[1.8.1 - 1.12.5] Interstellar Fuel Switch (IFS) 3.29.5

FreeThinker

2 hours ago, PortableGoogle said:

Just an FYI, you can set steam to only update the game when you run it, you will see it say "Update required" next to the game and be in blue. Normally you can't play a game on steam until it is updated, but ksp does not use steam's annoying drm so you can actually launch the game from the exe or the launcher directly. I have so many mods I do this simply so the steam overlay is not running and steam itself is not running freeing up more cpu for ksp :)
I was actually about to update to 1.1.1 for the bug fixes but I think I'm gonna wait to see if that caused your problem lol.

I normally have it set to only update when I play (and play without steam on), but I needed a fresh install for troubleshooting, and steam offers no new installations of old patches as far as I'm aware. :) 

@NecroBones I'll have a go and report back!

Edit: Everything's back to normal with the new FTP update. Thanks for all the help. :D 

Edited by algeo

Version 1.25 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.1

Released on 2016-04-29

• compiled agains KSP 1.1.1
  • Added new Feature: new property baseResourceMassDivider which allows easy configuration of DryMass/Wet Mass ratio. Drymass = basePartMass + tankMass + ((resource.MaxAmount * resource.density) / baseResourceMassDivider )

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.26 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.1

Released on 2016-04-30

• Added new field visible in VAB : Mass Ratio which will display the effective DryMass to WetMass ratio.
  • Updated CRP to 0.5.1

Hi there.  I edited my post on the FTP thread after you'd already Liked it when I saw your signature and realized that I was already talking to the purveyor of IFS.  (Also, KSPIE is an awesome mod too.)

Anyway, I see this update here to v1.1.1... aaaaaand literally eight minutes before I began typing this, v1.1.2 pushed through steam.

I see no CKAN listing of any kind for IFS, irrespective of KSP version.  I do see KSPIE however, still tagged for v1.1.0.

UG7kHh0.png

Is this a CKAN issue that IFS is not listed in any way?  Am I doing something wrong in looking for it?

12 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

Is this a CKAN issue that IFS is not listed in any way?

I think this is possibly a very recent CKAN issue.

Opening CKAN today for my 1.1.1 install and filtering for installed mods, I see a good number on them claiming to be for 'Max KSP version' lower than 1.1.0, which would've made it impossible to install (I did this install entirely through the CKAN GUI). So somehow the CKAN master file is misreporting things at the moment.

IFS is listed in mine, btw, but with latest version 1.25 and Max KSP version 1.0.2. Which has to be wrong, CKAN wouldn't even have allowed install through the GUI if that was the case.

Edited by swjr-swis

@FreeThinker can the new drymass thing be responsible for phantom forces. I've been plagued by them since 1.1.2, which was around the same time as you introduced some enhanced functionality about drymass ratio or something.

I just tested, and as soon as my tank is empty, the craft start accelerating, which did not happen before. Are you maybe overriding the mass of the part even when I have no value for mass in the switch? If this is simply "functionality change", could you please advise of what parameters I need to set... Thanks.

@PART[fuelTank]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
	MODULE
	{
		name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
		resourceGui = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;LqdHydrogen;LqdHydrogen,Oxidizer
		resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;LqdHydrogen;LqdHydrogen,Oxidizer
		resourceAmounts = 180,220;400;400;2200,220
		//basePartMass = 2
		displayCurrentTankCost = false
		hasGUI = true
		availableInFlight = false
		availableInEditor = true
		showInfo = true
	}
}

Well perhaps. In the past (before 1.1.2 update) basePartMass had a default value of 0.25. Now if you don't set this value, but you also not specify tankMass nor baseResourceMassDivider, the effective part mass would become 0 which could result in all kinds of weird phantom effects.

For next version, I will add a fix that will make the bassPartMass equal to the catalog part mass, if all mass modifiers are 0

Edited by FreeThinker

16 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well perhaps. In the past (before 1.1.2 update) basePartMass had a default value of 0.25. Now if you don't set this value, but you also not specify tankMass nor baseResourceMassDivider, the effective part mass would become 0 which could result in all kinds of weird phantom effects.

