[1.12.x] Cryogenic Engines: Liquid Hydrogen and Methane Rockets! (Jan 22, 2022)

Nertea

2 hours ago, EnriqueBNew said:

I think this mod goes well with RealFuels but not with stock KSP.

Because I think that LF is LqdHydrogen in stock KSP.

That would be fairly inconsistent with the density of LF and specific impulse of LFO engines. 

Well, these are awesome! Great as always, now I can continue my Orion replica! (I'm using Near Future Solar for its fancy circle solar panels that were for the old model, I'm not a fan of the new square solar panel design for Orion, the circle ones looked better)

On 2/18/2017 at 10:17 AM, EnriqueBNew said:

I don't think it's ever clarified for stock. I tend to assume LF is Kerosene because there's never a mention of the cryogenic issues tied to use of liquid hydrogen

On 2/18/2017 at 0:17 PM, EnriqueBNew said:

As Nertea said, this isn't really consistent with what's in the game.  Kerosene is a reasonable approximation, but arguably LF/O is actually much closer to a hypergolic combination like Aerozene+NTO because of (1) the density (2) NathanKell actually balanced the Isp values to be close to modern hypergolics and (3) There is no boiloff for either propellant

3 hours ago, eberkain said:

I can't seem to find a tweakscale config for these engines, is there some issue with them not working right with tweakscale?

Nertea himself doesn't do tweakscale. He's aesthetically opposed to the models being resized (a thing I'm totally okay with, just to be clear). But he doesn't stop you from making your own configs and sharing them.

@Nertea

Hello Nertea,sorry to bother you again! I think there exists a bug in the LH2 boil off display when switching vessels in space. I created two vessels, both of them have the LH2 tank in your mod. When using "[" and "]" on the keyboard to switch vessel 1 to vessel 2, the boil off status and insulation status of the LH2 tank on vessel 2 shows "N/A", and LH2 doesn't drain any electricity. Then I clicked "disable cooling", the LH2 started to boil off but won't stop even I clicked "enable cooling" again.  However, if I use Tracking Center to choose vessels, they seem to behave normal. The picture can be seen here:

http://imgur.com/ZvxWPFk and http://imgur.com/3R9yYN8

The mods I use are: All near future mods, KIS, planetary base system, KJR, TweakableEverything, TweakScale, UbioWeldingLtd, kerbal atomics.

The log file and craft file is here:http://pan.baidu.com/s/1o8c2pgI. The two vessels are both constructed by a remote control unit, a LH2 tank and a battery.

Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, whwraul7 said:

@Nertea

Hello Nertea,sorry to bother you again! I think there exists a bug in the LH2 boil off display when switching vessels in space. I created two vessels, both of them have the LH2 tank in your mod. When using "[" and "]" on the keyboard to switch vessel 1 to vessel 2, the boil off status and insulation status of the LH2 tank on vessel 2 shows "N/A", and LH2 doesn't drain any electricity. Then I clicked "disable cooling", the LH2 started to boil off but won't stop even I clicked "enable cooling" again.  However, if I use Tracking Center to choose vessels, they seem to behave normal. The picture can be seen here:

http://imgur.com/ZvxWPFk and http://imgur.com/3R9yYN8

The mods I use are: All near future mods, KIS, planetary base system, KJR, TweakableEverything, TweakScale, UbioWeldingLtd, kerbal atomics.

The log file and craft file is here:http://pan.baidu.com/s/1o8c2pgI. The two vessels are both constructed by a remote control unit, a LH2 tank and a battery.

Thanks a lot!

I can't seem to access that link to your log, is there anywhere else you can upload it to?

Edited by Nertea

Hello, 

An interesting mod for the deeper science. Thank you for making it. This is my first time using it but I'm no stranger to KSP (3 khr)

Short form: Struggling to match Cryo Engine to the right fuel tanks.

A quick/bug Im having is getting a match between engine and a cryo fuel tank. I have the mods "Cyrogenic Engines" and "Cyrogenic Tanks" installed. There is host of other mods so perhaps one is conflicting. Could also be Im missing something on the how to use the two mods. The most likely mod interference, if it is, is "Interstellar Fuel Switch" with its "Interstellar Fuel Switch Core" or "Modular Fuel Tanks".

If I use a (vanilla?) Rockomax x32 I can choose a matching Lqd Hydrogen and Oxidizer fuel combo (12,723/848). That fuel tank doesn't appear to have the boil off code associated. So I'd be getting that wonderful ISP without the trade off of needing active electric cooling.

If I use a Cyrogenic Tank such as CT2501 it only holds one fuel type. So that would be the Liquid Hydrogen. Now I need an Oxidizer only tank to provide the mix. Cycling through the tank types for CT2501 there is a Lqd Oxygen but not an Oxidizer. Oxidizer doesn't need cryo freeze so I get that. 

