Bug? No mono being used by kerbals

So I totally messed up a trip to Minmus. The launch from kerbin was terrible, intercept was highly inefficient, and the landing was worse. I only managed to get to low minmus orbit on the way back and the fuel was gone.

So for some reason and got out to push. I knew it wouldnt do much since I only had the 15 units of mono from a command pod.

Except when Val got back in the pod, I noticed the pod's mono wasnt being consumed. She could refill her tank each time she got in the pod.

So long story short, after some 5 hours playing and some 35 trips back to the command pod and a slingshot around the mun I managed to get back! :D

I was happy I made it back but I'm wondering if it's supposed to be like that.. I had no RCS controls in the ship and that might have triggered an infinite mono bug I believe.

That's not a bug, I believe. It's been this way for I don't know how long but at least since 0.90. Someone else might chime in with a more accurate answer there.

I think of it as the EVA mono prop fuel is not the same as the mono prop used by the ship's RCS and the command pod has these tanks inside. Go IVA and look around, the Mk I has these tiny tanks, why not think that's where they store the "EVA mono prop fuel"?

As far as I know it's not necessarily a bug, just something that's always been like that. I vaguely recall the devs wanting to make the MMU pack use mono fuel to refuel.

Kudos to you for getting back so far by getting out and pushing, thats pretty much how my first Mun landing in thus save went, except with 5 pushes instead of 35 :)

Yes, it was supposed to consume monoprop but it didn't. Harvester make some sort of math mistake somehow and thought that the fuel was a lot heavier than it was:

The original idea (and implementation) was indeed that the Kerbals would use the monoprop from the pods to fuel themselves.

During experimental testing however, we noticed everyone was getting frustrated with it because those tanks, being just normal mono containers, would get drained out using RCS, and when it was time to EVA there would be no more fuel left for them. It didn't work as well in practice as it did in theory, and without a total rewrite of the RCS flow logic, which we just didn't have the time for, we had to think of something else.

In the end, this feature was causing more aggravation than enjoyment.

There were other issues as well, for instance, the mono on EVA suits had to be 'hacked' to zero density, otherwise the added weight would make Kerbals unable to walk properly (just those 5 units of mono was several times heavier than they are themselves). The EVA propellant resource can have its own defined properties, so it works without having to resort to hacky fixes.

The switch to EVA prop solved all those issues without having to do a full reversal back to the old system. Now they have all the advantages of having a proper resource-based pack propellant, without the problems that arose from that fuel being the same as the one used for RCS.

I decided to leave the RCS containers on the pods however, because that did prove very useful for minimal craft designs, as you noticed as well. :)

Cheers

Note how he says "5 units of mono was several times heavier than they are themselves" - that cannot be true. 5 units of monoprop is 5/250t, or 20kg. A kerbal is 93-94kg in EVA suit. Also several mods have added monoprop AND life support to suits with no ill effects, even though the kerbals were carrying more than 20kg. So he must have put more than 5 units on 'em or something (maybe 5*5 units? although even that is only 100kg, not 'several times' their mass)

Also RCS flow HAS been rewritten.

*taps foot impatiently*

EVA-Fuel should drain the RCS ressources on vessels, if it was to much the first time they tried it, maybe work with a factor? 5 units EVARCS equals .05 units RCS or something like that?

I was in this exact situation last night. Instead of spending an hour or two (3 minutes/kerbal-pack, needed roughly 30 trips) to get back from Minmus, I launched a pusher probe out to rendezvous, nosed into the bell of the Poodle, and pushed my poor stranded kerbals home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.