[1.8.1 - 1.12.5] Interstellar Fuel Switch (IFS) 3.29.5

FreeThinker

11 hours ago, gonzo98x said:

@FreeThinker I posted this in the FuelTanks+ Forum and was asked to reach out to you. This is a cut and paste of that post.

Here's a fun little trick

Step 1) Take the MK1-2 Command Pod (Or any pod. I just happened to pick this one)

Step 2) Attach the Kerbodyne S3-10800-FTP tank or the S3-1800-FTP or the S3-21600-FTP and tweakscale the size down to 2.5m.

Step 3) Now remove all but leave the least amount of fuel and oxidizer in the tank. (This step is important) 

Step 4) ???

Step 5) Watch the craft slowly float upwards. I saw this bug/feature lift my 38 ton MAV off the launchpad. 

Now this wouldn't be such a huge problem except that when the part floats up about 10 meters it then stays there and can't go any higher. Firing engines with a TWR of 2.00 doesn't move the craft an inch. It is stuck at the height and can't go any higher.

That's a tweakscall problem not FuelTanks+

I tested this using the stock 3.75 m S3-3600 tank and did not have the same result. (Re-sized and removed fuel)  Also, if I take a smaller FTP tank and size it UP this doesn't happen. Likewise, if I use a 2.5 meter tank this does not happen. Only when I downsize the 3.75m tank and remove most of the fuel.

OK. Then that's a Interstellaer Fuel Switch issue

That might be the case. Though, Since I can only recreate the issue using a FTP tank (and only a certain sized tank) I figured i would mention it here. I did read how IFS put out a patch that was designed to fix some phantom force issue. Maybe that's what this is. Either way, I hope this helps.

P.S. All mods have been update to their 1.1.2 version

Tweakscale 2.2.9

Interstellar Fuel Switch 1.28

Fuel Tanks Plus 1.8.3

After a bit of testing with Kerbal Engineer it seem that the craft has a constant vertical acceleration of 192 mm/s. And the craft will actually not level off but continue upwards very slowly. The previous point stands though that even if I fire my engines the craft will not move any faster

** A bit more testing - If while in flight drifting upwards at a breakneck speed of 192 mm/s I transfer fuel from another tank into the affected tank, the phantom force will disappear and the craft will plummet back down to Kerbin. If I then remove the fuel, the effect return to take me to the heavens. Painfully slowly.

*** Moar testing - If I add fuel to the affected tank to remove the phantom force, I can then fire my engines as normal and the rocket lifts up. Great! If I then remove the fuel and shut off my engines my craft will continue flying upwards at the current speed the craft was traveling at. (In this case it was 35 m/s) 

For reference the dry mass of the tank is .33333 -This is when the force exists.

If I add fuel to the tank (I don't need to add oxidizer. It just needs more mass), once the mass goes above .8t the phantom force disappears.

Please try to reproduce with IFS 1.27  I have good reasons to beleive the last update does not initialize the initila mass correctly. Whay you see as Frymass, is actualy the target mass, not the actual mass. They supposed to be the same as long as it is correctly initialised

Edited by FreeThinker

Version 1.29 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.2

Released on 2016-05-02

• re-Fixed floating problem when downsizing some tanks
  • Added 2 new properties: inEditorSwitchingTechReq and inFlightSwitchingTechReq which allows specifying the technology at which the ability to switch tanks becomes available

23 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:
  • Added 2 new properties: inEditorSwitchingTechReq and inFlightSwitchingTechReq which allows specifying the technology at which the ability to switch tanks becomes available

Oh... I love when things integrate with the tech tree :cool:

5 minutes ago, Warezcrawler said:

Oh... I love when things integrate with the tech tree :cool:

Indeed, it allows more balanced gameplay

I'm even thinking to allow configuration on a for each tank base, that way, the more advanced resources like Xenon won't get available until after the first stock tanks with this resource start appearing

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

I'm even thinking to allow configuration on a for each tank base, that way, the more advanced resources like Xenon won't get available until after the first stock tanks with this resource start appearing

That would be sweet indeed :D

So, having an issue with IFS. Here is how to duplicate:

1. Clean KSP install with 1.29 IFS and a stock fuel switch configuration. (I've tried it with both the PorkJet SFS config file and with NecroBones Fuel Tanks Plus, just to make sure it wasn't something in the configuration file.)

2. Go into the VAB, place a fuel tank in the build screen. Then radially attach six more fuel tanks to it. Change the radial tanks to Liquid Fuel only configuration. Now you can't save the vessel. You can save it if you leave them at LFO, or if you change them to Oxidizer. But if they are Liquid Fuel it won't save the ship. If you try to launch it, it seizes the game. All the while it is spamming the log file with this:

[EXC 20:06:29.610] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    InterstellarFuelSwitch.InterstellarFuelSwitch.UpdateMassRatio ()
    InterstellarFuelSwitch.InterstellarFuelSwitch.GetModuleMass (Single defaultMass, ModifierStagingSituation sit)

Thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, TheSaint said:

So, having an issue with IFS. Here is how to duplicate:

1. Clean KSP install with 1.29 IFS and a stock fuel switch configuration. (I've tried it with both the PorkJet SFS config file and with NecroBones Fuel Tanks Plus, just to make sure it wasn't something in the configuration file.)

