[Guide] New temperature rules for parts in 1.0 (1.0.2 updates)

Enceos

About maxLinksAway  property in ModuleActiveRadiator, it does not have any backing field in the class itself, yet all stock radiator specify them in the part module. Could anyone give me clear answer weather or not this property has any effect?

• 2 weeks later...

@Enceos Parts have a new field that you will want to add to the OP

absorptiveConstant = constant affecting  radiation absorption. If blank then it uses emissiveConstant (i.e. same behavior as KSP 1.0 - 1.0.5)

It may seem at first as though having absorptiveConstant different from emissiveConstant would violate the laws of thermal radiation, but the absorption and emission are based on wavelength so you can have a material with a high emission (0.8 - 0.9) where it's emitting primarily in the infrared but a low absorption. Good real life examples would be certain matte white paints used by NASA on ISS radiators (IIRC: e = 0.92, a = 0.15) or the white shuttle tiles which were something like e = 0.6, a = 0.2. (or something similar)

No stock parts make use of this property.

@Starwaster Thanks a lot for the info. Unfortunately many things in the OP are obsolete, it needs a complete rewrite for KSP 1.1.2. I'm not aware of all the thermodynamic changes this year's update has brought us, didn't have time to dig in yet.

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.