New Heat System causes memory leak

I'm also having this problem.

I7-4790k

16gb ram

gtx980

win 7

No mods.

The fact that the heat never goes down is a big problem because this breaks a lot of other things like the nuclear engine which is heating up my entire space craft.

Edited by Tripzter

So that's why I keep crashing.. ha. Far Interplanetary missions are now on hold. It was actually an absurdly BAD idea to introduce the heating without introducing the counter measure at the same time.

I recently flew a plane about 1/4 of the way around Kerbin. I never got very fast, I don't think I ever saw mach 1 in fact. Due to the hardcoding of the temp display to F10 (my "record" key) I had the gauges on for the whole flight.

I had the new non-retractable landing gear on the plane, and some time during the flight the temperature gauge popped up on them. 3 gauges, about halfway up. They also had a very light glow.

After I landed, my Kerbal got out of the plane, took his surface science, and I recovered him. The game crashed. The log showed an OOM error.

So at least in this case, high temperature or "lots of gauges" was not the cause.

Same issue here. However, I never landed as the fixed rear gear seems to have that issue any time that speeds exceed 260m/s for an extended time and didn't seem to disturb the performance and I thought the crashes were just KSP being KSP. However, the issue seems to be replicated pretty easily by building a basic jet with the fixed rear gear and the throttle maxed for an extended flight.

Repeating portion of the log just before the game crashed due to OOM:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[Experiments]: FX Modules set: 0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[Experiments]: Setting FX Modules to 1...

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: KSP Surveyor II

Maneuver Mode enabled

Camera Mode: AUTO

Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 59004B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: Physics

Allocation happend at: Line:97 in

Memory overview

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 1240767441B | peak: 0B | reserved: 1414243522B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 480413441B | peak: 0B | reserved: 576143136B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 68284B | peak: 0B | reserved: 12582912B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 13172B | peak: 0B | reserved: 4194304B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 833436B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B

Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 59004B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: Physics

Allocation happend at: Line:97 in

Memory overview

I just thought I'd pop in to say that I've tried KSP 1.0.2 on my desktop and I am still not having this issue. There's a small memory leak, but nothing serious.

Computer stats:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K

GPU: GeForce GTX 670

RAM: 16 GB

Same problem. Having to press f10 and disable a game function bit of a joke this many days in from last patch? Plz fix!

Yes, it's annoying. In the mean time there are a few simple mod options that turn it off as soon you enter the flight scene.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120731

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116034

Here is a save file that should help to reproduce the crash reliably: A space plane on the start of a very shallow reentry that takes long enough to crash the game. Just keep the wings level with occasional roll inputs, and let it glide in on its own.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaa03wrt2cpeqtg/quicksave.sfs?dl=0

Yeah, game crash at around 2 GB while flying over KSC (according to KSP debug menu)

That's the first time I've managed to crash the game since I was playing 0.90 Windows 64.

Mods: KER (v1.0.16.6), HyperEdit (v1.4 hotfix 1), Distant Object Enhancement bis (v1.5.5) & RoverDude's Alcubierre Warp Drive (v0.2.0)

Intel Core i3-3110M CPU (2.40GHz)

Intel HD Graphics 4000

4 GB RAM

Windows 8.1 x64

Related Question: I assume the lower RAM usage on crash is due to the fact I only have 4 GB total. Am I correct?

Unrelated Question: Is that above or below the recommended minimum specs? I don't know how to find them.

Edited by TheMoonRover

My installation even leaks memory with gauges turned off. Every time I launch a rocket, fly it to the edge of space and then restart to launchpad, the mem usage is higher than before.

The overall memory usage of KSP is and the way how KSP is using/managing memory is... well, I have no words for it...

[sykrim uses *a little less* memory for *a little better* graphics...]

My installation even leaks memory with gauges turned off. Every time I launch a rocket, fly it to the edge of space and then restart to launchpad, the mem usage is higher than before.

The overall memory usage of KSP is and the way how KSP is using/managing memory is... well, I have no words for it...

[sykrim uses *a little less* memory for *a little better* graphics...]

Since you won't directly say it I will.

KSP's memory handling is garbage. The game is almost unplayable on a 32 bit system (not that anyone should be using a 32 bit OS) and there is ZERO good reason why it needs to load all its assets into memory on load. I also can't see the reason the game needs to make a memory grab while switching scenes.

There's a mod to force the game to load 1/16 res textures on everything until they are actually needed. Why is that not in stock? Only downside with that is Unity's texture loading an LoDs are choppy (compared to something like Unreal, which has a fade transition in there that makes it effectively imperceptible past initial texture load).

Apologies for derail, I get ranty when someone brings up memory usage (I should not have to force 64 bit on this game to load my graphical mods. 1. mem usage should not be this inefficient and 2. this game should have native 64 bit)

Since you won't directly say it I will.

KSP's memory handling is garbage. The game is almost unplayable on a 32 bit system (not that anyone should be using a 32 bit OS) and there is ZERO good reason why it needs to load all its assets into memory on load. I also can't see the reason the game needs to make a memory grab while switching scenes.

There's a mod to force the game to load 1/16 res textures on everything until they are actually needed. Why is that not in stock? Only downside with that is Unity's texture loading an LoDs are choppy (compared to something like Unreal, which has a fade transition in there that makes it effectively imperceptible past initial texture load).

