[1.0.5] Heat Management (No longer supported)

Randazzo

That's exactly what happened.

Well, if you have a backup save or a relatively recent quicksave, you can salvage the game by putting the deprecated folder back into the Heat Management folder.

I can put up a copy of the previous version on dropbox when I'm at my personal computer later on, if you've already erased the deprecated folder from your recycle bin or something.

Well, if you have a backup save or a relatively recent quicksave, you can salvage the game by putting the deprecated folder back into the Heat Management folder.

I can put up a copy of the previous version on dropbox when I'm at my personal computer later on, if you've already erased the deprecated folder from your recycle bin or something.

Could you? Because I've looked through my downloads folder and my recycling bin and I can't find an older version of your heat management system.

Download this: Heat Management 0.12 dev.

Drag ONLY the heatsink folder from that zip into the "GameData/HeatManagement/" folder, and allow them to merge. Nothing should be overwritten, if it asks, you've done it wrong. Once that's done you should be back in business.

From this point forward those parts will -not- be supported, so try to move away from them if you can.

Edit: And I'm going on the assumption that you only had the old heatsinks on those ships. If you also had the old radiator panels, this won't work.

Ok, scratch all of that.

Click this: [removed link to defunct website]

Click on "Changelog"

Download v0.21a

Drag the "Deprecated" folder from that zip file into GameData\HeatManagement\

Everything will be fixed. Now, once you get your ships back, stop using those old parts or they'll break everytime a new version comes out unless you save that deprecated folder yourself.

What you need are panels that align perpendicular to that, i.e. with their narrow edges facing the sun; they will take in next to no solar flux and thus radiate out maximally.

After much abuse of brain cells, the radiator panels now track perpendicularly to Kerbol. They also have shiny new heat emissives.

I do apologize for the overly rapid release dates, that was rather poorly handled on my part. First experience with releasing a mod and all, but they will slow down now that I have all the parts pretty much where I want them to be.

I appreciate everyone's support and patience.

Edited by Randazzo

Having a strange thing occur where all the parts are the same size. Upon checking the different models, they are all identical, and all the configs are identical in the scaling values. So, considering the evidence, it's not all that strange. The strange part is that the parts are claiming to be different sizes when they aren't.

Having a strange thing occur where all the parts are the same size. Upon checking the different models, they are all identical, and all the configs are identical in the scaling values. So, considering the evidence, it's not all that strange. The strange part is that the parts are claiming to be different sizes when they aren't.

Did you try to do something clever like change the config files to all address the same model.mu? The actual models are all different sizes and are not interchangeable without editing the scale factors in the config files.

Edit: I've downloaded a fresh copy from KerbalStuff and the model sizes are all correct. I cannot begin to fathom how you might have ended up with a copy containing identical models. A fresh install should correct the issue. If it does not, something else is conflicting.

Edited by Randazzo

Actually, I did nothing to any of the files, otherwise I wouldn't have attempted to ask about it here.

I just re-downloaded the mod from KerbalStuff and checked for identical files and here is the initial result:

In the folders named "125AHMS" and "250AHMS" there are files named "model.mu" which, under a binary difference comparing program, turn out to be identical. The configs both place their scale and rescale parameters to 1. I'm no expert, but that tells me that the part, when placed in the editor, will be exactly the same as the other one, in shape and size. When placing the third part in that set, I discovered that the model was slightly different, but had the same dimensions and stack nodes that were embedded too far inward, resulting in clipping between connected parts.

This is from a fresh, unaltered copy of the files. Nothing added or removed.

Edited by Gaalidas

Actually, I did nothing to any of the files, otherwise I wouldn't have attempted to ask about it here.

I just re-downloaded the mod from KerbalStuff and checked for identical files and here is the initial result:

In the folders named "125AHMS" and "250AHMS" there are files named "model.mu" which, under a binary difference comparing program, turn out to be identical. The configs both place their scale and rescale parameters to 1. I'm no expert, but that tells me that the part, when placed in the editor, will be exactly the same as the other one, in shape and size. When placing the third part in that set, I discovered that the model was slightly different, but had the same dimensions and stack nodes that were embedded too far inward, resulting in clipping between connected parts.

This is from a fresh, unaltered copy of the files. Nothing added or removed.

I checked the dev files on my PC and the Kerbalstuff download right after your initial post. The scale of both models (in Blender) is the same, but they are of different dimensions. The third model is not the same scale, and indeed using one of the other models would cause part node incorrectness.

I know for a fact the models are different sizes, and I know for a fact the Kerbalstuff download contains the correct parts. I cannot reproduce your issue without manually copying and moving the .mu files around.

