in the OP that the tanks were part of the engine pack though it did mention them. I do know CKAN is not supported, but that doesn't tell me whether there was one file or two, or another cryo tanks thread I could not locate, but experimenting helped me figure that out.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

5 hours ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

Sorry @Nertea I needed to know if they had merged before I went to CKAN because if there was just another floating file out there I'd just go grab it as I did with the engines since CKAN's not grabbing it right. I figured it out though, engines are working marvelously and the tanks are all in one download now with the engines.. CKAN's just got its links confused and it sounds like blowfish is already on it. I was always under the impression that Cryo Engines and Cryo tanks were two separate downloads, but that apparently never was the case and CKAN has always had the engine/tank think messed up or the case has changed in the last update. You see, unfortunately, I could not figure out whether or not I was doing something wrong and missed something or if the ckan program is wrong so I have to ask the source to validate which case was correct. It didn't specify in the OP that the tanks were part of the engine pack though it did mention them. I do know CKAN is not supported, but that doesn't tell me whether there was one file or two, or another cryo tanks thread I could not locate, but experimenting helped me figure that out.

As far as I remember, the Cryo Tanks have always been included in the download for Cryo Engines, and also for Kerbal Atomics.

Because CKAN doesn't allow files from one package to overwrite files from another package, it has to treat the shared components as a separate mod even if the package author has never distributed them that way.

2 hours ago, undercoveryankee said:

As far as I remember, the Cryo Tanks have always been included in the download for Cryo Engines, and also for Kerbal Atomics.

Because CKAN doesn't allow files from one package to overwrite files from another package, it has to treat the shared components as a separate mod even if the package author has never distributed them that way.

And now I know why Nertea gets so annoyed with CKAN. That must be a point of confusion for a lot of people.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

On 6/18/2017 at 4:47 PM, Phantom63rus said:

Very beautiful flame, but... where is the profit?

8_fB5dpZiGE.jpgghiE4TsK7ug.jpg

I have to agree, I don't know how the tank and engine masses have been rebalanced, but now there is no delta v gain from switching to cryogenic engines.

3 hours ago, mitko said:

I have to agree, I don't know how the tank and engine masses have been rebalanced, but now there is no delta v gain from switching to cryogenic engines.

There shouldn't necessarily be a delta-v gain on the cryo engines for themselves, but the cryo stage should be light enough that for the same delta-v, the overall vessel mass is less. That would lead to them being particularly useful as upper stages.

It does seem like a balancing mistake if the kerolox engine has more delta-v, more thrust, and also better weight. Either the stock engine is way overpowered, or the cryo engine is overly nerfed.

Yeah that's not right. Looks like when I fixed the patch that determines the fuel capacity (it was filling some tanks 2x much) I neglected to adjust the unit mass of the tank patch, leading to probably halved mass ratios for the LH2Ox and LH2 tanks. I'll fix that early next week when I have some time.

That example ship should get ~4220 m/s (vs 3700) with a mass of ~25.4t (vs 27.5). Also important to remember that the 2.5m cryo engine weighs ~ 1.75x the poodle's mass, so increasing the payload mass or using a smaller engine will have better results. Take the 1.25m cryo engine instead with that low payload mass, it'll add ~800 m/s and cut another 2t off the stage mass.

For the best benefits of cryo, use it for larger payloads that need really high energies. It shouldn't compare well on the low end of the payload mass/energy spectrum.

Edited by Nertea

I'm not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere.

In flight mode the log is spammed with

[Dynamic Battery Storage]: Refreshing data from Vessel event

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[Dynamic Battery Storage]: Trying to clear buffer storage

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5pg83xh1aze78c/2017-06-25-2 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

Fairly important update, which should see massive performance gains in all LH2-using engines due to the dry mass being fixed. 

CryoEngines 0.5.2

• Updated B9PartSwitch to version 1.8.1
  •  CryoTanks 0.4.2
    •  Fix incorrectly exported model for small 2.5m hydrogen tank
    •  Fix doubled dry mass of all hydrogen-containing tanks

Confirmed, output log spammed with

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Apaseall said:

Confirmed, output log spammed with

Reveal hidden contents

Read up 3 posts?

You do know that it doesn't "spam" the log? It sends a bunch of data to the log when it detects an event that requires the plugin to refresh itself. There will be 1-2 log messages per vessel in the game. It does not send a million messages per second.

But whatever, I guess you can tell me how to write a mod, right? Open source. Clone repo -> change what you want -> build -> have great fun!