[1.8.1 - 1.12.5] Interstellar Fuel Switch (IFS) 3.29.5

FreeThinker

I think i found a little bug, peroxide process on isru converter it's capped at 5MW and no matter you increase with tweak scale you have the same amount of products..., when you scale at 5m it says 5MW/12MW and normal scale is 5MW/4.9mW and the production is the same, 2.3/s hydrazine.

Also, enable overflow are disabling themselves after few hours.

Sorry, i posted here instead of Interstellar Extended...

Edited by Acvila

Hello, is it possible to add multiple switchable resources to a tank with this ?

Say i want a tank for LFO/MonoProp/Xenon but i want to be able to have LFO and Monoprop both in the tank at once and switch twice between LFO/MonoProp/Xenon

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

Hello, is it possible to add multiple switchable resources to a tank with this ?

Say i want a tank for LFO/MonoProp/Xenon but i want to be able to have LFO and Monoprop both in the tank at once and switch twice between LFO/MonoProp/Xenon

try this

22 hours ago, FreeThinker said:
  • Added Super Capacitator which can convert automatically between ElectricCharge and MegaJoules

Been trying to make use of cryo engines/tanks in a real solar system. Having some issues containing boil off.

Just saw you mention ElectricCharge different form MegaJoules. Is "kW" need on some the same game code mechanism as "electrical charge"? In real life W is watts, electrical energy, but in game code you can call units Bananas and Apples. I'm wondering if I've been adding apples when I need Bananas.

Edited by brygun

29 minutes ago, brygun said:

Been trying to make use of cryo engines/tanks in a real solar system. Having some issues containing boil off.

Well for next KSPI-E release I made a solution which should finally solve the high timewarp electric charge underrun.

29 minutes ago, brygun said:

Just saw you mention ElectricCharge different form MegaJoules. Is "kW" need on some the same game code mechanism as "electrical charge"? In real life W is watts, electrical energy, but in game code you can call units Bananas and Apples. I'm wondering if I've been adding apples when I need Bananas.

KSPI as many other mods use the standard of ElectricCharge = 1 KilowWatt = 1/1000 MegaHoule  Stock electric charge  ElectricCharge, have 2 big advantage, lossless storage and instant discharge. THe disadvantage is low energy storage/ mass and decrease or abominable performance under high timewarp.

Edited by FreeThinker

* New to manual modding *

I'm thinking about installing IFS but am slightly confused how it relates to or compliments other similar fuel/texture switching mods. Is there a good article or TL;DR that compares IFS, Config Cont, and Firespitter? I have the latter two installed as decencies to other mods already. Does IFS offer additional aspects the game that aren't covered in CC or Firespitter? How compatible are the three together?

Thanks for the explanation.

I've been trying some different fuel tanks. This is probably a cross mod issue. See some odd behaviour with the "IFS Cryotank (CT 2501)" in the VAB. I'm assuming that is for this thread. If not by all means redirect me.

Repeatability as follows:

Probe on top staged from a CT2504 (larger one and seems okay) for liquid hydrogen and add oxidizer in rockomax tanks

Place radial decoplers

Place smaller CT2501 and set for 15,000 lqd hydrogen and give it some oxidizer in tanks attached to the bottom. So far so good.

Needed to shift the position of these extra side tanks.

Now if I pick up the ct2501 away from the radial decoupler and put it back on I see this: The mirror image tank has two entries of 15,000 lqd hydrogen. Now since the oxidizer is only balanced for the first 15,000 the dV of the whole ship (reported by KER) goes down. It was trying to figure out the dV drop that led me to it.

Sometimes when I right click the mirror image tank I get a scroll of a dozen "liquid amonia" messages.

I believe related mods are the "Cryogenic Tanks" and "Interstellar Fuel Switch"

Edited by brygun

I've noticed a strange behaviour of the IFS Cryogenic Tanks, in brief, the conversion of liquid to gas can be significantly over or under unity in terms of resulting mass of gas

• Lqd Nitrogen converts into about 5x the mass of Nitrogen
  • In contrast, Lqd Xenon converts into only about 1/10th the mass of Xenon
  • But Lqd Hydrogen and most other liquids I tested convert correctly, including Argon, Ammonia, CO and CO2
  • I did not find other inconsistent conversions, but I did not test everything.

I did the test in an install with only IFS to make sure no other mod was interfering.

