[1.4.x - 1.7.x] Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science Mods (NEOS - Micha's build) (0.8.1)

micha

Nehemiah Engineering Orbital Science

Development Thread

This is Micha's development thread for the Nehemiah Engineering Orbital Science mod collection originally by @N3h3mia.  This thread will continue until such a time as Nehemiah is able to resume work on his mods.

Please use this thread to discuss ongoing development, raising bugs, and testing pre-releases. The release thread is probably better to discuss the current stable release and general gameplay questions. I hugely appreciate people testing these builds and posting any bugs, feature requests, balance suggestions, or contributions in this thread.

The pre-release builds are only available via Github.

Releases on GitHub (KSP1.7)

Link to last KSP1.2.x Version

Resources

Version History

From 0.7b3 onwards, only major changes are listed here.

For a more detailed set of changes, please see the Changelog on Github.

Spoiler
    • Recompiled with KSP 1.7.2 (but should still be compatible with KSP 1.4.x).
    • Fixed calculation of experiment times for several experiments
    • Fixed calculation of alarm times for KAC
    • KAC alarms should now be saved/restored
    • Disabled "Reset" button of the Experiment Result Dialog for all experiment types.
    • Add bulkhead profiles to all parts (compatible with @taniwha's Custom Bulkhead Profiles mod).
    • Removed Kemini from "Making History" Onion and Pea pods as it apparently causes them to fall off their mounting.
    • Tweaks and fixes to some descriptions (could do with more localisation, hint hint!)
    • Fixed IVA sounds continuing to play even when leaving the IVA.
    • MEP experiment is now retracted on pause.
    • Recompiled with KSP 1.5.1 (but should still be compatible with KSP 1.4.x).
    • Added experiment times in the VAB.
    • Kemini now supports Making History pods.
    • Many bug fixes.
    • Recompile for KSP1.4.3
    • Updated ModuleManager
    • Added Kerbal Alarm Clock integration - an alarm is created when a new experiment is started.
    • Hotfix for 0.7 - fix experiment return for KEES contracts
    • New models for KEES PC and PEC.
    • MiniAVC and ModuleManager now shipped in release packages.
  • 0.7b3
    • NOTE: This release changes the save-file format.
    • Add KSPedia entries
    • Recompile for KSP 1.3.1
    • Mod Release layout change
    • Can now create new Kemini experiments by editing configuration files
    • Can now create new KEES experiments by editing configuration files
  • 0.7b2
    • GENERAL
      • Additional fixes and tweaks to localisation
      • Add spanish translation (Thanks to @fitiales)
    • KEES
      • Fix POSA II description
    • KEMINI
      • Added support for "Bluedog Gemini" capsule (Thanks to @CobaltWolf)
      • Added support for "Brumby" pod and backseat (Thanks to @Sudragon)
  • 0.7b1
    • GENERAL
      • Tweaks to ESC3 pod - improved stability during re-entry and stop heatshield clipping through model
      • Various small tweaks and additions to localisation
    • KEES
      • Fix title swap of PC and PEC in english translation
  • 0.7a0-mw9
    • GENERAL
      • New GUI screens - no more click-through!
      • Moving OMS/KLS experiments now behaves like stock crew transfer
        • TODO: make installing experiments behave in the same way
      • Localisation support - almost everything should be localised now
        • You can help by localising into your language
    • KEES
      • Fix experiment return for KEES contracts
  • 0.7a0-mw8
    • Recompiled for KSP1.3.0.1804
    • GENERAL
      • Bump and sanitise version numbers (build number is now unified across all components)
      • Fix version files to work with (mini)AVC
      • Performance improvements
      • Adjust some part categories
      • Increase crash tolerance of containers slightly
      • Made a start on localisation support
    • KEES/KEMINI
      • Fix contract generation
        • Restrict contracts from spawning until a kerballed landing from orbit has been achieved
        • Enable experimental parts for contracts
      • Disable KEES debug menu in release builds
  • 0.7a0-mw7
    • Recompiled for KSP1.2.0.1586 (release build of KSP1.2)
    • GENERAL:
      • Tweaks to ESC3 - added body lift and increased crash tolerance
    • KEMINI:
      • Added MM config for Corvus pod
      • Increase electricity usage while running experiments
    • KEES:
      • Restrict maximum number of contracts to 2 to avoid spamming the contract system
  • 0.7a0-mw7-KSP120_pre
  • Recompile for KSP1.2 (build 1564)
  • GENERAL:
    • Fix for Extraplanetary Launchpads
    • Various fixes and tweaks required for KSP1.2
    • Fix to only allow purchased parts when part-purchasing is enabled
    • Fix adjusting weight & cost of container parts when equipment and experiments are added to the containers
    • Add some extra tags to parts (KLS, OMS, NEOS - use to filter parts in VAB)
    • Make save-file-parsing more robust
  • OMS:
    • Add ModuleDataTransmitter to ESC3 automated pod
  • KEMINI:
    • contracts can now mark required parts/experiments as "experimental"
  • 0.7a0-mw6
    • Merge in @Kerbas_ad_astra's fixes for empty experiment names
    • Recompile for KSP 1.1.1
  • 0.7a0-mw5
    • Recompile and fix up for KSP 1.1-pre
  • 0.7a0-mw4
    • Recompile for KSP 1.04
    • Minor tweak when recovering KEES experiments which may or may not be required to successfully trigger completion of KEES contracts.
  • 0.7a0-mw3
    • Fix KEES contract completion when recovering experiments
    • Remove KIS "carry" flag from KEES items; instead bump up their size so only 1 can be in a Kerbal inventory at a time, and only 2 can be stored in the KEES PEC.
    • Fix UniversalStorage wedge to reference US's KIS wedge instead of the no-longer existing KAS wedge
  • 0.7a0-mw2
    • Convert textures to DDS
    • Move KEES Payload Carrier to "Basic Science" node
  • 0.7a0-mw1
    • Recompiled using KSP v1.0.2 and KIS 1.1 (minor API fixes to replace deprecated functions)
    • Converted KEES experiments from KAS to KIS
    • Adjusted heat of parts to match stock values
    • Fixed a couple of attachment nodes

