Stuck fairings break orbit in map mode and prevent timewarp

I've found that a separated fairing that ends up getting stuck in another part on the craft causes a few odd issues.

I have a craft with an interstage fairing and the fairing very slightly clips into the heat shield casing and when jettisoning the fairing part of it can become stuck. The reason it gets stuck is because I've offset the decoupler slightly inside the heat shield case, for aesthetic reasons. This offset is what causes the fairing to get stuck, but it's the consequence of the stuck fairing that I'm reporting about (as I'm sure there are other ways to get a fairing stuck).

If a jettisoned fairing panel becomes stuck or remains in contact with a craft then:

- You can't time warp and the message that appears says "Cannot warp faster than 1x while moving over terrain"

- The orbit in map mode goes haywire; no orbital path can be seen, but the Ap and Pe nodes are still present but are not in the right places (although the values they report are correct I think).

I guess the detached fairing panel in contact with the craft makes the craft "think" that it is in contact with the ground.

I've created a simpler craft that has the required design to make this issue happen. This is it in the VAB, I've highlighted the small upper fairing panel which that part that clips into the heat shield casing (the fairing is expanded so it's outside the casing in the picture, when not expanded it is inside the casing).

OWZquG8h.jpg?1

The separation is messy as the panels collide with the casing. It always seems that all sections but 1 end up clear of the craft, just 1 faring panel always remains stuck

PJ6mtsyl.jpg

In these two pics you can see the fairing panel stuck, clipped partly into the heat-shield casing and in the second picture is the message about not being able to warp while moving over terrain.

jwR0OvRh.jpgZaktpQyh.jpg

This is what happens in map mode; There is no blue orbital path and note the Ap marker quite some distance away from the actual orbit. Sometimes both markers are visible and sometimes they are static, in this test run just the Ap marker could be seen and it was flickering about all over the place.

WcX4X4ah.jpg

I can still use physical time warp and if I go into 4x physical warp and roll the ship fast that will dislodge the stuck fairing panel (here it is just as it became dislodged)

7y2kuuKl.jpg

Once dislodged the orbit in map mode returns to normal and I'm able to time warp again.

v5fINpmm.jpgvEOrCPCm.jpg

Here is a craft that will cause this issue to happen. http://kerbalx.com/katateochi/FairingBugDemo

Take it into orbit and jettison the fairings. Most times 1 panel will remain stuck in the heat-shield casing and the issue can then be seen.

Edited by katateochi

I experienced a similar bug last night.

Launched a rocket from Kerbin. I set up a maneuver to circularise the orbit. Before I started the maneuver, I released a fairing. But a bit of it was stuck on the rocket. I then pressed M to go to the map view and found that the brown maneuver path that was previously circularised around Kerbin was now located about halfway between Kerbin and the Mun. Strange!

• 4 weeks later...

When I opened my fairing on ~60000m, a piece of it got stuck. The problems continued above 70000m:

* Tremendous camera shaking

* No visible orbit in map mode

* Warnings about travelling on ground

I could not shake the fairing piece, but when I ditched the stage it was in, the problems disappeared.

Thanks! Yes, I had some minor clipping too. I actually like that things can get stuck or brake, it adds humour and realism.

I didn't like that the game thought I was on the ground as I was about to circularize my orbit! :D

This is an issue that's been around for quite a while. I've seen it crop up with various pieces of debris... most commonly before fairings were around, it was decouplers. There was (and probably still is, but I can't recall) a way to build a decoupler to detach while still remaining in contact with the craft as it is launched, which causes the same effect. I suspect it's something to do with the craft being under thrust while it's in contact with another part...

I remember seeing this as far back as 0.18 or so, and it's probably been around since before that, too.

So I've noticed that during some ascents from Kerbin, my blue orbit track disappears. It has happened enough times that I have tracked it down to occurring when I deploy a fairing in the atmosphere or very LKO maybe. I've also figured out that while my ship icon still appears to be in space, it gains the word "landed." It may or may not have something to do with fairings and clipping, not sure. I'll post some screen shots and add more details later. Too tired now. Anyone else having this problem?

Windows 8.1 Steam. Alienware. No mods.

See here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123012-Fairing-separation-problem

It's being noticed by more than a few people. It's been around for a while, but I've not heard much about a fix yet. It might be worth seeing if there's a report on the Bug Tracker about it already; if not, it'd be a good idea to try to gather as much data as possible and put one together.

In any case, it's probably best we try to keep things to one thread for this, just because having everything in one place makes things a little easier to piece together. :)

See here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123012-Fairing-separation-problem

It's being noticed by more than a few people. It's been around for a while, but I've not heard much about a fix yet. It might be worth seeing if there's a report on the Bug Tracker about it already; if not, it'd be a good idea to try to gather as much data as possible and put one together.

In any case, it's probably best we try to keep things to one thread for this, just because having everything in one place makes things a little easier to piece together. :)

Vexx, could you merge all these threads about it together?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118019-Stuck-fairings-break-orbit-in-map-mode-and-prevent-timewarp

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123012-Fairing-separation-problem

Claw said he'll have a look at it, but recons it will be tricky to solve.

Sure thing, just a moment...

EDIT: All merged together. My own personal wild guess is that the "grounded" flag is for some reason set to true when both under thrust and touching another separate craft or discarded part.

Edited by vexx32

• 2 weeks later...

This evening I had this problem with the stuck fairing parts making my ship think it was landed. In my case, I believe the fairing parts got stuck because the fairing was clipping through struts. Because the probe inside the fairing was the same diameter as the fuel tank below the fairing, the only way to run struts up onto the probe itself (to keep it from wobbling) was to attach the struts to the slope of the 2.5m adaptor below all that. Thus, the base parts of the fairing ciipped these struts, and it was those parts that stuck to the rocket.

17292777644_8266d3cab8_z.jpg

The fairing parts remained stuck even when the ship was under forward thrust. However, I followed a tip from the gameplay questions forum on this subject, and spun the ship in roll using the E key. This slung the fairing parts away quite nicely. In fact, they took off with such speed I think their decoupler force finally kicked in. And once the fairing bits were gone, ship control was back to normal.

Because the probe inside the fairing was the same diameter as the fuel tank below the fairing, the only way to run struts up onto the probe itself (to keep it from wobbling) was to attach the struts to the slope of the 2.5m adaptor below all that. Thus, the base parts of the fairing ciipped these struts, and it was those parts that stuck to the rocket.

Sometimes I attach a radial decoupler just so there is something sticking out a bit that a strut can grab on to without clipping anything in between.

I did release a fix for this a couple days ago. You can find it in the usual place. I've added it to the ModuleProceduralFairingFix.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-0-25-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules

It's not perfect, since there might be some edge cases with strange combinations of EVA and fairing jettison, but should work pretty well for regular rocket flying.

Cheers,

-Claw

I did release a fix for this a couple days ago. You can find it in the usual place. I've added it to the ModuleProceduralFairingFix.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-0-25-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules

It's not perfect, since there might be some edge cases with strange combinations of EVA and fairing jettison, but should work pretty well for regular rocket flying.

Cheers,

-Claw

Thanks Claw!! You're Awesome!

(btw, will Squad incorporate your fixes in a future release or will they apply their own fixes?)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.