Apologies for derail, I get ranty when someone brings up memory usage (I should not have to force 64 bit on this game to load my graphical mods. 1. mem usage should not be this inefficient and 2. this game should have native 64 bit)

because Unity 4.

Unity 5 (which devs are looking into using for the game now) should bring native 64 bit. Hopefully this means multithreading, which means cores can be used, and also it should bring no memory cap.

I don't crash on Linux from this issue, memory use just peaks for me at 2.8gigs when the gauges are active.

Can anyone on Windows please verify if this crash still occurs when PPFX edge highlighting is disabled and the heat gauges enabled.

because Unity 4.

Unity 5 (which devs are looking into using for the game now) should bring native 64 bit. Hopefully this means multithreading, which means cores can be used, and also it should bring no memory cap.

KSP is already multi-threaded, and always has been. That's not the same as being 64-bit. KSP can only run on one core, but for most people the limiting factor is that the Physics engine can only run on a single thread of a single core.

Unity 5 should allow the game to use all the available cores, and supports multi-threaded (but single core) physics, which would mean an improvement for pretty much any computer setup, and a huge improvement for anyone with an i3 or equivalent processor (or higher), provided that the dev-team are skilled enough.

Can anyone on Windows please verify if this crash still occurs when PPFX edge highlighting is disabled and the heat gauges enabled.

While I said in an earlier post that a smaller leak seems to exist even with PPFX off, that turned out to be wrong. Memory was increasing slowly, but apparently due to something else.

Prompted by your request, I did some more tests with a stationary contraption (craft file) that I left running on infinite fuel, and found no leak with PPFX off.

I also found something else: When PPFX are off at the time the flight scene is loaded, and turned on afterward (i.e. during flight), the leak doesn't seem to happen either, despite the craft being all glowy. It only happens when PPFX are on while switching to the flight scene.

My specs:

AMD FX-6300 (6x3.5 Ghz)

GeForce GTS 450 (1 GB VRAM)

16 GB RAM

Windows 7 x64

Edited by AlmostDifferent
Added specs

That's useful to know AlmostDifferent thank you, also the memory use will go up because the PQS terrain buffer cache is populated as you fly around, Ethanadams is your PC old enough that PPFX isn't supported?

That's useful to know AlmostDifferent thank you, also the memory use will go up because the PQS terrain buffer cache is populated as you fly around
Yeah, I should have done a stationary test case right away, sorry about that. Was too busy trying all the new things at that time, I guess. And too hyped to think straight :)

Just installed Kerbal on SteamOS linux. Added the command to run it in 64 bit mode.

copied over my save and mods directly from my windows install.

Was able to play 3+ hours with lots of scene changes and no crash (quit on my own accord) had many mods on and never turned off temp gaduges. Never could play more than 45-1hour on windows (depending on number of scene changes)

overall higher framerates, I got a few weird full screen artifacting happen a few times (same that has happened to me when trying to play on OSX), but it went away.

I'm going to write a guide how to install dual-boot steamOS and install kerbal wtih mods, it seems like the best solution for crashing for players who play with mods.

the new solution to crashing kerbal: "PLAY ON LINUX"

Edited by dan2600

Just installed Kerbal on SteamOS linux. Added the command to run it in 64 bit mode.

copied over my save and mods directly from my windows install.

Was able to play 3+ hours with lots of scene changes and no crash (quit on my own accord) had many mods on and never turned off temp gaduges. Never could play more than 45-1hour on windows (depending on number of scene changes)

overall higher framerates, I got a few weird full screen artifacting happen a few times (same that has happened to me when trying to play on OSX), but it went away.

I'm going to write a guide how to install dual-boot steamOS and install kerbal wtih mods, it seems like the best solution for crashing for players who play with mods.

the new solution to crashing kerbal: "PLAY ON LINUX"

I hate to say this but:

ysgHDzq.png

Nope! Until Squad fixes the heat bug Linux and several GB of RAM won't save you

Just ran into this bug myself for the first time - doesn't take long either - same craft keeps crashing the game on re-entry - the landing struts are overheating, but otherwise OK. Gets to the point where they're cooling down and boom, crashed game.

Only seems to happen with the 1-2 command module though - game's been rock solid for me up until then... just this one ship that seems to be causing it.

A real pain, since I've just rescued the crew and science data off a stranded ship and need to get it landed to reclaim that science and my kerbals.

Edit: Sorry, this was the Windows version - Windows 7 x64, not that it matters.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, just tried it again without the heat overlay and I can confirm that it was, if not the only bug, a major contributor to the problem - crew is now safely landed and the science being processed.

Prompted by your request, I did some more tests with a stationary contraption (craft file) that I left running on infinite fuel, and found no leak with PPFX off.

Thanks for doing that, have some rep! I was crashing after ~1 minute of heat gauges showing. With PPFX off I just ran a test with a simple plane, infinite fuel and ignore max temp. Flew at 1400 m/s below 20k for over 10 minutes. Every part had its gauge maxed red, but no crash.

A side effect, made it across the ocean to the main content and got to explore that river canyon. So many neat things to see on Kerbin if you have the patience to get there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.