Edited by micha
Updated changelist to 0.8.1

Thanks for this.. downloaded and installed.

The ESC1 and 2 appears in the same node on the tech tree, both at 180 science under advanced exploration.

From memory the esc 1 was a lot lower.

@rockowwc: I did not change the TechRequired for the ESC1 so afaik it was always supposed to be in the same node as the ESC2. However, feel free to suggest changes; specifically, which node do you think the ESC1 should be in now? But I don't think there's not much point having the ESC1 in an earlier tech-node unless the Experiments and Labs are also available earlier.

You get the carrier plate and 2 experiments in the basic science node and the next 2 in the exploration node in the next level. But there is another level between them and the container..

The carrier plate and initial experiments in Basic Science are for KEES (Kerbal Environmental Effects Studies). KEES uses KIS (previously KAS), so just standard KIS containers are used to transport these parts. The ESC(x) parts cannot carry KEES experiments.

The ESC(x) parts carry the station experiments for KLS (Kerbal Life Sciences) and OMS (Orbital Material Sciences), which don't unlock until much later as they require the station lab modules as well.

KEES is an early and low-tech version of the later MEP-825 Material Exposure Platform and its experiments.

One thing I _did_ just find though is that the KEES Payload Carrier is now not unlocked until MUCH later - Science Tech (300). I'll move that into Basic Science, but possibly it'll be deprecated since there are standard KIS containers available.

hey micha can you please put a link to directly download the releases? the only thing i see is the link to git repository and that would force me to download the whole repository just to get the mod

hey micha can you please put a link to directly download the releases? the only thing i see is the link to git repository and that would force me to download the whole repository just to get the mod

Hi Jiraiyah,

Thanks, I stuffed up the links when I made the second release; they should work properly now. In either case, if you click on the "Releases" link on Github it will take you to the releases page which contains the download links for the release zip files.

You can either download the individual mods, or the Science pack (recommended) which contains all the mods in one download.

Hi Jiraiyah,

Thanks, I stuffed up the links when I made the second release; they should work properly now. In either case, if you click on the "Releases" link on Github it will take you to the releases page which contains the download links for the release zip files.

You can either download the individual mods, or the Science pack (recommended) which contains all the mods in one download.

Thanks

Hi Svm420; I can't duplicate (presumably others haven't seen this either?). Can you please check to ensure there isn't another copy of Nehemia's mods somewhere in your GameData?

Also, did you install the mods individually, or did you use the Science Pack?

For other readers, the following is only for Linux users:

I don't know if it's still required with 1.0.x, but do you ensure LANG=C when starting KSP? KSP (used to) sometimes lock up on launch or otherwise exhibit weird behaviour when not having the locale set to C.

My Steam launch options are:

LANG=C %command%_64
Edited by micha
Clarified LANG

Hi Svm420; I can't duplicate (presumably others haven't seen this either?). Can you please check to ensure there isn't another copy of Nehemia's mods somewhere in your GameData?

