[1.0.5] regex's Useful Mod Emporium

regex

Can the launch sites in KSC Switcher be over written with an Module Manager config?
Is it possible to add new launch sites with the KSC Switcher?
Yes. Let me show you how to make a simple MM config that preserves the current launch site list while adding a new one.

Using the previously posted NK launch site:

@KSCSWITCHER:AFTER[RealSolarSystem]
{
@LaunchSites
{
Site
{
name = kp_musudanri
displayName = KP - Musudan-ri
description = The Tonghae Satellite Launching Ground, also known as Musudan-ri, is a rocket launching site in North Korea.
PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
latitude = 40.85
longitude = 129.66667
repositionRadiusOffset = 1126
repositionToSphereSurface = false
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
radius = 20000
heightMapDeformity = 80
absoluteOffset = 1073
absolute = true
latitude = 40.85
longitude = 129.66667
}
}
}
}

It is VERY IMPORTANT to add the ":AFTER[RealSolarSystem]" line to your new config because Real Solar System stomps the launch sites config file to implement its own. This is why your launch site did not load. If using RSS, I highly recommend adding your own sites in a "@KSCSWITCHER:AFTER[RealSolarSystem]" node within your own personal script, that way it will always be available to you.

If you are NOT using RSS, and want to stomp the launch site list to implement your own, use the following template and add Site nodes are desired:

@KSCSWITCHER
{
@LaunchSites
{
!Site,* {}
Site
{
}
}
}

You may also want to change the DefaultSite to one of your new sites.

I'm not comfortable releasing the file without Cydonian Monk's and regex's permissions, and really it should be a modulemanager config, I just can't be bothered to look up all the syntax right now. But if anybody wants it and PMs me, I'll happily send it your way.
Feel free to release whatever changes to my code/configs you want pursuant to the license.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so, I've been away, neglecting all sorts of things. There are a few reasons why, namely having house guests for two weeks, general burn-out, it being summer, moving to a new team at work (and learning a new programming language, always a recipe for "I don't want to look at code at home"), and going through the motions of buying a house. Enough about me.

KSCSwitcher has been updated to work with Kopernicus; there was an issue with the rebuilt target list still saying "Kerbin" when "Earth" was targeted, so the draw routine never thought the homeworld was highlighted. I have worked around that and also implemented a few minor changes that might help performance, if there were any problem in the Tracking Station from KSCSwitcher to begin with.

I am yanking Aero Arrows because the hotkey is more convenient and doesn't clutter the list. Less things for me to update, too. I am considering yanking Thermal Helper, although you still have to go through the debug menu to get the detailed information, which I find handy, so I think I'll keep it.

I am also yanking PID Tuner because I have never really had a love for it and it seems that crzyrndm has a PID plugin that is much better, although I haven't tried it. Contact me if you want the source for whatever (pursuant to the license).

I am in the process of updating the remaining mods to 1.0.4 for CKAN. That should be done pretty soon today. Once that is finished I am getting back to Real ISRU.

Sorry Regex, even with the risk of being ignored i have to ask, is there a way to move the KSC to ... errr .... Minmus for example?
That would require changing the homeworld, something like Kopernicus might allow it (for instance, RSS uses Earth for the homeworld, but I'm not sure what kind of trickery is involved). As an aside, I am not going to support switching KSC between planets.

... it doesn't seems to be possible ...

A pity but i was already afraid that it wouldn't be impossible. It could have helped reducing the number of required parts for creating a functioning and selfsustaining base on Minmus. Thanks anyway.

I've been using S^3 (kerbin scale solar system) with KSC switcher, but I've run into an interesting visual error at Kourou:

sCnfbZA.png?1

I presume this is due to the change in scale, but my question is within your config, which lines should I edit and how, to reduce the visibility of this?

I'm not comfortable releasing the file without Cydonian Monk's and regex's permissions, and really it should be a modulemanager config, I just can't be bothered to look up all the syntax right now.

