Has anyone else not bothered with career mode?

J2750

I only played one long career session when it was in EA, ~200 hours, but left the game alone to wait for final release. I really like the idea of gradually unlocking, and getting by with what you currently have. Tried out full release KSP just now, started a new career. I thought whatever the pre-beta version I played was stingy with what you start out with and the rate at which things progress, but this .. It is unplayable.

After getting a bunch of 'send report from this location on kerbin' contracts, I made a small plane with a sci jr. module and room for a scientist, to fly around and grind out some extra points. I don't have access to lights, so flying in the dark is kinda sketchy. Now since batteries and solar panels is something I have not unlocked yet, in order to transmit my results I have to put on the brakes and run the jet engine at max for a good while to generate enough power to get the transmission off. I am doing commercial space travel, taking tourists into orbit, but have yet to invent lights and batteries? Is this sounding stupid yet? I've seen tips like 'make science vessels', 'make drones', but in order to get the farm running, I'll need batteries and solar panels, for which I need science points in the triple digits to unlock while contracts and research around kerbin gives me returns in the single digits. This is with the 'turn cash into science' strat on max ..

I hear you can open some cfg files and switch some things around, which is what I will do. Still, how is this for new players wanting to check out the now finished game? Structured progression or wall of boredom? "Game starts at +20 hours?"

If you're an experienced player, Career mode is no limitation, and in 1.0 the variety of contracts is good (though I'll install a contracts mod before I restart). Only about ¼ of my missions are contracted ones.

I tried Career when it first came out and didn't like it - seemed too grindy. Now I love it. I also like the revised tech tree - limitation is good for creativity.

My only concern is wondering how difficult it must be for new players.

I only played one long career session when it was in EA, ~200 hours, but left the game alone to wait for final release. I really like the idea of gradually unlocking, and getting by with what you currently have. Tried out full release KSP just now, started a new career. I thought whatever the pre-beta version I played was stingy with what you start out with and the rate at which things progress, but this .. It is unplayable.

After getting a bunch of 'send report from this location on kerbin' contracts, I made a small plane with a sci jr. module and room for a scientist, to fly around and grind out some extra points. I don't have access to lights, so flying in the dark is kinda sketchy. Now since batteries and solar panels is something I have not unlocked yet, in order to transmit my results I have to put on the brakes and run the jet engine at max for a good while to generate enough power to get the transmission off. I am doing commercial space travel, taking tourists into orbit, but have yet to invent lights and batteries? Is this sounding stupid yet? I've seen tips like 'make science vessels', 'make drones', but in order to get the farm running, I'll need batteries and solar panels, for which I need science points in the triple digits to unlock while contracts and research around kerbin gives me returns in the single digits. This is with the 'turn cash into science' strat on max ..

I hear you can open some cfg files and switch some things around, which is what I will do. Still, how is this for new players wanting to check out the now finished game? Structured progression or wall of boredom? "Game starts at +20 hours?"

I remember trying to do those things with rockets in my first career :)

Really, I think pursuing those too early will result in just what you've experienced - frustration. The contracts tend to lead the new player away from space flight too soon, in my humble opinion. There's a ton of science to be gained by even suborbital launches. You can get data from "flight", "upper atmosphere", "near space", and where ever you happen to land, but there's no real incentive (though the world record firsts are a nice change) for a new player to do this. Until of course he or she seemingly runs out of science options and gets stuck, then either comes here to ask... or quits.

And to answer the actual OP, I'm the opposite. I find sandbox to be entirely unrewarding. Somehow, without restrictions imposed on me, I don't feel like I've overcome anything. The engineering itself is no longer an issue.

I'm not knocking those who enjoy it or arguing for the rightness of my thuum opinion, so don't take it that way please.

for which I need science points in the triple digits to unlock while contracts and research around kerbin gives me returns in the single digits.

I fell prey to the same fallacy: first explore Kerbin... (*buzz sound*) Wrong! Science-wise, Kerbin is relatively worthless. Set your sights higher. Going to the Mun doesn't mean that you have to land: just do an orbital mission. When you see how much easy science was up there while you've been turning every stone down on Kerbin, you will weep.

In principle, a thorough exploration of the Mun can unlock nearly the entire tech tree. My personal recommandation is to not overdo it; when it gets boring, just stop. You can handsomely go to Duna & Ike on 2.5m parts.

For myself. I enjoy career box more then sandbox. For the simple reason. I know I can get anything in orbit with unlimited funds and parts. What I like about KSP 1.0.2 is:

Tourist Contracts for every situation; at least what I have seen so far, Need to leave Kerbin's SOI still.

Rescue Kerbal missions can now happen at space high above Kerbin as well as around Mün and Minmus and even a rescue mission for a Kerbal stranded upon Mün. First one I have seen like that. I'll take a picture to see what craft he has.

