[1.4] Electrical engines !

Are the engines too powerful for their electric consumption ?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Are the engines too powerful for their electric consumption ?

• Yes
    • No

I have a problem with the packaging of your mod.

You've included Firespitter.dll in your plugins directory instead of in the [correct] /GameData/Firespitter/Plugins/Firespitter.DLL location.

If you're going to packing in DLLs from other mods please keep them in the original mods location. Firespitter updated and having two versions of the DLL causes issues.

Thank you, I'll do it, didn't think about it.

Are there any example planes?

I'll make one or two in the next update, even if I don't think it's really necessary :P

Any news on this stuff? I really like it, those engines and batteries are cool :D. The texture is... well, not so good. The RAM it takes also says the same. I hope you can make those textures better and maybe add a radial electric propeller engine. There is already one from KAX, but that just sips charge like crazy and my game isn't very nice to KAX. It would be awesome if these engines could use FScoolant or intakeatm instead of intake air as resource, imagine a Duna biplane or an Eve fighter :confused:.

The intake air they use is different from the intake air of kerbin ones, just use them on duna or eve, I should work.

Can I make a second call for things like firespitter to be in the correct folder structure and for a version that uses existing textures for those of us on a diet as far as memory footprint goes?

Also, if you get time, could you update the OP with the battery capacity and engine power usages?

And finally (sorry to just make a series of requests) add me to the users who would download this like a shot if the 'air' on Duna and Eve was as usable by an electric fan as air on kerbin, which my mind says it should be.

Yes, I'll release the fix tomorrow with the new textures, I hope you'll like them.

As I said, they should be working on dune and eve, just try them then we'll see if they don't work ;)

The Mk2 Battery Tank is not quite fitting properly with the stock Mk2 parts.

Also, there's no texture on the inside of the shroud on the XT-01, at the right angle, it just disappears.

About the mk2, you know, they are very difficult to make on blender, I'll try to correct them as soon as possible, but I don't think it'll be done in the tomorrow update, maybe the next one if everything is fine, you can use it, ones updated you'll just notice the difference without remaking the planes.

About the XT-01 and XT-02, it's the texture bug I'm struggling with since 2 days now :/

Expect a new update tomorrow night !, so in less than 24 hours guys :)

Thanks for your feedbacks, and sorry for the long time without post, I was very busy with some irl work, and btw, I'm married since 3 days now ;)

Edited by touzenesmy

The problem is coming from the turbines of XT01 and 02 part textures, they are very complex, but as I'm working on them right now, I'll try to reduce them and rework them completly

- - - Updated - - -

You know what, I'll remake the ST-01 Turbine completly, for a cooler and lighter one, you'll like it, and expect the mod to be very lighter since then ;)

I have a lot of troubles with the new XT-01 Turbine, I remade it completly, you'll like it guys, but it's making me a bit crazy ;)

I'll complete it tomorrow, sorry about it guys :/

Great to hear that! These engines should work on Duna and Eve? Okay, i'll make a Duna plane with folding wings and electric engines and add it to my Duna Incognito

mission. We'll see if it works. (I hope it will, Jeb's life depends on that)

Great to hear that! These engines should work on Duna and Eve? Okay, i'll make a Duna plane with folding wings and electric engines and add it to my Duna Incognito

mission. We'll see if it works. (I hope it will, Jeb's life depends on that)

Make a savegame before deploy, if it don't work just pm me and I promise I'll fix it for ya :)

MOD FINISHED !!! Sorry the ST-01 new animation didn't stop bugging :D, FINISHED IT RIGHT NOW !!!

UPLOADING

READ THIS:

PLEASE DELETE THE OLD MOD FILE BEFORE COPYING THE NEW ONE OR YOU'LL HAVE FIRESPITTER INCOMPATIBILITIES

Uploading :)

UPLOADED

- - - Updated - - -

Dude youre amazing! This mod will go very far, I expect .625 and mk2 parts from you too! Keep up the good work!

mk2 are already here bro !

About the .625, they'll be here in the next update, and even the .3 for camera drones :)

Edited by touzenesmy

Glad to see the update! I'm generally liking this lightweight electric engine pack. However, I have a few nitpicks:

1. The ST-0.5 and battery pack are described as 0.675 meters across, when they're really 0.625 m (= 1.25/2) across.

2. The 0.625m parts are listed as being size1, when they should belong to the size0 bulkheadProfiles. (Shameless plug ahead...:wink:) I've also defined a "size00" for 0.35m parts in my set of custom bulkhead sizes for Filter Extensions, so when you've got 0.35m parts made, you might consider including a patch to move them to size00 if Filter Extensions is installed.

3. Because your engines take in IntakeAir without checking for oxygen, I could use them to power jet engines on Eve. You might want to look at the Community Resource Pack -- they define a "IntakeAtm" resource that has the same density, but because it isn't used by jet engines, intakes can safely take it in without oxygen. If you'd rather not include CRP as a full dependency, you can make a ModuleManager patch that goes like "RESOURCE_DEFINITION:NEEDS[!CommunityResourcePack]", so it only creates the resource if CRP isn't around.

Glad to see the update! I'm generally liking this lightweight electric engine pack. However, I have a few nitpicks:

1. The ST-0.5 and battery pack are described as 0.675 meters across, when they're really 0.625 m (= 1.25/2) across.

2. The 0.625m parts are listed as being size1, when they should belong to the size0 bulkheadProfiles. (Shameless plug ahead...:wink:) I've also defined a "size00" for 0.35m parts in my set of custom bulkhead sizes for Filter Extensions, so when you've got 0.35m parts made, you might consider including a patch to move them to size00 if Filter Extensions is installed.

3. Because your engines take in IntakeAir without checking for oxygen, I could use them to power jet engines on Eve. You might want to look at the Community Resource Pack -- they define a "IntakeAtm" resource that has the same density, but because it isn't used by jet engines, intakes can safely take it in without oxygen. If you'd rather not include CRP as a full dependency, you can make a ModuleManager patch that goes like "RESOURCE_DEFINITION:NEEDS[!CommunityResourcePack]", so it only creates the resource if CRP isn't around.

Debbuging right now, you'll get the fix this night I hope :)

- - - Updated - - -

Added new feature, now the battery tanks can be surface attached to each other :)

(it'll be here in the next update)

Edited by touzenesmy

ENGINES NEED x8 more elecrtrical power now to work, prepare your solar panels for the next update ! :)

That sounds better. I just built a plane that will run forever off a single NTG which seems overpowered. I was thinking 4 NTG would be a good amount for the medium engine.

can you update CKAN to 1.6 before you nerf the engines please?

Yes, gimme some time :)

EDIT:

After some time I don't figure why the CKAN file didn't update, that's pretty bad and I HAVE TO release a new version of the mod if I want it to be update the CKAN automatically (without doing a manual request and wait)

So I'll wait a few days, and see what's the poll results

Edited by touzenesmy

ENGINES NEED x8 more elecrtrical power now to work, prepare your solar panels for the next update ! :)

Oh, no! That what I liked about this mod is that you don't need to clutter your plane in solar panels like with Firespitter or KAX. I think, x4 the power consumption should be enough. If you do x8, I will blame you for making my Duna plane, which I spent hours on working, useless :P!

Oh, wait, I could always .cfg edit…

For now, I think about making it about x3 or x4, we'll see.

NEXT UPDATE WILL BE IN 3 DAYS ! WHAT PART DO YOU ASK FOR FELLOW BROTHERS?

how about in the update you include the option of the current engines and the x3 or x4 in a separate folder?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.