Fine by me, share it however you like. :)

Since we seem to be sharing RSS launch sites, here's a configuration for Brazil's Alcântara launch facility, situated a couple degrees South of the equator. (It still needs rotated so 90° is East, which I might do tonight. I'll edit this post when I fix it. It could also use a less-lazy description.) Feel free to drop this into your RSS configs or module manager it in as you see fit.

Site
{
name = br_alcantara
displayName = BR - Alcantara
description = Brazil.
PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
latitude = -2.373056
longitude = -44.396389
repositionRadiusOffset = 98
repositionToSphereSurface = false
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
radius = 20000
heightMapDeformity = 80
absoluteOffset = 45
absolute = true
latitude = -2.373056
longitude = -44.396389
}
}

I presume this is due to the change in scale, but my question is within your config, which lines should I edit and how, to reduce the visibility of this?
I have no idea what's going on there but I would suggest editing perhaps the heightMapDeformity of the PQSMod_MapDecalTangent up a few meters to see if that helps. Alternatively, move it a few seconds in some direction.
Since we seem to be sharing RSS launch sites, here's a configuration for Brazil's Alcântara launch facility, situated a couple degrees South of the equator. (It still needs rotated so 90° is East, which I might do tonight. I'll edit this post when I fix it. It could also use a less-lazy description.) Feel free to drop this into your RSS configs or module manager it in as you see fit.
You might want to forward this on to the RO folks since I'm considering scraping out the default config to only include 5thHorseman's KSC config since Realism Overhaul completely overrides the default config to begin with. This would also make it a bit easier for people to add launch sites via ModuleManager plus I don't get blamed when something looks like crap because I really don't want to maintain launch sites.

Also, I made a change to Kerbal Renamer to support multiple "cultures". The config file format has changed, you'll need to update your personal configs. The default config now contains both Russian and American "cultures" to create names from so you can have all the Space Race feels you actually wanted during the Cold War in your space program. Send Marilyn Howell into space with Alexei Utyuzhin and see what happens.

Edited by regex

I'm trying to get a custom launch site set up here and just having no luck. For starters, when the game loads the sky is black at KSC. Going into the flight scene, memory usage shoots way up, the buildings show up for a fraction of a second, then disappear and whatever's on the launchpad drops. I'm guessing this is a combo of wrong setup + something else causing problems. Here's the MM config I'm using:

@KSCSWITCHER
{
@LaunchSites
{
Site
{
name = kermangrad
displayName = UU - Kermangrad
description = Kermangrad
PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
latitude = 42.5
longitude = -162.5
repositionToSphereSurface = true
repositionRadiusOffset = 0
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
reorientFinalAngle = -153
}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
radius = 1
heightMapDeformity = 80
absoluteOffset = 0
absolute = true
latitude = 42.5
longitude = -162.5
}
}
}
}

Lat & lon are obvious enough, but I really don't have much idea what the other settings do. Just guessing and plugging in numbers seems to be getting me close, but then there's the memory hog+no sky thing. Here's the logfile if that helps. Yes, I'm aware MechJeb is throwing a bunch of stuff, think it's restricted to the VAB with a bad window field.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onwn5ns7yihakr2/KSPswitcher.log?dl=0

Lat & lon are obvious enough, but I really don't have much idea what the other settings do. Just guessing and plugging in numbers seems to be getting me close, but then there's the memory hog+no sky thing.

Some of these settings are still esoteric to me, but a few you may want to change:

repositionRadiusOffset = ???? //For KSC, this is 43. I'm not 100% sure what it means though
repositionToSphereSurface = false //I don't know what this does, but I've always had it set to false.
reorientFinalAngle = 207 //I've only ever seen these positive. Shouldn't hurt, but hey why not.
radius = 7000 //I don't know what you acutally want, but 1 is way too small. This is the flat ground around KSC. The one around the actual KSC is 7000.
heightMapDeformity = 0 //Start with 0, then try other numbers once things are fine. I've never tried anything but 0.
absoluteOffset = ???? //Try setting this to whatever altitude you want to be at when you're standing on the flat area.

with this mod, is it possible to have a plane take off from one site and then land at one of the other sites?