Hello @FreeThinker
I'm interested in possibility to fill regular LF tanks with Liquid Carbon Dioxide. IFS already has that patch for stock LF/LFO tanks, and I can use some cryogenic fuels (Hydrogen or Nitrogen). Nitrogen is my favourite for SSTOs coz I can refuel in atmospheres of Kerbin, Eve and Laythe with a scoop. Duna has CO2 atmo, which I can scoop and use as a propellant as well. But I can't store it with Mk3 or OPT Spaceplane tanks, which is quite disappointing =(

Also it would be nice, to get OPT Spaceplane parts supported by IFS. Currently I'm using one patch from ABZB KSPIE Integration mod (mentioned in OP), It applies IFS module to OPT Spaceplane parts, same as it applies with IFS Integration configs for stock LF/LFO tanks. OPT Spaceplane parts has no tanks by default, and forces to use Firespitter to fill them with propellant. Since I'm not using Firespitter, it's the only workaround I've found.

Edited by Cosmonauth

I don't use Interstellar Extended mod, but I use this since it is a prerequisite of the MK2 and Mk3 Expansion mods.  I see all the different fuel types on the IFS tanks even though I have nothing that would use those resources.  Is something wrong with my install, or is this intentional?

On 23.03.2017 at 0:09 AM, FreeThinker said:

Added LqdCO2 to Generic IFS script

First of all, thank you for that, despite the fact I've found Duna almost unflyable for my SSTO, I can still find some use for that option =)

One more request: can you please add Hydrazine to that script?
I'm kinda confused here, I can see Hydrazine is already there, but for some reason it can't be selected with the switcher in career mode. So I wonder, is there any research node I need to get, which would be quite weird, since Monoprop is already available. In sandbox mode it works like a charm.

It looks like a bug.

Edited by Cosmonauth
update

On 27.03.2017 at 2:31 AM, eberkain said:

I don't use Interstellar Extended mod, but I use this since it is a prerequisite of the MK2 and Mk3 Expansion mods.  I see all the different fuel types on the IFS tanks even though I have nothing that would use those resources.  Is something wrong with my install, or is this intentional?

This is intentional.

I guess, you have Community Resource Pack installed. Try to delete it and see what happens. Be sure you did backup of your savegames.

3 hours ago, Cosmonauth said:

This is intentional.

I guess, you have Community Resource Pack installed. Try to delete it and see what happens. Be sure you did backup of your savegames.

CRP is a dependency of many of my mods, I can't really remove it.  Is it possible to make a MM config that would remove the unused resources from the switch.  If you could show me one working example I can fix it up for myself. 

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

CRP is a dependency of many of my mods, I can't really remove it.  Is it possible to make a MM config that would remove the unused resources from the switch.  If you could show me one working example I can fix it up for myself. 

Sorry man, I wish to be helpful but I'm not programmer. One thing I can suggest is about Generic IFS Script, you can edit it yourself the way you want since it's just MM configs, which define content for stock tanks. You can find these configs at /GameData/InterstellarFuelSwitch/patches. If you don't like functionality of IFS tanks, maybe you should use IFS core plugin instead of IFS mod, to satisfy dependencies from other mods

@FreeThinker FYN, I think I've found a bug, which I described by editing one of my previous posts.

5 hours ago, Cosmonauth said:

First of all, thank you for that, despite the fact I've found Duna almost unflyable for my SSTO, I can still find some use for that option =)

One more request: can you please add Hydrazine to that script?
I'm kinda confused here, I can see Hydrazine is already there, but for some reason it can't be selected with the switcher in career mode. So I wonder, is there any research node I need to get, which would be quite weird, since Monoprop is already available. In sandbox mode it works like a charm.

It looks like a bug.

Well I always considered Monoprop not to be hydrazine, but more like O2H2, hydrazine in my view is more of an advanced propellant, especially because of it extremely high toxicity

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Well I always considered Monoprop not to be hydrazine, but more like O2H2, hydrazine in my view is more of an advanced propellant, especially because of it extremely high toxicity

I think I can live with that xD It's dense and heavy, but very efficient for thermal propulsion.
Would you please clarify, which node I need to research to make it available?

2 minutes ago, Cosmonauth said:

I think I can live with that xD It's dense and heavy, but very efficient for thermal propulsion.
Would you please clarify, which node I need to research to make it available?

Specialized FuelStorage, because of the toxicity.

Edited by FreeThinker

6 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Specialized FuelStorage, because of the toxicity.

Well, in that case it's really weird, coz I have that node, and Hydrazine is displayed in the VAB popup, but still it can't be selected =/

screenshot36_cr.png
screenshot37.png

Can be solid fuel and ore (stock resources) added to cargo container?

Also liquid fuel/oxidizer/monopropellant could be added to cryonic tank (that tank could be named as well as liquid container)

Edit:

Mopedantte, minerals and hydrates mode could be added to IFS Cargo Container.

HTP, hydrates and kerosene (if they need to be stored in cold place) could be stored in cryogenic tank.

So to sort it:

add liquid fuel, oxidizer, monopropellant, HTP, Hydrates and Kerosene modes to cryogenic tanks.

add solid fuel, ore, mona zite and minerals modes to cargo containers.

Edited by raxo2222

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.