2. Go into the VAB, place a fuel tank in the build screen. Then radially attach six more fuel tanks to it. Change the radial tanks to Liquid Fuel only configuration. Now you can't save the vessel. You can save it if you leave them at LFO, or if you change them to Oxidizer. But if they are Liquid Fuel it won't save the ship. If you try to launch it, it seizes the game. All the while it is spamming the log file with this:

[EXC 20:06:29.610] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    InterstellarFuelSwitch.InterstellarFuelSwitch.UpdateMassRatio ()
    InterstellarFuelSwitch.InterstellarFuelSwitch.GetModuleMass (Single defaultMass, ModifierStagingSituation sit)

Thanks in advance. 

Intresting. Exactly what "stock fuel configuration" did you use?

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Intresting. Exactly what "stock fuel configuration" did you use?

As I said in the original post, I used the Porkjet Stock Fuel Switch (you have to remove some line feeds from the config they post in that thread, but it worked just fine up until the last iteration of IFS), and just to be sure it wasn't something in the configuration I went ahead and retried it with Fuel Tanks Plus.  

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

As I said in the original post, I used the Porkjet Stock Fuel Switch (you have to remove some line feeds from the config they post in that thread, but it worked just fine up until the last iteration of IFS), and just to be sure it wasn't something in the configuration I went ahead and retried it with Fuel Tanks Plus.  

Alright, I was able to reproduce the problem but not with KSPI-E tanks, which are based of Fuel Tank Plus models. However, I identified the problem and fixed it. Will update a fix version shortly

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, I was able to reproduce the problem but not with KSPI-E tanks, which are based of Fuel Tank Plus models. However, I identified the problem and fixed it. Will update a fix version shortly

Thanks, I'll try it out tonight when I get home from work. 

I'm on the latest version but all my Fuel tanks (From Fuel Tanks plus) or any that use this mod the textures are all broken. Latest version of KSP 1.1.2 64 bit.

Edited by Soviet03

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.30 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.2

Released on 2016-05-04

• Fixed exceptions while switching to Liquid Fuel in radially attached tanks

Okay, tried it out tonight and the issue is resolved. Thanks so much for your prompt fix! 

Does anyone have a MMconfig that adds this function to every tank, even modded ones? I always used porkjets Stock Fuel Switch, but it doesn't seem to work in 1.1.2 and neither does the mod listed in the OP.

8 hours ago, stryth said:

Does anyone have a MMconfig that adds this function to every tank, even modded ones? I always used porkjets Stock Fuel Switch, but it doesn't seem to work in 1.1.2 and neither does the mod listed in the OP.

This will probably do what you want. Just make a text file somewhere under GameData that ends in '.cfg', and paste this into it. This doesn't take into account some of the newest features in IFS, such as setting an automatic mass ratio, but it's easier this way when using other fuels that need separate mass ratios, like MonoPropellant.

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel],@RESOURCE[Oxidizer],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[B9PartSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch&!CryoTanks&!ModularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FOR[zInterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
	%LF = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
	%OX = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$
	%totalCap = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
	@totalCap += #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$

%Monoprop = #$mass$
	@Monoprop *= 1880

MODULE
	{
		name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
		volumeMultiplier = 1
		massMultiplier = 1
		resourceGui = LFO;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant
		resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant
		resourceAmounts = #$../LF$,$../OX$;$../totalCap$;$../totalCap$;$../Monoprop$
		basePartMass = #$../mass$
	}
	!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
	!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
}
@PART[*]:FINAL
{
	// Remove temporary variables to eliminate log spam
	!LF = 0
	!OX = 0
	!Monoprop = 0
	!totalCap = 0
}

8 hours ago, stryth said:

@Porkjet, is Stock Fuel Switch upgrade-able to 1.1.2?  And don't say "When pigs fly!".

22 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

This will probably do what you want. Just make a text file somewhere under GameData that ends in '.cfg', and paste this into it. This doesn't take into account some of the newest features in IFS, such as setting an automatic mass ratio, but it's easier this way when using other fuels that need separate mass ratios, like MonoPropellant.

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel],@RESOURCE[Oxidizer],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[B9PartSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch&!CryoTanks&!ModularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FOR[zInterstellarFuelSwitch]
{

%Monoprop = #$mass$
	@Monoprop *= 1880

MODULE
	{
		volumeMultiplier = 1
		massMultiplier = 1
	}
	!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
	!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
}
{
	!LF = 0
	!OX = 0
	!Monoprop = 0
	!totalCap = 0
}

I'm thinking about including a modified version of this script to the standard version of IFS which will become active with fuelSystems. Does anyone object?

Edited by FreeThinker

Is there some kind of a work around to solve the current texture problem in the latest version or is it a known issue? I noticed no one responded in a day and I'm still waiting to play KSP after 1.1.2 broke this mod for me.

19 minutes ago, Soviet03 said:

Is there some kind of a work around to solve the current texture problem in the latest version or is it a known issue? I noticed no one responded in a day and I'm still waiting to play KSP after 1.1.2 broke this mod for me.

Have you checked your ModuleManager version too? Currently it's on 2.6.24.

8 hours ago, NecroBones said:

{

%Monoprop = #$mass$
	@Monoprop *= 1880

MODULE
	{
		volumeMultiplier = 1
		massMultiplier = 1
	}
	!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
	!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
}
{
	!LF = 0
	!OX = 0
	!Monoprop = 0
	!totalCap = 0
}

Thank you so much! I really needed this back! :D

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I'm thinking about including a modified version of this script to the standard version of IFS which will become active with fuelSystems. Does anyone object?

Ihat would actually be pretty cool. Making fuel switching something you have to unlock would definitely be interesting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.