How often do you visit the Mun?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you visit the Mun?

• I go there frequently
    • I have no strong opinions on it
    • I go there if I'm desperate and then get out
    • I never visit under any circumstances
    • Other, I'll explain below

Its my first outside-of-LKO place to visit in every new career. I try to land in every major crater, grab much science to fill out the tech tree up to the 160 level. Going to Minmus is more tedious, less challenging, and generally too minty for me. Its definitely helpful for the science points, but less... interesting.

Its a place i go, but its not exactly my favorite spot. I tend to work either in very low gravity such as minmus and some jool moons, or tend to stick to atmospheric planets such as laythe and duna.

That might change now that the drills give new meaning to helium 3 mine which i modeled on the mun in an old save......i can actually mine stuff.....time to bring that back. That reminds me, i need to update the zeppelin styled capital ship to work with 1.0, and maybee i can find a way to cut down its absurd 1000+ part count.....

Edited by panzer1b

I tell you, traveling around the moon is a blast. Moving your mobile base at 20m/s and 4 times time acceleration, using wheels and RCS to stabilize tricky situations, planning every step of your route ahead through the impossible terrain, overcoming obstacles such as giant canyons, huge landbridges and craters so big you need to zoom out to actually understand their structure. I think I went 80km, maybe a bit more, crossing a whole bunch of biomes.

New moon is amazing.

No, the updated geometry, not the terrible one with those sparkly vampires.

The Mun's pretty much my first and last port of call in Career mode for science. With so many tasty biomes to gather data from, how can one not be tempted? Of course, once that's done, there's not a lot of reason to go back.

The Mun's pretty much my first and last port of call in Career mode for science. With so many tasty biomes to gather data from, how can one not be tempted? Of course, once that's done, there's not a lot of reason to go back.

i use Mun for learning the new resource system, Mun has the benefit of short traveling distance. Its an general nice place for testing stuff in lower gravity and vacuum.

Aside from contracts specifically requesting something on the Mun, I avoid it, for bases/resources, etc, it's only a tiny bit more dV to get to Minmus, and a massively reduced amount of dV required to land/take off/orbit... the only thing the Mun seems to be better for is rovers, and I've been having absolutely horrid luck with the rovers - namely their inability to stop without RCS, even without applying throttle, brakes on, and holding reverse, they only go faster and faster... and then when I reload a quicksave they get dropped from low orbit and explode.

Minmus takes longer to get to, but the Mun has higher gravity to deal with. Bases and things tend to go on Minmus, but for short trips and rovers the Mun is better. Rovers tend to have trouble stopping in a non-destructive manner on Minmus.

Minmus has to be the place for mining though. The small extra dV to get there (with mostly empty fuel tanks) is outweighed by the ease of bringing things up from the surface.

Why do I always have to answer "Other"?

I always go to the Mun first in a new career, unless I'm doing something crazy like trying to get through the entire career without ever visiting Mun or Minmus. Always. As soon as I can get out of LKO, Mun here I come.

After I've done the bare minimum there, though, I do any REAL Kerbin-SOI work on Minmus. Mun is just too annoyingly big compared to its little minty brother.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.