To expel any doubt, these are all three AHMS .mu files imported directly into blender from the zip downloaded from kerbalstuff:

bcFjeqe.png

Unless there's more information you want to share, there's unfortunately nothing I can do for you.

Edited by Randazzo

... Can you make a version of these that does double duty mounting more than one NERVA? It would make life a lot easier trying to build an interplanetary tug.

... Can you make a version of these that does double duty mounting more than one NERVA? It would make life a lot easier trying to build an interplanetary tug.

That's a great idea! I wonder how complicated it would be... stacking might be an issue.

In the meantime, if you're interested, you can get ahold of some bigger engines to slap on those bigger parts.

Alright, per the above suggestion, the following is in development:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 800]

[TR]

[TD]KlrGDnU.png[/TD]

[TD]7rJAULS.png[/TD]

[TD]VqVkvWC.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The development thread (please put any feedback in it) is HERE. I would appreciate any intrepid souls willing to test this out.

Edited by Randazzo

So I've been looking for a good radiator pack for a long time which doesn't rely on any other massive mods, looks like I've finally found one. I am wondering however, is there anything that can be done to realistically add heat sources to stations and whatnot? That is, I want stations to need radiators, even if I'm not burning engines nor reentering. I would think this means that electricity consuming parts, crew cabins and all sun-facing parts should produce heat? Is this even feasible with the current mechanics?

So I've been looking for a good radiator pack for a long time which doesn't rely on any other massive mods, looks like I've finally found one. I am wondering however, is there anything that can be done to realistically add heat sources to stations and whatnot? That is, I want stations to need radiators, even if I'm not burning engines nor reentering. I would think this means that electricity consuming parts, crew cabins and all sun-facing parts should produce heat? Is this even feasible with the current mechanics?

I believe the sun does cause parts to heat up ever-so-slightly via radiation and there is even an insolation slider in the alt+f12 menu that you could try turning up. The rest might be possible through abusing the resource conversion module. If you were to turn the heat generation back on and set the module to consume and produce some resource at identical rates, it should just chug away producing heat. I'm not sure how it could be regulated through, and you would still have to activate it manually.

That's probably as clear as mud and about as helpful, but there you have it. ;)

Edit: Actually, it seems to work pretty well.

Edited by Randazzo

I checked the dev files on my PC and the Kerbalstuff download right after your initial post. The scale of both models (in Blender) is the same, but they are of different dimensions. The third model is not the same scale, and indeed using one of the other models would cause part node incorrectness.

I know for a fact the models are different sizes, and I know for a fact the Kerbalstuff download contains the correct parts. I cannot reproduce your issue without manually copying and moving the .mu files around.

To expel any doubt, these are all three AHMS .mu files imported directly into blender from the zip downloaded from kerbalstuff:

http://i.imgur.com/bcFjeqe.png

Unless there's more information you want to share, there's unfortunately nothing I can do for you.

I really wish there was more information to give you, but my experience was that all three parts were not even flat like that. They were shaped more like a fuel tank, all the same size and shape, with the larger one using nodes that were inset slightly. I can't explain it. This just gets weirder by the moment.

I'd like to make a suggestion for a new part.

In 0.90, the strut/fuel line was overhauled and is now supposed to be easily extendable. I think a heatduct part using that system would be useful.

It would basically be a copper pipe that quickly equalizes heat between the two connected parts (two-way). It would add flexibility to the placement of the radiator parts.

In 0.90, the strut/fuel line was overhauled and is now supposed to be easily extendable. I think a heatduct part using that system would be useful.

It would basically be a copper pipe that quickly equalizes heat between the two connected parts (two-way). It would add flexibility to the placement of the radiator parts.

Seconded. That's a great idea!

I noticed that docking ports don't transfer heat, something like that would certainly help with problems like this:

hwFE30A.png

It's not looking like this is going to be possible with a fuel line type part. From what I can gather, the only portion of the line that actually "exists" is the base that is created when you place the part. The rest is just a visual representation of a game mechanic. I can make the base portion soak or dump heat, but it does not carry over to the other end of the fuel line.

I did try to add physics to the end-point of the model, but that was a bust as well. The compound part module is functioning on some spatial relation dynamic that I don't understand. It might be quaternion, but even aligning all the parts to match locally doesn't give the desired result. The endpoint connects, but the line and pivot models end up elsewhere.

So, for the time being at least, I can't make it work. Maybe somewhere down the road if I can figure out how the model actually works (but it seems there's a slim chance of that considering I don't know of any custom fuel-line models out there - I don't think anyone has figured it out. Maybe KAS lines.), AND adding physics representation to the parts works.