Decouplers + nose cones now do crossfeed?

I've built a simple 3-stage rocket with no intended crossfeed.

Playing with new slanted nose cones, I've hooked them onto radial decouplers (it feels like they are made for each other, and separation in flight is perfect)

And the result was that my boosters drained core tanks dry. Both nose cones and decouplers have fuel crossfeed, and placing booster fuel tank in stack under the nose cone triggered 'reverse' asparagus.

...seems like a good reason for me to learn Module Manager syntax...

ZlU8iqq.jpg

Edited by Psycho_zs

There's a bit of odd behavior with radial decouplers and crossfeed: They will not crossfeed to tanks attached to them, but they will crossfeed through non-tank parts attached to them. I bet if you attach the fuel tanks to the decouplers rather than the nosecones the crossfeed issues will go away.

I noticed that today too. I made an air launched vehicle and saw that it was drawing fuel from the external tank through a TT-38K which was attached to a Mk 2 jet fuel fuselage.

screenshot8_zpsozqgluwg.jpg

screenshot10_zpsfev5xg4x.jpg

ETA- Just ran a test on the launch pad. Attached to a rocket fuel tank there was no fuel flow through the TT-38K but when I stuck them onto a jet fuel tank there was fuel cross feed from the external boosters.

Edited by Reactordrone

I think that's a different effect happening there, Reactordrone. Air-breathing engines ignore crossfeed rules and draw liquid fuel like monopropellant, draining all tanks evenly in a stage, with stage determined by the number of decouplers between the tank and the root part.

There's a bit of odd behavior with radial decouplers and crossfeed: They will not crossfeed to tanks attached to them, but they will crossfeed through non-tank parts attached to them. I bet if you attach the fuel tanks to the decouplers rather than the nosecones the crossfeed issues will go away.

I think you're onto something. I was trying to make a Soyuz replica, and I had attached the nose cones to the decouplers to be more like the real thing. I couldn't figure out why the boosters were taking all the fuel from the core. If this hasn't been posted in the Support forum, it should be -- it'll be a confirmed bug quickly.

My craft here:

pIfo9WP.png

Edited by GusTurbo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.