Ok, I always assumed the if I did nothing, then basePartMass would be the mass set in the original part.... Which would be nice :)

Drymass = basePartMass + tankMass + ((resource.MaxAmount * resource.density) / baseResourceMassDivider )

So, just for my understanding of what each element is.

Drymass: is the final mass when the tanks are empty
basePartMass: is the part of the drymass which is independent of the tank and resource
tankMass: Is the mass of the Drymass which depends on the type of tank needed for a specific resource
baseResourceMassDivider: Is some sort of mass calculation, where the dry mass is dependent on the mass of the resources in the tank, given by a specific ratio

I guess that you only calculate "Drymass = basePartMass + tankMass" when "baseResourceMassDivider = 0" right?

So easiest way to fix this at my end would be to find some good "baseResourceMassDivider" and put in all my switchings?

16 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

For next version, I will add a fix that will make the bassPartMass equal to the catalog part mass, if all mass modifiers are 0

Just seen this now :cool: Great!

@Warezcrawler correct

My mistake was to assume the user always configures mass behavior. In next version I will add the following line of code

if (basePartMass == 0 && String.IsNullOrEmpty(tankMass) && baseResourceMassDivider == 0)
                    basePartMass = part.prefabMass;

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm switching my "custom" MM patch to use IFS instead of FSFuelSwitch. Forgive me if this should be obvious but I couldn't find any sort of readme file; what exactly are these three values and in what way (if any) can I scale them against existing parameters on the part I'm adding IFS to?

massExponent = 3
volumeExponent = 3
resourcesFormat = 0.0000

They're not present or not necessary using FSFuelSwitch so they're new to me... but I'm certainly no modding guru :wink:

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎30 at 7:51 AM, swjr-swis said:

I think this is possibly a very recent CKAN issue.

Opening CKAN today for my 1.1.1 install and filtering for installed mods, I see a good number on them claiming to be for 'Max KSP version' lower than 1.1.0, which would've made it impossible to install (I did this install entirely through the CKAN GUI). So somehow the CKAN master file is misreporting things at the moment.

IFS is listed in mine, btw, but with latest version 1.25 and Max KSP version 1.0.2. Which has to be wrong, CKAN wouldn't even have allowed install through the GUI if that was the case.

Be advised that others, including @NecroBones, reports the same issue I'm reporting, but with your symptom instead of mine.  If the mod is installed on your system, CKAN will recognize it and list it.  If, however, you were to remove the mod from your system, it'll disappear due to being somehow "de-listed," and you'd be unable to reinstall it.  (Due to this, I suggest you backup your GameData to preserve the install prior to testing this to verify my statement.)

I assure you, there is a problem with this despite the fact that you can "see" it within your CKAN.

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.28 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.2

Released on 2016-05-01

• Fixed potential problem with phantom forces when IFS mass is not configured explicitly

Sir, please see above.  No reply on the CKAN-thread, but is there something you can do on your end with the mod-version updates to cause it to repopulate on the CKAN index?  I ask because you happen to be pushing fixes and updates rather frequently nowabouts, maybe there's something you can do that's specific to that circumstance that can help in addressing the other problem.

3 hours ago, Gorby1 said:

I'm switching my "custom" MM patch to use IFS instead of FSFuelSwitch. Forgive me if this should be obvious but I couldn't find any sort of readme file; what exactly are these three values and in what way (if any) can I scale them against existing parameters on the part I'm adding IFS to?

massExponent = 3
volumeExponent = 3
resourcesFormat = 0.0000

They're not present or not necessary using FSFuelSwitch so they're new to me... but I'm certainly no modding guru :wink:

massExponent and volumeExponent are used when resizing a resource tank. By default this is exponent 3, but this can be changed to any value higher than 0. Most of the time you want to leave it at 3

resourcesFormat is used to format the output of the amount of remaining resource. Specifically it allows you to specify the number of decimals. It is merely a cosmetic function

16 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

@NecroBones

Sir, please see above.  No reply on the CKAN-thread, but is there something you can do on your end with the mod-version updates to cause it to repopulate on the CKAN index?  I ask because you happen to be pushing fixes and updates rather frequently nowabouts, maybe there's something you can do that's specific to that circumstance that can help in addressing the other problem.