@aktivb: I do agree with you a lot. But, Kerbin has or never should have been about getting a lot of science. Should be seen as a way to get your rep and maybe even your funds back up if you had a major science brake through where you Kerbals gave their lives up for much science and lower Rep. Also you don't have to transmite your science back at all. You capsule can store one of each type of science till you can recover your craft. Assuming you can live with a scientist for a pilot. They be the only ones who can reset the bays.

I clocked about 1000 hours before career arrived. After it did I tried getting into it, but I never even once finished the tech tree. Each time I started a new game I ended up abandoning the game quicker and quicker.

I want to give 1.0*cough* a fair chance so I started a proper game on moderate and I'm making my way through it. It's still not nearly as fun as I remember KSP being in sandbox.

The incoherent implementation of career ruined this game IMO.

Before 1.0 I put quite a few hours into it but I don't think I'm going to bother too much now. I just don't find it very fun.

I love the idea of random missions with limitations, but I find the science grind to unlock the tech tree neither fun nor realistic. I'd much rather the tech tree was unlocked with money gained from various sources, or perhaps have a mode where the entire tech tree is unlocked but the missions have to be performed under a certain cost. Just something where there'd still be the challenge of random missions but without having to constantly compromise my designs by carting along science experiments with every launch.

I like the idea of working with a budget, but the way contracts pushes you into a certain direction that seriously limits your own personal goal (whatever that may be) is terrible. I have been playing with the "science funding" mod and I am having a lot more fun in career now. I don't have to endlessly grind contracts anymore, but I can still pick up the interesting ones and make the rest of my money from science. It has s huge effect on the game play and brings back that sandboxy feeling to the game. IMO this should be build in to stock. Way more fun than just contracts.

I like playing career, and have done since it was introduced. There's the strategic element of choosing which contracts to accept (especially at the start when you're limited) I like the challenge of having only a limited selection of parts to begin with, and again the strategy of which science nodes to unlock when. In sandbox it's far too easy to build a giant mega-launcher that can go anywhere, whereas with career you have a greater element of realism.

One thing I've never bothered with is any of the strategies. Early in the career, you don't have enough of either science, funds or reputation to trade one off against another. Later, you have plenty to go around and none of them are really worth bothering with. The only time they're useful is when you've completed the tech tree and you can trade 100% of your science for funds.

The problem with career mode is that it often firces you to build bizzare and unrealistic crafts to perform bizzare and unrealistic missions to meet bizzare and unrealistic requirements. Real space programs don't earn money from their own missions, they get money from the government and lose it on their own missions.
I fell prey to the same fallacy: first explore Kerbin... (*buzz sound*) Wrong! Science-wise, Kerbin is relatively worthless. Set your sights higher. Going to the Mun doesn't mean that you have to land: just do an orbital mission. When you see how much easy science was up there while you've been turning every stone down on Kerbin, you will weep.

In principle, a thorough exploration of the Mun can unlock nearly the entire tech tree. My personal recommandation is to not overdo it; when it gets boring, just stop. You can handsomely go to Duna & Ike on 2.5m parts.

Yes. When I was new, I spent a lot of time in my early career mode play (0.25, I think?) biome hopping on Kerbin and getting all the science there I could. What a waste of time. Even with really basic parts, it's not hard to do a Munshot, a simple flyby - hell, you don't even need orbit, just enter it's SOI and grab science. A low-altitude orbit with a Kerbal popping EVA reports over each biome gains hundreds of science, and requires practically no tech. Minimus after, and you're well into the 300-cost science tech. I never even bother with Kerbin science anymore, not at all.

I'm a big fan of Career mode, but in an odd sort of way. I love contracts, see, but I detest having contracts be my only source of income. I'd love to see government funding based on reputation, with Contracts as extra income and the KSP version of Quests. Contracts are an excellent source of "What should I do next?" and the Career mode progression sets limits on your play which (in my personal opinion) makes gameplay so much more exicting.

For example, I just had "Explore Gilly" come up. I take that, then decline a few random contracts until I get more Eve related ones... Then, with a set of Eve/Gilly based goals, I set about designing as cost-efficient and multi-purpose a mission as possible to achieve the various contract goals plus any others I can cram in there.

Trying to achieve a multitude of goals in a single, cost effective and efficient mission makes the game a world more fun for me. I find in Science/Sandbox mode, it's too easy to just throw parts at a problem with no limits, and that's fun for a while but (for me! YMMV!) it doesn't hold my attention long enough.

I've found 1.x's Career to work a lot better for me than the previous ones, as the more varied contracts allow for more interesting complex missions.

Doing this - these multi-purpose efficient missions - has totally removed grinding from career for me. I don't ever do missions I don't want to do, and instead just work them into things I do want to do.

A key point is that you don't have to do missions you don't want to. There's no penalty to declining contracts in the list that you haven't accepted - you can just freely decline them and have new ones appear immediately.

