[1.0.x] More Propulsion Options - Solar Sail, Quadcopter Fan, Afterburners, Peristaltic, EMScoop

This is a "lightweight" part pack in that it uses existing assets and textures whenever possible, like Restock used to do.

Features:

* Solar sails (without plugins)

* Quadcopter fan (without plugins), works in non-oxygen atmospheres, great for that Eve powerglider

* Peristaltic thruster (We're working on that for the Alpha Cubesat challenge) (without plugins)

* Electromagnetic scoop to be used with the ion engine

* Fissile mass resource for RTGs and nuclear engines

* Afterburners for jet engines (twice the thrust at the price of much lower ISP)

* Another few useful parts, like a drop tank

You can get it here: http://robots-everywhere.com/portfolio/games/ksp/mms-10-mini-noftp.zip License is CC-NC-SA-4 same as everything else I do.

If you like, this one also has utiilities for a shared save via FTP. There are two executable files in it, so it probably will look dodgy to an antivirus or download manager.

You can get it here: http://robots-everywhere.com/portfolio/games/ksp/mms-10-mini.zip

Thanks, taking some screenshots then.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's pictures then!

1430544286ksp_peristaltic.jpg

The peristaltic thruster takes whatever excess resources you have (including ore if necessary, although vaporizing them costs a lot of power) and uses them in a low-ISP resistojet. Useful to burn extra oxidizer left over in a spaceplane, or to build a simple ISRU hopper.

1430544294ksp_quadcopter.jpg

Just your average quadcopter fan. Contains both an throttleable motor and a RCS, to allow for somewhat realistic steering. Needs atmosphere to work, but not oxygen, so good to get that Eve glider back in the air if it has enough solar panels.

1430544302ksp_solsail.jpg

A solar sail - this will work according to what angle it is to the Sun (if at all), so you'll actually have to tack by pivoting your space probe! Like the ion engine, the thrust is exaggerated. To turn off, fold it.

There's a few other things but they're not very interesting to look at.

Edited by spiritplumber
Added pictures

I think it's tripping on the two small executables that do the FTP stuff. There are no pictures because there isn't much to look at.

I changed the link above so that it's just the parts. Thanks!

Edited by spiritplumber

I think it's tripping on the two small executables that do the FTP stuff. There are no pictures because there isn't much to look at.

I changed the link above so that it's just the parts. Thanks!

No pics, no clicks.

Please put up pictures.

Btw, pictures are kind of required. It's not a site rule, it's a community rule.

I admit:

I downloade it just because you added AFTERBURNERS to jet engines!!!

My own sorta of replica jets used all the basic jet engine for looking, but lacked the option to the added thrust at expense of more fuel using. I was thinking how to do it (using the same switch as the rapier) but you did it!

+ rep immediately

I admit: I downloade it just because you added AFTERBURNERS to jet engines!!!

I've been trying for MONTHS to code afterburners into the jet engines. I got the idea from the mode switch on the- uh- RAPIER? engine squad introduced. How in the world did you manage it? Best I ever did was add the afterburner mode, but in actual use both modes would run at the same time, and the engine would over heat and explode in 3 seconds.

That's quite smart uses of stock part models. Also, peristaltic thruster looks like a good enough way to dump excess fuels. However, there are a lot of weird mods like ion engine rebalancing and KAS stuffs that are not stated to be included in the file. I think they can cause troubles.

@vardicid : He added afterburner mode with lower efficiency and higher thrust, just like you did.

Edited by nedlee

That's quite smart uses of stock part models. Also, peristaltic thruster looks like a good enough way to dump excess fuels. However, there are a lot of weird mods like ion engine rebalancing and KAS stuffs that are not stated to be included in the file. I think they can cause troubles.

@vardicid : He added afterburner mode with lower efficiency and higher thrust, just like you did.

Yeah.. but I never got my version to work. :(;.;:(

Yeah there's some stuff in there that doesn't really work anymore (with 1.0) I gotta clean up a little... Hey everything's a WIP right?

A peristaltic thruster is something we're developing for the Alpha Cubesat project. I doubt it'll work as well IRL as it does in the part file, but here's hoping!

It's all part.cfgs there are no plugins, so go ahead and copy the AB code I Guess!

http://f3.to/portfolio/games/ksp/mms-10-mini-noftp.zip

http://f3.to/portfolio/games/ksp/mms-10-mini.zip

updated:

* EM/peristaltic scoop now works the way it's supposed to (we're building one for real, look up Alpha Cubesat!)

* replaces exes with bats so antiviruses don't freak out

* replaced stack chute with decoupler chute for ease of recovering first stage SRBs without StageRecovery

* added small stack drill, mostly for "hopper" probes that use the volatile mix thruster

* volatile mix thruster has a small monodirectional RCS to represent differential thrust, same as quadcopter impeller

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.