Can't do orbital survey

Maybe I'm just doing something really stupid I'm overlooking but the game refuses to let me do an orbital survey of Kerbin

I'm playing in sandbox. built my rocket with a scanner, put it up in orbit and every time I try to do a scan it says "You must be in a stable polar orbit between 60km and 1500km" do the conversions and(side note could we have the message in meters and not kilometers to just make it a little easier?) 60km=60,000m and 150km=150,000m. Well my craft has a periapsis of 90,956m and apoapsis of 138,879m and I'm still getting the message I need to be within 60km and 150km

relevant pictures

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=434456263

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=434456243

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=434456231

I was having the same problem from a polar orbit. It wasn't until I brought my altitude up closer to 70km that I was able to perform a scan. Also I wonder what the point is of being in a stable polar orbit when you don't need to complete a single orbit to get data for an entire celestial body. I guess I had expected it to be more like Kethane since that's clearly where the developers got the idea.

I think it was a deliberate choice to have the user set up a scanner orbit as if you have to scan the whole planet, but eliminated the waiting part (since most people timewarp anyway). Time is relatively meaningless in the stock game, so this is a way to keep people from having to wait or timewarp to get the maps.

Cheers,

-Claw

I think it was a deliberate choice to have the user set up a scanner orbit as if you have to scan the whole planet, but eliminated the waiting part (since most people timewarp anyway). Time is relatively meaningless in the stock game, so this is a way to keep people from having to wait or timewarp to get the maps.

Cheers,

-Claw

Can we make it an option in a future update maybe? If I'm going through the trouble of building a satellite, launching it and getting it into a very specific orbit, I want it to work like an actual satellite. I might add that resources on asteroids are just assumed it would seem. It just seems to be a rough percentage of the asteroid is resources and once those are gone you are left with an extremely lightweight asteroid. No scanning or anything is required. I guess I was sort-of hoping there would be a way to visualize this. I honestly was also expecting the asteroid to collapse once it was depleted, but since they don't I guess I'll make a sculpture out of them or something.

I just put a sat into a polar orbit around the Mun and cannot perform survey. Stock 1.0.

My orbit is 24,302m by 24,370m. Heading at the equator is 181 or 359.

Why does it say I cannot perform survey? I am in a polar orbit. I am under 25 km...

I just put a sat into a polar orbit around the Mun and cannot perform survey. Stock 1.0.

My orbit is 24,302m by 24,370m. Heading at the equator is 181 or 359.

Why does it say I cannot perform survey? I am in a polar orbit. I am under 25 km...

Must be above 25,000m (25km)

Edited by skola28
For some reason I thought the error specified 60km.

• 1 month later...

I am having an issue with the Survey Scanner as well. Mostly stock KSP except for darkmultiplayer which I am not using while this issue occurs. I am in a polar orbit around Duna trying to scan it, and I am in the range I can scan it in except when I tell it to scan it just loops the "transmitting data" message uses all my power and then transmits again indefinitely with no results.

• 11 months later...

Thanks, I mistakenly read 1000km as 1000m. This is my second rocket (first one was in polar orbit) to do this mission and it cost me over 250k money, nearly equal to the reward. :(

Edited by CanOmer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.