[1.0.x] HoloDeck - Sandboxed Flight Simulations

enneract

On 11/22/2015 at 11:39 PM, inigma said:

I confirm HoloDeck is still working in 1.0.5.

Not for me.

Just tried this in a 1.0.5 on Linux, with a bunch of other mods, and, other than getting the initial dialog which asks to simulate this flight or not, I don't see this when in the flight scene: http://i.imgur.com/VkEQ8kv.png

Update:  Tried it in a clean install, it seems to work.  So there is some interference with/from other mods (I have nearly 200 installed).  I'll see if I can narrow it now.  A clue was that moving the mouse over the three buttons didn't highlight the button it was over

Edit: See my last post, it's a bug in the mod

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Found the offender, it's WASDEditorCameraRedux.

Since I'm maintaining this, I'll  have to figure it out.  Apparently when the WASD is active, it seems to override the mouse on the menu, but only some of the time.

What's even stranger is that all I need to do is mouse over a part, then it works.  So at least I have a clue

Edit:  See my last post, it's a bug in the mod

Edited by linuxgurugamer

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Found the offender, it's WASDEditorCameraRedux.

Since I'm maintaining this, I'll  have to figure it out.  Apparently when the WASD is active, it seems to override the mouse on the menu, but only some of the time.

What's even stranger is that all I need to do is mouse over a part, then it works.  So at least I have a clue

No, it's not WASD.  I just removed it and still have the problem.

Sorry to say, it's the mod itself.

Here is how to reproduce the problem:

1. Install mod in totally clean game
  2. enter game, click on VAB
  3. Click on a command pod, then, WITHOUT PASSING MOUSE OVER THE COMMAND POD, click on the launch icon
  4. Now move the mouse over the displayed menu.  Notice how the buttons don't get highlighted as you pass the mouse over
  5. Now, click Cancel Launch
  6. Move the mouse over the command pod.  No need to click on it, just highlighting it is enough
  7. Now click the Launch button
  8. Move the mouse over the displayed menu.  See how the buttons are now highlighted
  9. Once it starts working, it continues to work

The workaround is fairly easy, it's to move the mouse over the vessel before launching.  I found this because I went into the VAB to test a vehicle, I loaded it up and them immediately went to the  launch button without ever moving the mouse over the vessel.

I hope the fix is easy, I'd really like to see this continue

I'm doing some minor work on HoloDeck, including adding a toolbar button to start the simulation instead of the dialog, and also fixing a bug where if you start a sim without a ship, the save file gets messed up.

I've been in contact with the original author, and his only request (other than to maintain the license and provide credit) was that the name be changed if I do release this.

So, I have a few questions for all of you:

1. Suggestions for a new name
  2. suggestions for enhancements
  3. If you are an artist, I would consider the donation of an icon.  Right now, I have a simple button with the letters SIM on it

I already have it working with a button and removed the other dialog info (actually made it simpler)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Suggestions for a new nameer)

Hello, perhaps SlM for "simulate launch mod"

a L or a l, who know ;)

For my old SRL mod, I've found SIM for Simulate Ironman Mod in reference to the Ironman game-mode in Europa Universalis 4, I've not used this name but it fits nicely for a no revert mod as SRL was, I found this name after the first release of SRL ... :'(

Edited by Malah

I'll look into seeing if Hyperedit has an API, I'd rather not have to copy it's code.  But what I would see is something like the following:

Press the sim button to start.  A dialog would pop up, with a dropdown to select a planet to start at, and orbit to be at, along with a large button at the bottom to start the sim.

On 2/1/2016 at 0:22 AM, Ant said:

Awesome linuxgurugamer!

The enhancement that I'd like to see is the ability to launch into various orbits, so you can start orbiting Minimus or wherever.

This will happen with integration with HyperEdit.  I've pushed a change to them (Hyperedit), now need to wait for it to be accepted and released. 

It's working for me now.

=========

I'm getting close to a release.  Just have one bug to find, and also to wait for Cybutek to integrate and release my changes to Hyperedit.

Currently it is only from the VAB/SPH, but the code is there to be able to start a sim in flight.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 1/31/2016 at 0:19 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm doing some minor work on HoloDeck, including adding a toolbar button to start the simulation instead of the dialog, and also fixing a bug where if you start a sim without a ship, the save file gets messed up.

I've been in contact with the original author, and his only request (other than to maintain the license and provide credit) was that the name be changed if I do release this.

So, I have a few questions for all of you:

1. Suggestions for a new name
  2. suggestions for enhancements
  3. If you are an artist, I would consider the donation of an icon.  Right now, I have a simple button with the letters SIM on it

I already have it working with a button and removed the other dialog info (actually made it simpler)

I highly recommend keeping it simple and direct to what it does by using the name "simulator" or "simulation": 

KSC Simulator

or

Simulation Mode

or

KSC Aerospace Simulator

or something akin to the real thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Environment_Simulation_Laboratory

thanks for picking this mod up @linuxgurugamer !

Edited by inigma

On 2/11/2016 at 5:06 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Comments on these two potential names:

Kerbal Environment Laboratory Simulator (KELS)

Kerbal Environment Simulator Laboratory (KESL)

Thanks

Just an update for those who are waiting.  A really nasty bug cropped up, it's taken me several days to figure out.  But I just did, I think I have one major bug left before giving it to a test for a quick review and then releasing.

Be patient, it will be before the end of the month.

LGG

Haha I came here to report a minor bug in Holodeck, only to find it's being rebuilt and repurposed as KRASH. Very cool.

Now I'll head over there :)

(If you're curious, there's clickthrough on the 3 buttons in Holodeck. If you simulate or launch it's no big deal, but if you cancel you also grab whatever part is below the cancel button)

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Haha I came here to report a minor bug in Holodeck, only to find it's being rebuilt and repurposed as KRASH. Very cool.

Now I'll head over there :)

(If you're curious, there's clickthrough on the 3 buttons in Holodeck. If you simulate or launch it's no big deal, but if you cancel you also grab whatever part is below the cancel button)

I'm pretty sure I fixed that bug, please confirm if it is still happening.

LGG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.