New Heat System causes memory leak

Just ran into this myself, (even though I run a modded install)

[Orbit Targeter]: Target is null

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

tlsf_create: Pool size must be between 3208 and 1073745020 bytes.
Crash!!!

Have yet to try with temp gagues off, but in my case, (and others that I've read) it appears it's not the temp going up that causes the leak, but rather it appears (to me, at least) to be the parts cooling off (or the game code attempting it) while in atmosphere that triggers it. The same spaceplane that is suffering the issue made it to orbit with engines heated to the same level or more as the wings on the way down, and the engines completely cooled in orbit. The wings heat up on reentry, and then when I get about 10km altitude (10.5km to be more exact, around which the atmosphere changes in some significant way) I suddenly get CTD'd.

Am about to attempt the F-10 workaround. F-10 workaround seems good. Successful landing on second attempt (found out I was also running very close to max RAM consumption... as I had a RAM-crash on my first attempt). Did some part pruning and managed a successful landing on second attempt. Jeb is back at KSP, and all is right with the wor... JEB. Get off of that booster, that's meant for a thirty ton payload. No, not in a minute... Aw heck, here we go again...

Edited by VaporTrail

Thank u op!

This has driven me mad. Twice I have been doing low altitude flights to north pole (cos u know, rockets are too mainstream) and after 40 minutes it would crash! 250ms @10-12km causing 2 landing gear to get warm. At least now I know the cause

write the following line in Steam's launch options (all attached, lower case):

-force-opengl

It will run KSP in opengl mode. If you don't have Steam, I figure you could write that in KSP's shortcut...

Method is not mine, don't know who found it. But I sure as hell thank this person.

You'll experience minor graphical glitches, slightly lower fps performance but that's nothing compared to the impressive improvement for memory usage. From 2.8Gb right after loading my saved game (!!!), I dropped to 1.8Gb only and can now play for a long time.

You'll loose antialiasing though. Reactivate it through nvidia control panel by overriding the application's setting. If you run on ATI, sorry can't help you :\ I play on nvidia only.

write the following line in Steam's launch options (all attached, lower case):

-force-opengl

It will run KSP in opengl mode. If you don't have Steam, I figure you could write that in KSP's shortcut...

Method is not mine, don't know who found it. But I sure as hell thank this person.

You'll experience minor graphical glitches, slightly lower fps performance but that's nothing compared to the impressive improvement for memory usage. From 2.8Gb right after loading my saved game (!!!), I dropped to 1.8Gb only and can now play for a long time.

You'll loose antialiasing though. Reactivate it through nvidia control panel by overriding the application's setting. If you run on ATI, sorry can't help you :\ I play on nvidia only.

That is not a fix, is already well known of, and causes more problems than it fixes. Besides all of that, it won't help at all anyway because the memory leak is exponential, even if KSP is using less memory to begin with when the leak makes it reach 3.6 it will still crash, using open-gl will break half your game and maybe keep it from crashing for an extra 30 seconds.

Edited by raidernick

Wow, then I apologize for trying to help and swear I won't dare contributing again if there is the slightest risk of not bringing miracle solutions O_o

Regardless.

Of course it's not a fix: it's an acceptable workaround as far as I know. Worked like a charm in my case. I used to CTD every 5 minutes, no joke, now I can play 2 hours straight before crashing. I can handle the few glitches, like the move and rotate gizmos in the VAB & SPH that don't properly show up. That's quite minor compared to repeated CTD. It made the game turn from "unplayable and enraging" to "playable and fun".

Until now I haven't experienced anything close to breaking half the game as you said: are there any critical issues brought by opengl?

• 2 weeks later...
That is not a fix, is already well known of, and causes more problems than it fixes. Besides all of that, it won't help at all anyway because the memory leak is exponential, even if KSP is using less memory to begin with when the leak makes it reach 3.6 it will still crash, using open-gl will break half your game and maybe keep it from crashing for an extra 30 seconds.
Can you prove this statement? especially the "it will breake half your game"?

Yeah, how does it break your game (besides a few minor graphical glitches). In fact, I use a lot of mods and KSP hits the 3.5 level by the time it finishes starting up without -force-opengl, with it, it reins in the memory usage, somehow, and the few minor graphical glitches are worth being able to play with lots of mods.

