[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

2 hours ago, 7thGalaxy said:

Hi

Yes, I have the full mod.  I can change the appearance of the tank, but I can't edit the contents.

Thanks

Could you post a picture of your GameData folder? The patch that definitely makes it able to choose different fuel types is the CryoTanksFuelTankTypes file in CryoTanks' patches folder.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, phoneix_007 said:

Is it RO-RP-0 compatible?

That's for the RO-RP-0 people to decide. Unless mods are specifically made for that suite, which this one is definitely not, compatibility must be added from their end.

Edited by Three_Pounds

I have a bit of an odd question for everyone reading this topic.  I hope you all don't mind.

First off, I just have to say, I love Nertea's mods.  At least a couple I always use, and they're all great at feeling built in and unobtrusive.  That all said, this mod...  It's actually one of the first I ever installed, and I have, for the life of me, NEVER understood what the point of it is.

That is to say, are there any situations where Cryogenic engines are better then their liquid fuel counterparts?  I know they're very high ISP but the fuel is so huge I always feel weird making these bloated rockets to achieve, basically the same thing I can with a much smaller form factor and a normal LF/O mix rocket.  Was it just "Hey, this is a cool idea for a rocket part, I want to put it in the game!" or is there some situation that I don't see where they excel.

5 minutes ago, Nephrahim said:

That is to say, are there any situations where Cryogenic engines are better then their liquid fuel counterparts?  I know they're very high ISP but the fuel is so huge I always feel weird making these bloated rockets to achieve, basically the same thing I can with a much smaller form factor and a normal LF/O mix rocket.  Was it just "Hey, this is a cool idea for a rocket part, I want to put it in the game!" or is there some situation that I don't see where they excel.

You should take a look at mass rather than volume - LH2 takes a lot more volume of tank, but the overall mass of the rocket will be less for the same delta-v.  Especially helps for upper stages, where having a lighter stage means you need a lot less booster to get it there.

52 minutes ago, Nephrahim said:

That is to say, are there any situations where Cryogenic engines are better then their liquid fuel counterparts?  I know they're very high ISP but the fuel is so huge I always feel weird making these bloated rockets to achieve, basically the same thing I can with a much smaller form factor and a normal LF/O mix rocket.

They're particularly useful for reusable spacecraft that stay in orbit for a long time, like for ferrying kerbals between LKO and Mun orbit or something.  Big tanks aren't as unwieldy once you're out of the atmosphere, and keeping the spacecraft in service for a long time means the fuel savings adds up.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Stratickus said:

Does anyone have a Module Manager patch to remove Cryo cooling from individual fuel tanks? I tried this, but it did not work:

I'm going to guess no because from looking at the config files and then digging into the source code, the cooling cost is not set on a by tank basis.  It is set by the SimpleBoiloff dll based on the fuel that is actually in the tank and whether or not it needs cooling to prevent boiloff.

Edited by Nergal8617

Hi!

Simple question, I've seen it around a few places and I've been gone some time from the forums. What's the gist with mod authors not showing any support for CKAN anymore? I know it's few and far between, but is it issues with the application or more human-based interactions? Additionally, if your mods are not supported by CKAN, why are they still found on there?

Lastly, what application do you use to install/uninstall all of your mods? I'd like to know about it. Is it, however, that you do it the old fashion way and simply keep track with a notepad?

Thanks for your time!

26 minutes ago, Drakomis said:

Hi!

Simple question, I've seen it around a few places and I've been gone some time from the forums. What's the gist with mod authors not showing any support for CKAN anymore? I know it's few and far between, but is it issues with the application or more human-based interactions? Additionally, if your mods are not supported by CKAN, why are they still found on there?

Lastly, what application do you use to install/uninstall all of your mods? I'd like to know about it. Is it, however, that you do it the old fashion way and simply keep track with a notepad?

Thanks for your time!

I manually install my mods and use kerbal version checker to track whether they are up to date or not.

With that said, when mods come with dependencies it's more complicated. I always keep the downloaded files, so I can open the original zip file and check what they come with.

