1.0.1: pod,6x FL-100 fuel tanks, LV-T30 engine strictly vertical launch - 100% flip

Mipe

Edit: Mipe, that javelin would have stability issues going transsonic. :D

More to the point, it would have stability issues if you threaded a bowling ball to the front of it, or if you tried to throw it into a tornado.

Right! I've now managed to reach the airfield with the same rocket + fins. It takes a little bit of coasting, but very doable.

Thanks for answers and, more importantly, the patience!

Reminder: There's no such thing as a strictly vertical launch in KSP. The space center is a flat object placed on top of a round object. Because the launchpad is near the easter edge of KSC, a rocket on the launchpad always tilts slightly to the west.

Reminder: There's no such thing as a strictly vertical launch in KSP. The space center is a flat object placed on top of a round object. Because the launchpad is near the easter edge of KSC, a rocket on the launchpad always tilts slightly to the west.

Thats also the reason why you start to roll with a plane on the runway once physics kicks in.

Hm, I can't seem to be able to achieve the orbit with under 3k dv anymore in 1.0.1... I am distressed. :(

(it involves turning early and blasting through the atmosphere, equalizing at ~35 and burning to LKO)

From the model rocket days. One of our club members was experimenting with the fiberglass case E-series engines using solid propellent that was not the usual gunpowder. When the rocket, made of cardboard tubing and balsa fins, hit supersonic speed, it turned into a cloud of shattered pieces.

Swapping ends has always been there. Just more so with the new aerodynamic models if you turn too much at speed. Fins should help with the stability issue.

Yeah, turns out they raised drag and lift in 1.0.1/2, so can't really "blast" through the dense atmosphere and build speed up on the ~35k altitude... It's constantly bled off now, so the below 3k dv flight profile is no longer possible, at least not for rockets.

Disappointing, but I'll live with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.