Also, there is something wierd going on with the temperature overlay, it seems to get stuck on parts and makes parts give a colored glow. I bet theres maybe a memory leak there.

Edited by smjjames

I dont get it? I have the gauges on with no problems at all? I dont use opengl either? I run ksp on 2 machines:

My laptop:

i3 processor

8GB RAM

Intel HD intergrated graphics

My PC:

DUAL CORE 3GHZ processor

3GB RAM

ATI HD6670 graphics card

I dont understand how many people are getting these crashes. I use a few mods (off the top of my head):

Mechjeb

Hot rockets

EVE

KER

Docking Alignment

Chatterer

....and possibly a few more I cant remember right now.

I run in full graphic settings on both machines (my laptop does get a little warm admittedly, my PC is always fine) however I can play for 10 hours straight if I like without one crash, even with the temperature gauges on.

Am I just lucky?

EDIT: Just saw this was an unmodded thread.....if this makes a difference please tell me, however id expect more RAM usage would be more of a problem. It just works fine for me on my weak machines?

Edited by maceemiller

It's not the gauges, it never was, it's the PPFX edge highlighter from the Unity3D asset store.

That shader only works when the Unity/KSP built-in anti-aliasing is enabled, if it's off so will PPFX, and you won't have the memory leak.

It's not the gauges, it never was, it's the PPFX edge highlighter from the Unity3D asset store.

That shader only works when the Unity/KSP built-in anti-aliasing is enabled, if it's off so will PPFX, and you won't have the memory leak.

Thanks sal_vager! I also read your post here explaining what it is: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103163-edge-highlighting-ppfx?p=1603268&viewfull=1#post1603268

PPFX edge highlighter enables the the highlighting (the red glow) of the parts itself.

Uh, I don't have PPFX enabled because no hardware support for some reason and yet I still see the red (sometimes orange to yellow) glow.

I do have -force-opengl though, and anti-aliasing is set to off, and I'm still having some sort of memory leak going on.

There's two glows, the PPFX edge glow which looks like this and the Squad part glow that covers the whole part.

PPFX needs the built-in Unity anti-aliasing enabled to function, even if it's overridden by your driver AA.

-force-opengl has been a bit weird since 1.0, and doesn't work for everyone, it's a Unity engine command line switch so if it's broke there's nothing we can do to fix it.

KSP still uses a lot of RAM for the pqs terrain stuff, so check your ram is levelling off, and not just continually climbing, if it's climbing all the time it's a leak.

The temp gauges still seem to cause a memory leak, or something is anyway, I'm still getting huge jumps in memory usage that don't decrease when around hot places like Moho or when using hot engines.

I'd like SQUAD to fix the memory leak that is there so that we can see what OTHER memory leaks there are.

Honestly, I think they should devote one patch/dev cycle to just fixing memory leaks.

I have had 2-3 major crashes after many hours of getting to Duna and back and then at the end of re-entry I get the dreaded "KSP.exe has stopped" or something like that. I guess the temperature gauge thing is causing this. If it is this well known, why no fix, other than having to remember to disable temperature gauges (F10)?

meters seems to make bonkers.

Stock install: 4/4 reproduced crashes from same save-game when re-entering atmosphere with 15-20 parts overheating.

Same save-game, but with disabled meters: 1/1 success.

27 inch Retina, late 2014. no steam.

My lightly modded games, several configurations of it, keep crashing. I've heard there was a memory leak relating to temperature gauges which Squad are meant to patch in 1.0.3. I also heard there was a way to disable them.

So this is my main question:

How do I prevent the memory leak?

Are my 5 or so mods really crashing my game?

Turn off PPFX in the graphical settings and press F10 to turn off the heat gauges and most crashing problems go away.

Five mods could be causing out of memory issues, depends on what they are. What's on your list?

Edit for below: None of those are huge memory hogs, you should be fine.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Turn off PPFX in the graphical settings and press F10 to turn off the heat gauges and most crashing problems go away.

Five mods could be causing out of memory issues, depends on what they are. What's on your list?

Chatterer, SmartParts, Stage recovery, Mechjeb2, Kas and KIS. I'll try your advice. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.