- - - Updated - - -

For myself. I enjoy career box more then sandbox. For the simple reason. I know I can get anything in orbit with unlimited funds and parts. What I like about KSP 1.0.2 is:

Tourist Contracts for every situation; at least what I have seen so far, Need to leave Kerbin's SOI still.

Rescue Kerbal missions can now happen at space high above Kerbin as well as around Mün and Minmus and even a rescue mission for a Kerbal stranded upon Mün. First one I have seen like that. I'll take a picture to see what craft he has.

@aktivb: I do agree with you a lot. But, Kerbin has or never should have been about getting a lot of science. Should be seen as a way to get your rep and maybe even your funds back up if you had a major science brake through where you Kerbals gave their lives up for much science and lower Rep. Also you don't have to transmite your science back at all. You capsule can store one of each type of science till you can recover your craft. Assuming you can live with a scientist for a pilot. They be the only ones who can reset the bays.

What's really fun is later you get rescue missions that include not only the Kerbal, but also his/her ship (or the remains of it). It's pretty easy on Minimus with a creative ship design (lifting a couple tons off Minimus isn't a huge deal) even at pretty low tech, but it gets a lot harder on other bodies.

Only played in the sandbox... I enjoy tinkering and setting my own 'challenges', another reason why I settled on RSS.. it's a real mission just to go to the moon, never mind elsewhere.

This way I'm not restricted by someone else's idea of 'reality'.

I think many long time players are not that interested in career mode, I know it doesn't do much for me. Before career mode was implemented, we all had to set our own goals and objectives. Now that some objectives are given to us, they feel a bit hollow and not overly interesting. For me, career mode just makes me do a bunch of missions I'm not all that interested in to get the science and funds to do the ones I am interested in; I just roleplay that I've flown those missions and do the interesting mission in sandbox. My play time is finite so I'd rather spend it on the missions I want to do.

That said, career mode is great for those who want a little more structure to the game, or aren't experienced enough yet to set their own goals.

This. This is what I feel.

Well ever since career was put into the game that has been the main game mode sandbox is bleh I can get anything to anywhere in the kerbol system and beyond(outer planets mod) with unlimited funds and such so why would I waste my time playing that?

I think the career mode is a lot better now. It doesn't feel like I'm grinding, attempting to get into space with just SRBs because all the science around me was exhausted, and I had neither the technology for proper airplanes, or rockets was fun. Although I have no idea how long this'll last, because last time I tried the career mode, I eventually cheated in all the money and science I could ever need because I got bored. But, from the limited experience I have, it's way better.

Edited by Marlowe345

As in, first time I tried the career mode, it felt like I wasn't progressing at all. I was still doing the same mission over and over again. Maybe I just got good mission drops, advancing quickly enough not to feel like I'm not going anywhere in 1.0

As in, first time I tried the career mode, it felt like I wasn't progressing at all. I was still doing the same mission over and over again. Maybe I just got good mission drops, advancing quickly enough not to feel like I'm not going anywhere in 1.0

career mode is basically:

-Do enough suborbital launches to get enough science to get better parts

-Do enough orbital launches to get enough science to get better parts

-Do a Mun/Minmus flyby to get enough science to get better parts

-Do enough Mun/Minmus landings to get enough science to get everything else

-Actually do what you want.

At least for me that's how it goes.

Cheating in career mode is basically turning it into sandbox mode. Why would you want to play career mode when you really want to play sandbox mode? I don't get you people.

Cheating in career mode is basically turning it into sandbox mode. Why would you want to play career mode when you really want to play sandbox mode? I don't get you people.

The only I'd consider cheating in career (as in editing the saves) is when I made a serious booboo, and I know exactly what I did and why I shouldn't have ;)

Otherwise I agree, cheating in career is kind of stoopid.

I play career but I agree that it's not very interesting as of now. I could be improved by adding more easter eggs, caves or other unique locations and missions to go explore them.

For example: "Build a manned outpost near the Vallhenge and take samples from its vicinity." which could then lead to a consecutive chain of missions.

If I had a free choice of game mechanics. I'd go science mode but with the Kerbal skill development added.

Would be the dream combination for me.

Technically you can do this. Set the funds rewarding to a 1000% in a new career game so money isn't an issue anymore. You only have to pick up a few very basic contracts to get a ridiculous amount of money for stuff you would do anyway to unlock the science tree. Now you're playing "science mode", but with Kerbal skills.

I've got three careers going. I love the early stages, getting milestones above Kerbin and getting to the Mun for the first time. Then it starts giving me missions outside Kerbin and I realise its just the same missions all over again except now they take longer as you have to travel interplanetary. By that time I'm bored with the grind and want to go back to the crazy .... I do in sandbox.

It's a fantastic idea but in dire need of something to spice up the mid-late game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.