4 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

I manually install my mods and use kerbal version checker to track whether they are up to date or not.

With that said, when mods come with dependencies it's more complicated. I always keep the downloaded files, so I can open the original zip file and check what they come with.

That's what I used to do with my own. This was before KVC and the like, but KVC made things much easier. Back during that time KSP was gunning for Curse as their premier download source, and there was another download site I forgot the name of that the community supported; KVC was really great back in the day for me, and I still use it. Can't recall that site I mentioned at the moment. Anyway, point being that's what I used to do, and only do for error checking.

Edited by Drakomis

15 hours ago, Nergal8617 said:

I'm going to guess no because from looking at the config files and then digging into the source code, the cooling cost is not set on a by tank basis.  It is set by the SimpleBoiloff dll based on the fuel that is actually in the tank and whether or not it needs cooling to prevent boiloff.

Well I know the reverse was true before the last update. Previously I would add the cooling capability via MM to a select number of fuel tanks to give more diversity in building LH2 rockets. I assumed it was possible to do the reverse. 

The boiloff was present on any tank that had LH2, but the ability to cool/prevent boiloff was only on certain tanks, not all of them. I think it was the last patch, but the decision was made to just add the cooling capability to all the tanks. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure it was for simplicity and there were probably a lot of users asking questions about it. Essentially what I am trying to do is limit my choices somewhat in design by removing the ability to cool certain (not all of them) fuel tanks.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Drakomis said:

You'll probably get more traction on the CKAN thread, but as it has been pointed out, I think its just one less thing for modders to manage by not having to worry about CKAN support. I imagine this becomes more work when you have multiple mods, with multiple dependencies, like NFT. As far as mods that don't explicitly have CKAN support from the mod author but are still listed on CKAN, it is often times by another user that is a fan of the mod. Or sometimes one of the 'CKAN guys.' Linuxgurugamer does this a lot. I think blowfish manages the CKAN for NFT.

Cheers,

Edited by Stratickus

1 hour ago, Stratickus said:

You'll probably get more traction on the CKAN thread, but as it has been pointed out, I think its just one less thing for modders to manage by not having to worry about CKAN support. I imagine this becomes more work when you have multiple mods, with multiple dependencies, like NFT. As far as mods that don't explicitly have CKAN support from the mod author but are still listed on CKAN, it is often times by another user that is a fan of the mod. Or sometimes one of the 'CKAN guys.' Linuxgurugamer does this a lot. I think blowfish manages the CKAN for NFT.

Cheers,

Hey Stratickus,

Thanks for the reply! I've never really considered asking on the CKAN thread, but I suppose I will soon. What you said makes sense. I'm not a code-monkey or any grade of "coder", so I'm unaware of the hardships. Thanks for taking the time to clear things up a bit!

4 hours ago, Stratickus said:

Essentially what I am trying to do is limit my choices somewhat in design by removing the ability to cool certain (not all of them) fuel tanks.

I'm not sure how you would accomplish this with the current set up, I am sure it would require additional coding and added complexity so the chances of it happening are slim.  Honestly if all you are looking for is to limit your design choices the simplest answer is to not use the tanks you want to remove the ability from when designing your spacecraft.

On 10/6/2017 at 9:40 PM, Stratickus said:

Does anyone have a Module Manager patch to remove Cryo cooling from individual fuel tanks? I tried this, but it did not work:

@PART[fuelTankSmallFlat]:AFTER[zzz_CryoTanks]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleCryoTank]
	{
		!CoolingCost{}
	}
}

Cheers,

Setting the cooling cost to 0.0 still works. Must be something in your MM patch itself (I'd try @CoolingCost = 0.0 personally, your syntax looks off).

Edited by Nertea

Will Liquid Methane + LOX tanks get added to this? Seems like a no-brainer with Raptor variants and Blue Origin engines in your "NFLaunchVehicles" mod. Sorry if this has been asked earlier, I'm posting this and then I have to get to work on a project for my job. If anyone has any details and could share, I'd greatly appreciate it!