Thermometer - v1.0.11

rreeggkk

A simple plugin for Kerbal Space Program that will automatically add a part's temperature to its right click menu.

Features:

- Adds the Temperature of parts to the parts right click menu as well as their maximum temperature.

- Tries to change the stock temperature gauge threshold

- Highlight parts that are over a user specified percentage of their max temperature

- Option to switch between Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin

Kerbal Stuff (Download)

Github (Source)

License:

This plugin is licensed under the MIT license. View the full license here.

Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 1.1.0:

Updated for KSP 1.0.5

Version 1.0.11:

Added Skin temperature and max skin temperature to right click menu

Version 1.0.10:

Removed the degrees symbol from Kelvin

Version 1.0.9:

Recompiled for 1.0.3

Updated Module Manager Version

Version 1.0.8:

Fixed a null pointer exception

Version 1.0.7:

Changed the icon for the app button

Version 1.0.6:

Fixed loading of settings (Stock button will stay disabled)

Removed the option for disabling the bilzzy button (the bilzzy toolbar has its own functionality for this)

Version 1.0.5:

Merged Kerbas-ad-astra's change to the module to prevent it from being added to a part twice

Added the option to disable either the stock app or the bilzzy button (Only if the bilzzy plugin is installed)

Version 1.0.4b:

Made highlighting of parts slightly brighter

Stock temp gauge threshold doesn't seem to change. So I added more code to change it.

Fixed a problem causing the temperature threshold text not to display as well as a type in the current unit.

Version 1.0.4:

Added label to temperature threshold slider

Threshold slider now affects stock temp gauges threshold

Added Integration with Blizzy's toolbar (Optional)

Possibly fixed highlighting staying red after temperature drops

Version 1.0.3:

Switched KSP version to 1.0.1

Added Coloring for parts over a certain threshold

Added the option to switch between Kelvin, Celsius, and Fahrenheit

Added a slider for switching the coloring threshold

Added a display for the maximum temperature of a part

Version 1.0.2:

Added Degrees symbol

Version 1.0.1:

I now round the temperature of parts to 3 decimal places

Version 1.0.0:

Original Upload

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by rreeggkk
update due to forum update

Screenshots?

Also, there isn't a whole lot of room between 90% to max temperature, maybe add an option (in the config most likely) to change the percent at which it gives you a warning.

I think this mod has a whole lot of potential here.

Edited by smjjames

*SNIP*

i think you need to re-read the OP, it adds temperature to the right click menus on EVERY part.

@rreeggkk

this is awesome dude, been using it to help my testing for my new horizons update, monitoring the atmosphere temperatures is so much easier in celcius than kelvin....at least for me it is!

great plugin, the only thing i can suggest is to add some kind of rounding to the decimals, so there isn't such a long string of decimal numbers

Screenshots?

Also, there isn't a whole lot of room between 90% to max temperature to max temperature, maybe add an option (in the config most likely) to change the percent at which it gives you a warning.

I think this mod has a whole lot of potential here.

This is a release but it is also a work in progress. I do think I will add a slider for configuration that.

i think you need to re-read the OP, it adds temperature to the right click menus on EVERY part.

@rreeggkk

this is awesome dude, been using it to help my testing for my new horizons update, monitoring the atmosphere temperatures is so much easier in celcius than kelvin....at least for me it is!

great plugin, the only thing i can suggest is to add some kind of rounding to the decimals, so there isn't such a long string of decimal numbers

Thanks and I will try to round it off to 2 or 3 decimal points.

Very nice! I look forward to additional features of this mod.

I think having the option of how many decimals for the rounding would be good to add. Anything more than 1 decimal is usually overkill when dealing with rocket parts, but 3 is better than a gazillion :sticktongue:

The stock game already has the option of showing part temperatures on right-click; check out the Alt-f12 menu under "physics". It also tells you rate of heat loss and gain from each part via convection/conduction/radiation. I believe this is new for 1.0. What it DOESN'T tell you is how close that part is to its max temperature (it doesn't tell you the max temperature of each part at all). The trouble is, in terms of gameplay, even if you stop burning your engine when the part gets close to its max temp, it might still overheat if the part is being indirectly heated by a chain of conductive parts. I absolutely love the new thermal management issues in KSP, it forces some interesting design choices, i.e., with nuclear engines you more or less have to connect the engine directly to a big fuel tank that provides a lot of thermal mass and conducts heat away from the engine.