Sorry, I'm at a loss what to do about it

Edited by FreeThinker

49 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

I opened an issue on the Netkan github about IFS being missing in the CKAN listings. The Netkan metadata looks OK, so someone on their side will need to investigate.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues/3851

Taking another look, it looks like the "core" version of the Netkan is of course only grabbing the DLL from the mod, but it lists "CommunityResourcePack" as a dependency. Is that actually needed for just the DLL to work? If the dependency check for that is failing, that might explain why it's no longer indexed.

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

Taking another look, it looks like the "core" version of the Netkan is of course only grabbing the DLL from the mod, but it lists "CommunityResourcePack" as a dependency. Is that actually needed for just the DLL to work? If the dependency check for that is failing, that might explain why it's no longer indexed.

You are correct. For the core version, there should not be any dependencies

@FreeThinker I posted this in the FuelTanks+ Forum and was asked to reach out to you. This is a cut and paste of that post.

Here's a fun little trick

Step 1) Take the MK1-2 Command Pod (Or any pod. I just happened to pick this one)

Step 2) Attach the Kerbodyne S3-10800-FTP tank or the S3-1800-FTP or the S3-21600-FTP and tweakscale the size down to 2.5m.

Step 3) Now remove all but leave the least amount of fuel and oxidizer in the tank. (This step is important) 

Step 4) ???

Step 5) Watch the craft slowly float upwards. I saw this bug/feature lift my 38 ton MAV off the launchpad. 

Now this wouldn't be such a huge problem except that when the part floats up about 10 meters it then stays there and can't go any higher. Firing engines with a TWR of 2.00 doesn't move the craft an inch. It is stuck at the height and can't go any higher.

That's a tweakscall problem not FuelTanks+

I tested this using the stock 3.75 m S3-3600 tank and did not have the same result. (Re-sized and removed fuel)  Also, if I take a smaller FTP tank and size it UP this doesn't happen. Likewise, if I use a 2.5 meter tank this does not happen. Only when I downsize the 3.75m tank and remove most of the fuel.

OK. Then that's a Interstellaer Fuel Switch issue

That might be the case. Though, Since I can only recreate the issue using a FTP tank (and only a certain sized tank) I figured i would mention it here. I did read how IFS put out a patch that was designed to fix some phantom force issue. Maybe that's what this is. Either way, I hope this helps.

P.S. All mods have been update to their 1.1.2 version

Tweakscale 2.2.9

Interstellar Fuel Switch 1.28

Fuel Tanks Plus 1.8.3

After a bit of testing with Kerbal Engineer it seem that the craft has a constant vertical acceleration of 192 mm/s. And the craft will actually not level off but continue upwards very slowly. The previous point stands though that even if I fire my engines the craft will not move any faster

** A bit more testing - If while in flight drifting upwards at a breakneck speed of 192 mm/s I transfer fuel from another tank into the affected tank, the phantom force will disappear and the craft will plummet back down to Kerbin. If I then remove the fuel, the effect return to take me to the heavens. Painfully slowly.

*** Moar testing - If I add fuel to the affected tank to remove the phantom force, I can then fire my engines as normal and the rocket lifts up. Great! If I then remove the fuel and shut off my engines my craft will continue flying upwards at the current speed the craft was traveling at. (In this case it was 35 m/s) 

For reference the dry mass of the tank is .33333 -This is when the force exists.

If I add fuel to the tank (I don't need to add oxidizer. It just needs more mass), once the mass goes above .8t the phantom force disappears.

Edited by gonzo98x

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.