Ranger challenge (imitate 60's nasa mission)

In the 1960s NASA attempted to do a mission with a probe that would crash into the moon and release a heavily armoured capsule that would survive the crash and collect data.

I want you guys to build a probe that will crash into the mun at orbital velocities and have a small instrumented capsule with an antenna survive

Edited by daniel l.

i dont quite get what you mean, have i done something wrong?

He just means you should check the guidelines for challenge submission before you submit a challenge. In this case, we would need a little more information and proof that this challenge is possible*.

*You will need to actually complete the challenge and show us some sort of screenshots or video proof.

And if I'm not mistaken, the Ranger missions were never designed to survive impact, rather they gathered data on the way down (the ones that didn't malfunction).

the missions intended to survive were among the many that failed xD

Okay, well you could do a crash landing below 80m/s with proper use of structural plates / I-beams, but I'd be surprised if anything survived more than that.

Maybe layers of structural plates with I-beams vertically stacked between them?

Edit: I was also hoping this would be a "try to make the Ranger from Interstellar" challenge. Oh well. :)

Edited by Slam_Jones

• 3 months later...

OK, so this challenge might not seem to be so interesting, but I think it's important for us all to remember the importance of the Ranger program at the moment in history in which it occurred. It was incepted before Apollo, but yet provided an incredible foundation for Apollo.

Credit to the Ranger Pioneers!

View the IMGUR Album Here http://imgur.com/a/JImGk#0 since it seems to not display so well in the forum message format.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

OK, so this challenge might not seem to be so interesting, but I think it's important for us all to remember the importance of the Ranger program at the moment in history in which it occurred. It was incepted before Apollo, but yet provided an incredible foundation for Apollo.

Credit to the Ranger Pioneers!

View the IMGUR Album Here http://imgur.com/a/JImGk#0 since it seems to not display so well in the forum message format.

http://imgur.com/a/JImGk

Wow thats great!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.