Could you add the version number & last update date to the thread title so we can see at a glance when you update it?

Edit: Also the, guiUnits = "\u00B0C", code change doesn't seem to have worked. The degrees are showing the code, not the symbol.

Edited by ExavierMacbeth

The stock game already has the option of showing part temperatures on right-click; check out the Alt-f12 menu under "physics". It also tells you rate of heat loss and gain from each part via convection/conduction/radiation. I believe this is new for 1.0. What it DOESN'T tell you is how close that part is to its max temperature (it doesn't tell you the max temperature of each part at all). The trouble is, in terms of gameplay, even if you stop burning your engine when the part gets close to its max temp, it might still overheat if the part is being indirectly heated by a chain of conductive parts. I absolutely love the new thermal management issues in KSP, it forces some interesting design choices, i.e., with nuclear engines you more or less have to connect the engine directly to a big fuel tank that provides a lot of thermal mass and conducts heat away from the engine.

I know that it tells you that and I am currently working on showing parts on your craft that are about to reach their max temperature.

Could you add the version number & last update date to the thread title so we can see at a glance when you update it?

Edit: Also the, guiUnits = "\u00B0C", code change doesn't seem to have worked. The degrees are showing the code, not the symbol.

Thanks for telling me this. I will look into this.

I like the thought, I am lazy and like something simple. But I think this could be a little simpler to understand for the end user.

I would like to suggest that you look at doing a bar that fills up as the thermal load of the part increases. Going from blue (cool) to Red (About the vaporize). This way some one can look at the UI element and see right away when things will explode. If you continue the theme, you can even add a value into it that shows the rate of change for the part. Just keep it in Kelvin please so we do not need to translate K to C or K to F.

Ok, those are my thoughts, good luck.

Looks like squads new 1.0.1 just rendered some of your planned features as uneeded.

F10 Turns on/off Thermal Gauges : When parts start overheating they highlight, start blinking, and get a little tempature bar on them.

F11 Turns on/off the Thermal Overlay that use to only be in the debug.

Still like the idea of being able to see the actual tempature on parts without debug data though :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I've found this very useful mod with CKAN, very simple and indeed very useful.

May I add a couple requests?

- add support for blizzy toolbar, as it isn't a thing to check all the time, its better hidden away (the settings I mean)

- also set an option to automatically disable the stock gauge thingy, first it shows up way too early, and its been reported to cause memory leaks.

Hey, I've found this very useful mod with CKAN, very simple and indeed very useful.

May I add a couple requests?

- add support for blizzy toolbar, as it isn't a thing to check all the time, its better hidden away (the settings I mean)

- also set an option to automatically disable the stock gauge thingy, first it shows up way too early, and its been reported to cause memory leaks.

I can look into the blizzy toolbar and add this to it. It seems like the mod that the person below you posted does this automatically, but I can see if I can adjust the threshold for the stock temperature gauge.

Does this mod negate TemperatureGaugeKiller? I still have a memory lead and just trying to find the problem, not saying this mod is it.

It should not negate it. Looking at the source code for it they should not conflict in any way.

I can look into the blizzy toolbar and add this to it. It seems like the mod that the person below you posted does this automatically, but I can see if I can adjust the threshold for the stock temperature gauge.

Hey, much thanks for adding the toolbar support, but something is missing, if the toolbar is present, there isn't either auto hide nor an option hide it in the stock app bar. Which kinda makes it redundant. :P

Hey rreeggkk, me again :confused:

There is an option to hide from the stock toolbar now, but it doesn't persist :X

Sorry for being a pain in the ass, but it seems it doesn't check before putting it self there.

Hey, great mod here! :) I'd consider it a must have mod because it does something so handy and useful. I saw you were looking for a new icon, so I found this public domain thermometer clip art.

I edited it in Inkscape to be white, so it would look better on the KSP toolbar. In the screenshot, it's the one between HyperEdit and BD Armory. Here is what it looks like:

yikrI9Z.png

Download

Hey, great mod here! :) I'd consider it a must have mod because it does something so handy and useful. I saw you were looking for a new icon, so I found this public domain thermometer clip art.

I edited it in Inkscape to be white, so it would look better on the KSP toolbar. In the screenshot, it's the one between HyperEdit and BD Armory. Here is what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/yikrI9Z.png

Download

Thank you for this. I like it a lot better than that fire icon i got off of google :P.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.