[1.8.1 - 1.12.5] Interstellar Fuel Switch (IFS) 3.29.5

FreeThinker

Hi there,

I've been using Interstellar Fuel Switch for quite some time and can switch tank contents in the editor, but I cannot switch tank contents in flight (tested with an empty tank "Rockomax X200-32", currently set up for LF/OX). I wonder why. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if that ever worked (on past versions) or not.

I'm on KSP v1.10.1 with these mods:

Spoiler

AT-Utils
B9PartSwitch
BreakingGround-DLC
CapCom
Chatterer
ClickThroughBlocker
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
CommunityTerrainTexturePack
ConfigurableContainers-Core
ContractConfigurator
ContractParser
ContractsWindowPlus
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
CryoTanks-Core
CustomBarnKit
DatedQuickSaves
DeployableEngines
DynamicBatteryStorage
EasyVesselSwitch
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR
FilterExtensions
FinalFrontier
FirespitterCore
GroundConstruction-Core
HeapPadder
HeatControl
IndicatorLights
InterstellarFuelSwitch
InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core
KAS
KerbalAlarmClock
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalEngineerRedux
KerbalJointReinforcementNext
KIS
Konstruction
KSP-AVC
KSPInterstellarExtended
KSPRescuePodFix
MagiCore
MakingHistory-DLC
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModularRocketSystem
ModuleManager
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureElectrical-Core
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSolar-Core
NearFutureSpacecraft
PatchManager
ProgressParser
RealTimeClock2
ReentryParticleEffect
Scatterer
Scatterer-config
Scatterer-sunflare
Science-Full-Reward
ScrapYard
SpaceTuxLibrary
SpaceY-Expanded
SpaceY-Lifters
StageRecovery
StationPartsExpansionRedux
Strategia
TexturesUnlimited
ToolbarController
Trajectories
TransferWindowPlanner
TriggerAu-Flags
TweakScale
UKS
UniversalStorage2
UnKerballedStart
USI-Core
USI-FTT
USI-LS
USITools
XenonISRU
xScienceContinued
ZeroMiniAVC

The mod list is an export from CKAN. Versions are such that 1.10.1 is officially supported whereever possible. Some mods officially are for 1.9.x max., very few are for 1.8.x or 1.7.x max., but those (1.8.x and 1.7.x) should not affect tank parts. And the game is, aside from the "usual" memory leak problem, quite stable.

I'm pretty advanced in the Community Tech Tree (available research items typically cost 1.000 science points or more), so I think the tech required should have been researched already, although I'm not so sure what exactly the requirements are. I do have Engineers on board, not sure if required.

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong? Anything known to be incompatible from the mod list? Or is there some obvious error on my part that I do not see? Is there a list of all conditions that need to be met?

Thanks in advance for any help.

12 hours ago, sfhq said:

Hi there,

I've been using Interstellar Fuel Switch for quite some time and can switch tank contents in the editor, but I cannot switch tank contents in flight (tested with an empty tank "Rockomax X200-32", currently set up for LF/OX). I wonder why. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if that ever worked (on past versions) or not.

Well the reason is this is disabled  for stock tank but it is enabled for specialized IFS Fuel tanks.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:52 AM, TheDog said:

Please forgive me, I am cross-posting this from @allista's configurable containers, see Posts #1 and #2:

I am experiencing an oddity with KSP 1.11 and mods that can switch tank contents, such as CC and IFS:

* if a tank content is switched to something other than its original contents, then the resources drained in VAB, vessel launched & immediately recovered, the recovery funds are off - part value for the recovered tank can even go negative in case of expensive resources such as from the community resource kit, but can be verified with stock resources such as MonoProp. Hence you pay for recovery instead of getting funds.

* so far havent seen this in pure stock, but definitely with part switcher such as CC, IFS and WildBlue mods

I'm having the same exact problem. MKS Kontainers and IFS tanks, when recovered, are worth substantially negative money, but only if you switch from the default resource to another resource. Somehow, tank switchers like B9, Firespitter, and IFS appear to mess up the game's price calculations of the tank/cargo container's value. This isn't very obvious with cheaper fuels, but for something like liquid helium-3, it can instantly drain your coffers of a million credits or more. My current workaround, if you can call it that, is to just use the money cheat equal to the amount that vanished into the ether.

