Media feedback, reviews on KSP 1.0

LordFjord

You're confusing opinions with arguments.

An opinion is "I think Y"

An argument is "X is true therefore Y"

I've been a gamer for literally decades now. I think I have enough experience to spot quality and the lack of it by now and I for sure know how to construct a valid and sound argument. It's a gift.

That's a fine definition of an argument, but sadly, it does not apply to a single post of yours in this thread. Virtually every one has included thinly veiled insults calling those who disagree with your opinion "trolls" or "childish".

You've mastered "Arguing on the Internet", and since you have such skill at it, I can imagine you know the meme.

Virtually every one has included thinly veiled insults calling those who disagree with your opinion "trolls" or "childish".

I don't want this thread to get locked, and people clearly are being really silly here.

I do insist and don`t take instructions from people who hurl sophistic oneliners at me. I made many points. You picked one and tried to dismiss it with some cheap rhetoric. You don`t seem a likely partner for an adult conversation therefore.

K :/

You called it cherry picking. I gave you more examples to mitigate that. It's time to move on with some grace. I don't think I'll respond to another point here unless it's pertinent. Too many people seem to be getting emotional.

Keep on trucking.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I haven't trusted professional game reviews since the 90s and haven't read one - except to see how bad it is - since Lets Plays on YouTube became a big thing.
Yep, Let's Plays are far better than "gaming journalism". To think we had to rely on PC Gamer back in the day...

Pretty much. I haven't trusted professional game reviews since the 90s and haven't read one - except to see how bad it is - since Lets Plays on YouTube became a big thing. If I want to see if I'd like a game I try the demo and/or watch a few people playing. I can usually tell pretty quick if I want to buy the game.

It's not the reviewers' fault, any more than it's a boulder's fault for rolling down a hill and over your car. If they took days, weeks, or months to review every game, by the time their review came out nobody would care and they'd have died of starvation anyway for having not made any money over that time. The system itself is broken.

I wouldn't say the system is broken, it's more that the system hasn't matured. Gaming media is still pretty much an enthusiast press - I don't know if any of them, even IGN, are big enough to have their editorial staff be completely separate from their writing staff.

Not to mention that watching a video of a game (or better yet playing a demo) gives you a much better feel for the game. All reviews are necessarily biased, there's no escaping that. An amazing game to one person will be terrible to another, and the best reviews will acknowledge this.

My bias is towards technical excellence and execution so I don't agree with the reviews overlooking these things, but I do understand that KSP is an amazing concept and the game is still fun in spite of its flaws. Modding support also covers a multitude of sins (see every elder scrolls game ever made) and really is what makes this game playable for me.

Not to mention that watching a video of a game (or better yet playing a demo) gives you a much better feel for the game. All reviews are necessarily biased, there's no escaping that. An amazing game to one person will be terrible to another, and the best reviews will acknowledge this.

My bias is towards technical excellence and execution so I don't agree with the reviews overlooking these things, but I do understand that KSP is an amazing concept and the game is still fun in spite of its flaws. Modding support also covers a multitude of sins (see every elder scrolls game ever made) and really is what makes this game playable for me.

It's for these reasons I gave KSP mid 80s in my non-professional (and admittedly Fanboi) review.

Destructoid too, 8.5 http://www.destructoid.com/review-kerbal-space-program-291550.phtml

I agree with the scores.... that's not to say that their are not things that could be improved, nothing is perfect. But ultimately Squad has done an outstanding job.

I would myself rate it around 8 out of 10. Based upon a rating scale of 1 game is utter crap, 5 game is meh, 10 game ushered in a golden age of gaming.

I don't think breaking the score down into various components is entirely useful for me, as my assessment is really only going to be on my enjoyment of the game.... and depending on how much fun I'm having, some of the typical components that people rate may not carry much weight. Also I can put up with a lot of faults if I'm having fun. And I have enjoyed the .... of KSP.

But ultimately, these things are entirely subjective. It is entirely valid to use whatever rating system you feel expresses how you feel about the game.

One way of another, thanks Squad!!

Don't you guys love how playing games apparently makes you an expert game designer able to judge the failures of developers who managed to bring out very succesful games?

I have enough respect for people to trust that they might be able to validly critique a game / movie / sport without being a professional developer / director / athlete.

Don't you guys love how playing games apparently makes you an expert game designer able to judge the failures of developers who managed to bring out very succesful games?

How succesful a game is doesn't really depend on how good it is...

Unless you can honestly say that certain very popular mobile games are good.

How succesful a game is doesn't really depend on how good it is...

Unless you can honestly say that certain very popular mobile games are good.

The same thing could be said for both movies and music as well.

Nice to see some reviews from people new to the game, I think the destructoid one covers everything pretty well. The IGN one seems to focus too much on "Trial and error is fun" which I hope the devs don't take to heart too much, as it might be justification for them to not include certain aspects of play that seasoned players can't play without (*cough* dV figures *cough*).

Well done Squad!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.