Things to do while waiting for your rocket to patachute down to Kerbin

Venusgate

Now that parachuting hella early is almost mandatory in career mode prior to getting heat shields, and while the new chute drag numbers make it so you might be doing 200 m/s@ 20km up, I've noticed a spike in descent wait time where I can do nothing, except wait....

OR CAN'T I?!

Things I've been doing in the new meantime:

-Doing the dishes

-Sewing a button back onto my jeans that have been resting on the back of the chair for a few weeks.

-Brushing the dog

-Writing a letter to family members

-Taking out the trash

Anyone else find the new heat/aero/chute model conducive to productivity?

I have been deploying chutes around 6-8k around 400m/s and then i just warp to the about 100m above ground so not too much to wait for. Heat shield is not even really neccessary unless you are coming in at 3000/ms, just from orbit and you should be fine with just the pod. Just my two cents :)

You get the first heat shield very quick. It is probably quicker to just do one mission first for science before shooting into high orbit. Otherwise, a long wait is the penalty people get to pay for cheesing parachutes. As for me, I ride it out to 1-2km high where I'm going maybe 220 m/s before opening the parachutes. Then I'll crank up warp to x4 for the rest of the trip. I try to drop warp right before impact, but even when I fail that, I haven't had any warp krakens hit in 1.0.

For long burns and cruising to 70km, I just alt-tab to reddit... or whip out a phone or tablet if I want to keep a glancing watch.

Anyone know if there is a way to bypass the x4 warp limit? I feel like the physics are stable enough in most situations to push it higher.

I usually have some other game runing in an other window.

Usually Minecraft,a game where AFKing is very productive.

Having multiple games running at the same time makes many games more playable, especially some turn based strategy games. (where computer turns can take more time than human players would be likely to take...)

^^this^^ I wait until I'm under 250 m/s to deploy

Yes, but you just arbitrarily making the game harder since you can open your chute at 30,000 meters going 2km/s and just dift down without having to worry about heat at all, ie, the broken reentry system.

What do I while waiting? I com the forum and complain about the broken re-entry system.

If you aim your Periapsis at 18-22k and burn in nearly horizontal for a while, you'll kill off most of your speed without having to pop a high chute on a pod and without self-destructing. It takes a bit, but it's not too bad.

30-32k periapsis seems to be the sweet spot for me, at least for coming back from Kerbin orbit. Nice and stable, gives me plenty of time to deploy the chutes once I've gone sub-sonic. Still figuring out exactly how far east of KSC I need to put my periapsis for a precision landing but I'm getting there.

Still tuning my Munar returns - at the moment they tend to be too cautious and I end up doing one aerobraking pass and coming round again.

What wait? You mean you folks don't come screaming into the atmosphere in a supersonic spacecraft covered in heatshields and then pop all parachutes within 100 m of the ground? Seriously, it's the only way to fly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.