MK16 Chute overheating in 1.0.2

I just updated the game and now find that all MK16 chutes burn up on re-entry. The setup is very simple, a MK16 chute on top of a MK I command pod with a heatshield on the bottom. I did a mission to the moon and back this morning and everything was fine, the same pod survived (without any problems). I just tried returning from the moon with the exact same setup and the chute was destroyed, even though the pod was oriented the right way, all the way. This happened to two different craft (good bye Jeb and Valentina...) A third craft had the radial chutes next to MK16, and they didn't burn up. I never used deadly re-entry, as the first time I used it it was extremely bugged, and I never looked at it again. I hoped now that Squad made it stock it would be without these strange bugs... apparently not... Worst thing.. there is a craft heading for Duna with the MK16 chutes... It was designed to use them, so those Kerbals are also heading for a certain doom (first time going past minmus since 0.19), Ah well, hopefully there is another small fix before the next 20 ingame days pass :P

Yup, just tried again, with the shallowest of re-entry's I ever did. The parachute is activated by staging, but not deployed yet. It gets destroyed long before it should deploy

II never used deadly re-entry, as the first time I used it it was extremely bugged, and I never looked at it again. I hoped now that Squad made it stock it would be without these strange bugs... apparently not...

DRE was not made stock. This is Squad's own heat code.

Will try that later, it is a bit late now to start (the famous) one more mission. Got Jeb parked in a very eccentric stable orbit. The problem with an unactivated re-entry is that the chute is already activated, by accident, when staging on the Mun (always those staging errors, even after all these years). Will have to look into this a bit more tomorrow. If this stays I need to find a way to turn this re-entry stuff of for the current save.

Will try that later, it is a bit late now to start (the famous) one more mission. Got Jeb parked in a very eccentric stable orbit. The problem with an unactivated re-entry is that the chute is already activated, by accident, when staging on the Mun (always those staging errors, even after all these years). Will have to look into this a bit more tomorrow. If this stays I need to find a way to turn this re-entry stuff of for the current save.

Can all kerbals repack parachutes, or just engineers? If all kerbals can then you can repack it and deploy it through clicking later.

If the chutes already deployed then your going to need a rescue mission. Either with space to bring him home or an experienced (level 1?) engineer to repack his chute.

I doubt it'll work, but aerobraking at around 40-45km on a few orbits to bleed off some of your velocity will reduce the total heat your chute will experience. I don't think it would be enough however.

Edited by ghpstage

The last attempt was braking from Munar orbit to 40k Kerbin Pe, took 4 orbits.

DRE was not made stock. This is Squad's own heat code.

I know, that is why I was a little bit happy about it, this should be the way the makers of the game want it, and currently at this very moment I hate it a lot.

Yeah, you gotta keep em packed till you're slowed down

What is the use of setting the opening pressures and altitudes if you are not allowed to use it... That is what my Duna lander was designed around, different groups of MK16 chutes opening at different heights, all staged when 15k Pe is established (Straight in from Kerbin)

Thank you all for the quick tips, I'm going to get some sleep (01:41 AM here) and hopefully be a bit more positive about this situation in the morning... Version 0.17 was the last time I killed Jeb... And now I killed him again :( I really feel bad about that.. Main mission number one: Keep Jeb alive: Failed

Change the pressure slider so it's a reasonably high number, like 0.25. That will prevent them from deploying until that pressure (may even need to be higher). It's *basically* in bars; 1.0 is sea level, 0.0 is space... the pressure meter can tell you what the value is at a given altitude.

To be specific: it's the "Min Pressure" bar that appears at the top of the chute's right click context menu. Not the 'Altitude' bit. The 'Altitude' is for FULL deployment, and "Min Pressure" for partial deployment. You don't want any sort of deployment whilst on fire.

Hi

I think i like the challange but! Any advice on what altitude/speed it is save to deploy them with the new heating code ?

Cause i dont have much funds left and will do a funding mining mission to the mun (Using He3 mod! (really cool stuff!)) If succeful this could get me rouchly 1.3 million :-)

Thanks a lot!

Hi

I think i like the challange but! Any advice on what altitude/speed it is save to deploy them with the new heating code ?

Cause i dont have much funds left and will do a funding mining mission to the mun (Using He3 mod! (really cool stuff!)) If succeful this could get me rouchly 1.3 million :-)

Thanks a lot!

Depends on how fat your craft is. Best time to deploy them is after the fires have died and you get rid of the mach effect. Sometime around or under 8 km up.

Anyone else finding the default deployment height of 500m actually results in slamming into the ground now?

Before, I often used 50m height for water splashdowns of <5t craft. As it is now depending on your weight you might not want to go under 300-350m for any type of landing.

I always put parachutes in their own stage separate from everything else (usually the last one). I've never had a problem with it accidentally firing (even when docking/undocking or switching vessels). That way I just hit spacebar to activate them after the firey-bit of the reentry process.

There really should be a way to "unstage" parachutes if you have accidentally staged them in space.

Thats true. But I'm so happy we have a realistic re-entry model at all now I won't complain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.