So, basically, can the KSC be switched in flight, for plane and or space craft?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers, and great mods...

with this mod, is it possible to have a plane take off from one site and then land at one of the other sites?

You can't switch KSCs while controlling a craft. You MUST be in the tracking station.

However you CAN launch your plane onto the runway, go back to the tracking station, change the KSC to somewhere else, go back to your plane (which will now be sitting on the ground. Or splashed into the water. YMMV, warranty void if process is used), take off, and fly to the "new" KSC. You can also launch a ship into orbit, go back to the tracking station, change KSC, go back to your orbiting (even sub-orbital, but you should be in space at least) ship, and land at the "new" KSC.

- - - Updated - - -

You can press F12 to toggle the aero arrows in stock, if that is what you are after.

I don't know why, but I prefer having the clicky button :D

Some of these settings are still esoteric to me, but a few you may want to change:

repositionRadiusOffset = ???? //For KSC, this is 43. I'm not 100% sure what it means though
repositionToSphereSurface = false //I don't know what this does, but I've always had it set to false.
reorientFinalAngle = 207 //I've only ever seen these positive. Shouldn't hurt, but hey why not.
radius = 7000 //I don't know what you acutally want, but 1 is way too small. This is the flat ground around KSC. The one around the actual KSC is 7000.
heightMapDeformity = 0 //Start with 0, then try other numbers once things are fine. I've never tried anything but 0.
absoluteOffset = ???? //Try setting this to whatever altitude you want to be at when you're standing on the flat area.

Ok getting a little closer from that, but still mostly guessing. My space center view is still skyless & buggy as hell, but the flight scene seems ok... For about ten seconds till I get an out of memory crash.

Can you switch sites with active flights? Yes. Can you switch sites while actively flying? I don't know and I'm not sure what would happen if I let you. I'll try it out I suppose, already have most of the GUI built, but it'll take some time before I get around to it.

Did I read KErbal Renamer and problems with Russian names? I can help you out, PM me.
Download the mod and check it out. I don't mind fixing things up a bit but AFAIK the issue was corrected by adding female surnames. The name file could likely use some work.
Ok getting a little closer from that, but still mostly guessing. My space center view is still skyless & buggy as hell, but the flight scene seems ok... For about ten seconds till I get an out of memory crash.
IIRC repositionToSphereSurface never really worked well, use repositionRadiusOffset to set the altitude of the site. What's likely happening is that your site is underground and the map decal can't compensate because it's too small or above the KSC. Check other sites and respect the difference between repositionRadiusOffset and absoluteOffset.

E: FYI these are Squad's parameters for KSC, all this mod does is plug them into the game and tell it to do its thing.

Edited by regex

Thanks for looking into ability to switch active site while flying plane. No problem if in non atmospheric flight (orbit or deep space) as can be changed at space center. But would be real nice if could somehow change with 'normal' aircraft and without having to take off from 'grass' or 'water', etc...

LoL...

Thanks regex.!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
How do you create your own KSC Switcher locations?
You can use this one for a template:

@KSCSWITCHER:AFTER[RealSolarSystem]
{
@LaunchSites
{
Site
{
name = kermangrad
displayName = UU - Kermangrad
description = Kermangrad
PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
latitude = 42.5
longitude = -162.5
repositionToSphereSurface = true
repositionRadiusOffset = 0
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
reorientFinalAngle = -153
}
PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
{
radius = 1
heightMapDeformity = 80
absoluteOffset = 0
absolute = true
latitude = 42.5
longitude = -162.5
}
}
}
}

Don't change the KEYname, ensure it has a unique "name" field, make displayName and description pretty much whatever you want, and reference this document for help on the other variables:

https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/PQSCity-and-PQSMod_MapDecalTangent