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes it flow from low to high priority. Compable storage containers will have a default priority of 0

Bravo, I have been looking for something like this for years, but never thought of this kind of mechanism, always something along the lines of TAC fuel manager.

4 minutes ago, Tacombel said:

Bravo, I have been looking for something like this for years, but never thought of this kind of mechanism, always something along the lines of TAC fuel manager.

Yes I was inspired by TAC fuel manager, but its allows too much at no cost (time and power) so I needed to provide a more balanced solution.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 2/7/2021 at 12:55 PM, FreeThinker said:

Well the reason is this is disabled  for stock tank but it is enabled for specialized IFS Fuel tanks.

OK, that explains it. Is there an easy way to enable this for stock tanks or would that be a bad idea?

1 hour ago, sfhq said:

OK, that explains it. Is there an easy way to enable this for stock tanks or would that be a bad idea?

Yes, it is if you want to change it, simply open IntegrationLiquidFuelOxidizer.cfg and add "availableInFlight = true" to InterstellarFuelSwitch partmodule

Version 3.24 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1 - 1.11.1

Released on 2021-02-17

• Added Fuel Transfer for Nuclear Fuels
  • Added Protactinium-233 as a Radiactive configuration
  • Added FissionProduct as a Radiactive Fuel configuration
  • Added integrated Decay for Protactinium-233 which turns into a Uranium-233 over time
  • Added integrated Decay for LqdTritium which turns into LqdHe3 over time
  • Added cheats to allow switching configuration at any time
  • Removed duplicate CRP definitions

I installed the latest version and found that all of my existing crafts with tanks that I had switched to "LF only" had reverted back to "LFO". I replaced this mod with the previous version and they were right again.

Edited by catcha

That did it! Thanks for the quick turnaround. Not to just figure out which mod broke my asteroid drills..... :) 

I'm sorry if this is documented somewhere, I did some searching but couldn't turn it up: I love all of your parts and the ability to switch tanks. But, what is the best way to turn off all the additional resources and just use the stock ones?

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, fittedorphan68 said:

Sorry in advance if the answer is slapping me in the face while I ask the question, but is there a "generic" / "rule of thumb" when anticipating the conversion rate of kWh to EC and mJ to EC? 1 mJ seems to convert to 100 EC, or am I missing some fundamental understanding?

the standard is 1 MW is converted into 1000 KW = 1000 EC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IFS's Kerbalism patch ("Kerbalsim.cfg") has typos in the resource names in 13 processes' output fields, and in one process's input field, which causes errors to show up in the log when both IFS and Kerbalism are present. I assume it also prevents them from working properly, but I never found out because I fixed it locally with a custom MM patch before I started actually playing my current game.

Process Field Correct value
LqDeuterium Boiloff input [email protected]
Kerosene Heating output [email protected]
LqdKrypton Heating output [email protected]
LqdNeon Heating output [email protected]
NTO Heating output [email protected]
LqdMethane Heating output [email protected]
LqdNitrogen Heating output [email protected]
LqdNitrogen15 Heating output [email protected]
LqdOxygen Heating output [email protected]
LqdOxygen18 Heating output [email protected]
LqdTritium Heating output [email protected]
LqdWater Heating output [email protected]
LqdHeavyWater Heating output [email protected]
LqdXenon Heating output [email protected]
Edited by AmanitaVerna
minor edit

Just a heads up, not sure if you're who to talk to about it or if you know who to talk to in order to fix it, but this mod is set in CKAN to have a dependency for Community Tech Tree.  It doesn't actually depend on it, works fine without it, but if you want to use this mod without CTT then you need to install it manually.  Would be nice to not have to install CTT if you want to use CKAN since it's not actually required and installing a new tech tree for a mostly stock parts list is pretty unnecessary.

Edited by DeliriumTrigger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.