How do I make a Fuel only Fuel tank for LV-N

Is there a way to make a fuel only tank for LV-N's?

Or do you need to use a bigger normal tank (to get the same fuel tonnage) and set the O2 to zero and just put up with the much greater structural weight of a bigger tank that only has fuel. :huh:

But there's a weight penalty there - even though you've drained the liquid fuel, you're still carrying around the weight of the now-empty tank.

Marginally, like less than half a ton for the tallest 1.25m. Guess it's up to the player on if they wan't to divert their science, take a hit on the weight, or d/l and use procedural parts mod.

Yes, but you still have a bad full to empty weight ratio then.....

It's actually not that bad. The vast majority of the mass of the fuel tanks is in the fuel. The empty weight isn't too much of a big deal. In the stock game there's no better solution than just draining or using the really low density spaceplane tanks.

It's actually not that bad. The vast majority of the mass of the fuel tanks is in the fuel. The empty weight isn't too much of a big deal. In the stock game there's no better solution than just draining or using the really low density spaceplane tanks.

This and there is one more way, but im not sure how much of a cheat youd classify this as:

You can edit the fuel fuel capacity in the .craft file. Personally i do not consider swapping OX to LF a cheat, and ive actually done this to my 0.90 capital ships, as im too lazy to rebuild outdated designs from scratch.

That said, if you arent happy modyfying files, there is just no way to do it, either use the spaceplane tanks, drain oxy and have twice as many tanks, or if you dont like either of those, wait for an update (assuming we ever get it) that lets us pick what fuel and how much goes into a tank (with a hard limit being its capacity).

Marginally, like less than half a ton for the tallest 1.25m

That's on the order of a full ton just for the outrigger engines on my standard tug - about 3% of it's max standard payload. That's not a marginal hit at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.