If I attach a Rockomax x32 I can zero out its normal 720 LF and keep the 880 Oxidizer. This gives me enough Oxidizer. However, Im carrying a lot of empty tank to do that.

How should I proceed in resolving this?

sorry for asking but i kinda dont see the merit of LH2 in stock. its just way too less dense for any reasonable use,even considering the impressive isp of  nuke engines...as the density for LF is way more superior , i kinda end up using stock parts only. I consider volume as much as  mass considering aerodynamics.  any  help here? pretty please? i just dont know how to use these LH2 fuels and engines in a reasonable way...some pointers will be really helpful

Edited by dingdong

On 2017/2/28 at 5:14 AM, Nertea said:

The log doesn't contain any visible problems so this will be a tough debug. No idea what's wrong yet.

Thank you! I test it today by deleting other mods and only keeping the "Cryo tanks" mod, the problem still exist. Hope this information will help.   

11 hours ago, Nertea said:

So you're basically looking at the intersection of 3 mods providing fuel switchers., MFT, IFS and CryoTanks. I can only support installations with CryoTanks-only. Suggest picking one to use uniquely. 

Okay. Thanks for the info. As I was writing that up I started to wonder if I had over done it on the fuel mods. Thanks again for your mod and your time in support. I've chosen IFS as it is a dependency for various others mods Im using. MFT I could uninstall on its own. CyroTanks is still there for their custom tanks. At least I know what is going on.

On 2/28/2017 at 0:34 PM, Nertea said:

So you're basically looking at the intersection of 3 mods providing fuel switchers., MFT, IFS and CryoTanks. I can only support installations with CryoTanks-only. Suggest picking one to use uniquely. 

I'm having the same issue, with the same three mods. What configuration do you recommend for use with Procedural Parts and the many mods that require IFS? I'd guess an MM config could do it, and it looks like CryoTanks has configs for MFS and PP.

Edited by dlrk

On 2/28/2017 at 7:22 PM, whwraul7 said:

Thank you! I test it today by deleting other mods and only keeping the "Cryo tanks" mod, the problem still exist. Hope this information will help.   

I resolved this today, will be in next build.

1 minute ago, dlrk said:

I'm having the same issue, with the same three mods. What configuration do you recommend for use with Procedural Parts?

Here's a series of statements that I hope you can extract information you need. 

• There is a MFT config in the pack that I do not maintain, I currently assume it works, it is community maintained. 
  • There is a PP config in the pack that I do not maintain, I currently assume it works, it is community maintained. I assume this only provides new tank types for PP to select. 
  • Fuel switchers do different things
    • The configurations supplied with CryoTanks modify the stock LFO tanks only, and lets you change them to LF, LFO, O, LH2, and LH2O.
    • Last time I checked, IFS core makes all sorts of changes to some subset of tanks to make them switchable to something. 
    • MFT is the whole deal which I think lets you switch whatever with whatever. 

What do I recommend? Obviously use the bundled stuff in the mod package (B9PartSwitch with CryoTanks). If you use MFT/IFS, there will probably be some conflicts as different mods try to target the stock tanks. However, if you just use PP + CryoTanks, there should be no incompatibilities - CT will handle the fuel switching on the stock tanks, and PP will do its own thing.

Cryogenic Engines 0.4.6

•  Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 1.7.1
  •  Updated CRP to 0.6.6
  •  Updated AVC link
  •  Added description to VL-1 Volcano
  •  Fixed incorrect naming of normal maps for 3.75m engines
  •  Fixed a boiloff issue that could occur when switching ships that were close to each other

On 2/28/2017 at 8:44 PM, dingdong said:

sorry for asking but i kinda dont see the merit of LH2 in stock. its just way too less dense for any reasonable use,even considering the impressive isp of  nuke engines...as the density for LF is way more superior , i kinda end up using stock parts only. I consider volume as much as  mass considering aerodynamics.  any  help here? pretty please? i just dont know how to use these LH2 fuels and engines in a reasonable way...some pointers will be really helpful

Aerodynamics only matter when you're in the atmosphere.  If your rocket is just meant to go up to LKO and come back down, it's probably not worth using cryogenic engines, but they're much more economical if it's going to be spending most of its time in space, where bulky fuel tanks don't matter.  For example: a crew transport used to move kerbals between a station orbiting Kerbin and one orbiting the Mun.  Cryo/nuke engines let you make more trips back and forth before having to refuel.

If you mine asteroids to refuel your craft in orbit (which is generally cheaper than launching tankers from Kerbin), LH2 will give you more total dV from each asteroid.

Don't suppose we could add alternators to the cryo engines as a means to have EC to power the cryo tanks? ^_^

Just an idea. 

I was doing some test flying and figured I'd be good because the engine was running.