Aero changes in 1.01?

For changes that are that basic, it should be more specific.

Like percentage change in drag, specific changes in constants.

The problem with that though is that most people don't care what it was changes from or to because they don't know how that affects gameplay.

The problem with that though is that most people don't care what it was changes from or to because they don't know how that affects gameplay.

I care thats why I ask. And im sure most of the plane building folks aswell.

Why do you think there's 31% less lift?

Old lift: liftMultiplier = 0.038

New lift: liftMultiplier = 0.055

44.7% more lift.

Seems I had the calculator upside down.

Why do you think there's 31% less lift?

Old lift: liftMultiplier = 0.038

New lift: liftMultiplier = 0.055

44.7% more lift.

I hate to ask, but does this mean my 'minimally winged' plane which used to freefall at 14m/s ASL in 1.0 will now actually fall even slower? xD

l8vDX2d.jpg

From update:

* Aerodynamics

* New values for physics global drag and lift multipliers.

So what exactly changed? It seems to me that drag was turned up.

The Aerodynamics line itself was a formatting issue, that was supposed to be a section header, not a bullet point. Not sure about the new values.

I'm assuming this was to address the parachute issues; boost drag so the capsule isn't doing Mach 2 at 4km up.

That was part of it. Drag overall was too low, except for parachutes...which were quite a bit OP.

I hate to ask, but does this mean my 'minimally winged' plane which used to freefall at 14m/s ASL in 1.0 will now actually fall even slower? xD
As far as I can tell, stalls are not simulated what-so-ever.

Well, it's a bit more tied together than that, but also set up at a fairly forgiving level. Stall behavior is simulated to an extent. Planes will lose lift at high angles of attack and slow speeds. However, the stall AoA is quite high and the resulting "free fall" can still generate quite a bit of lift while falling straight down.

So there is some stall-like behavior, but it's extremely forgiving and you probably aren't going to suffer a "crash and burn" from a pure stall event. However, the curves were made externally modifiable, so that they can be tweaked to provide quite a different feel if desired.

Cheers,

~Claw

Edited by Claw

So there still quite a bit of need for a nuFAR.

Stalls are happening pretty good at least for my first plane, pitching up heavily without thrust and it immediately drops its speed to around 30m/s when falling down on its nose again.

Anyway, I'm wondering how drag have been altered, I'm having a rather bad behavior with in-line rockets generating lots and lots of drag, specific thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/119898-Help-with-the-1-0-2-Aero?p=1913178#post1913178

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.