Also, did you install the mods individually, or did you use the Science Pack?

For other readers, the following is only for Linux users:

I don't know if it's still required with 1.0.x, but do you ensure LANG=C when starting KSP? KSP (used to) sometimes lock up on launch or otherwise exhibit weird behaviour when not having the locale set to C.

My Steam launch options are:

I am not sure, but I think the issue was some duplicate science definitions from a duplicated cfg unrelated to this mod. Sorry for wasting any time. I do appreciate the response though. Thanks for updating this wonderful mod.

micha,

When i mount the carrier plate with kis it seems to work, but its not really attached and after mounting the experiment and fast forwarding the plate drifts away from the craft. Any Ideas?

rocko.

So, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to transfer the science from the experiment to the capsule so I can get the science for it... It is driving me insane. It's the only science part that I can't get to do it. So I take the parts up in the container, attatch on EVA, and run the experiment. But when I go to grab the science, it doesn't even give me an option to "collect data" or whatever. I just have to store it, and deal with it getting incinerated on re-entry or transmit the data for 20% of the science earned. Which at that point isn't worth it. I tend to go with a more realistic approach to my career modes, so I'm not returning to Kerbin with the experiments. Just the science... So until I can "take data", or whatever, this mod is basically useless to me...

- - - Updated - - -

micha,

When i mount the carrier plate with kis it seems to work, but its not really attached and after mounting the experiment and fast forwarding the plate drifts away from the craft. Any Ideas?

rocko.

You're not attaching it. You have KIS, right? You need an engineer on EVA, with an electric screwdriver equipped, and then hold X as you place it. Watch the video on the KIS forum post...

Micha,

Thanks for updating this mod. Gave you a Forum Rep point as well.

When KIS was first released, I modded this mod for my personal use to use KIS. To stay in keeping with the original, I changed the KEES Payload Carrier (KIS Container) to limit the volume and slots to a Carrier and an Experiment. That is:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleKISInventory

maxVolume = 220

slotsX = 1

slotsY = 2

}

You may wish to do likewise in your next release.

So, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to transfer the science from the experiment to the capsule so I can get the science for it...

Nehemia designed these mods so that you have to return the actual experiments. For KEES you have to analyse the exposed samples in a lab, so perhaps a suggestion to Nehemia is to be able to process them in a lab module (for partial science, say 80%) instead of having to return them to Kerbin.

I'm limiting myself here with just making it work for 1.0x, and not making any functional/design changes until/unless Nehemia abandons these mods (he hasn't; he's just away temporarily).

You should be able to return the samples though if you perform an easy re-entry and have a heatshield. Perhaps the KEES Payload Carrier will need to have its temperature raised slightly if people are having trouble with this.

The other thing is if the KIS definition for the experiments is changed, they could be stored in a capsule seat instead; I'm undecided about this as they are quite large, and in KAS you could only carry one at a time, but you can easily make this change yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Micha,

When KIS was first released, I modded this mod for my personal use to use KIS.

Cool! Do you have your version on Github? I'd like to see how you fixed it and how you decided to configure everything.

Also, I did initially think about limiting the KEES Payload Carrier KIS definition to match the original KAS definition, but then I thought that:

1) it would make it a very large KIS container with very limited storage compared the others. Until/unless a KIS container can be limited to a type of item, that didn't make sense to me from a KIS perspective.

2) It makes the point of needing a carrier and separate experiments a bit pointless, if you can only carry a single experiment anyway. But again, this is a balance issue and I'm certainly happy to consider improvement suggestions. Eventually Nehemia will decide anyway.

One other way it might work better is by overriding the size of the KEES items and make them larger than what KIS calculates. That way the KIS container can stay large, but still only fit 2 KEES items.

Thanks for the help, I managed to get the carrier attached and mount and run the experiment (teaches me to RTFM next time).

Loaded a quicksave and it worked this tme... sigh..

Rocko

Edited by rockowwc

Is anyone else having problems with contracts? I get the 'Do POSA I in Kerbal orbit', i launch, attach parts, do experiment, return parts to storage and deorbit and land. I get the science but the contract line 'return and recover experiment at kerbin' is still incomplete.

Any ideas?

Hi Sudragon, it's possible that the contract-completion logic relied on KAS. I'll take a look at the code tonight and see if it needs tweaking to work with KIS containers.

Ok, it's definitely to do with KIS containers while trying to verify the experiments on recovery. I did make some changes to the code, but couldn't get it to work yet; bear with me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.