[1.4.x - 1.7.x] Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science Mods (NEOS - Micha's build) (0.8.1)

micha

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, baldamundo said:

Have you thought about tweaking things somehow so you can use the Kemini experiments in pods other than the Mk1?

//---------------------------------- MOLE Brumby & Backseat ------------------------
@PART[WBI_Brumby|WBI_Backseat2] 
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = Kemini_Module

abbreviation = Gemini Science experiment
		minimumCrew = 1

NE_KEMINI_LabEquipmentSlot
		{
			NE_LabEquipmentSlot
			{
				type = KEMINI
			}
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ExperimentStorage
		identifier = Kemini 1
		chanceTexture = false
		type = KEMINI
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ExperimentStorage
		identifier = Kemini 2
		chanceTexture = false
		type = KEMINI
	}
}

Copy that, insert the capsule names in the @PART[ ] line, save it as a .cfg file in \Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NehemiahInc\Kemini and Bob's your engineer.

8 hours ago, baldamundo said:

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Is there a way to do this so it's just applied to all command pods blanket?

you'd need a way to filter out the probe cores from the manned command pods.

• 1 month later...

How do you install equipment into a lab? I've got my Kolumbus lab docked to my station, I have docked another ship which has carried the MSG equipment, but i never see the options "install equipment". I've tried with a scientist in the lab as well, no luck.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

You cannot equip ebery equipment with every lab. For the MPL600 "Kolumbus" you can only use Microgravity Science Glovebox (MSG): for experiments CCF (Capillary Channel Flow Experiment) and CFE (Capillary Flow Experiment).

For other Experiments you must use the MSL1000 or the MEP825.

On 20/07/2016 at 11:18 PM, sadhfg said:

In the config patches for EPL, the ProductivityFactor arguments are misspelled as productivityFactor, resulting in all the labs having a productivity of 1 instead of 0.6.

Thanks; pushed the fix but will hold off on a new release until KSP 1.2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2016 at 0:02 PM, micha said:

Thanks; pushed the fix but will hold off on a new release until KSP 1.2

Thanks very much for recompiling and maintaining N3h3mia's Science Mods.  I'm new to KSP, and wouldn't have had a chance to play them without your efforts.

In the course of stabilizing my mod list, I've noticed that the null experiment ID issue identified and patched by Kerbas_ad_astra (0.7a0-mw6) seems to affect several other mods, specifically, mods that depend on traversing the set of available experiments.

The ones I've seen affected are [x]Science!, KEI, and All Y'all, but I expect it would apply to any such mod that isn't written to tolerate null experiment IDs.  When triggered (UI) they throw a log error identical to the one in Kerbas_ad_astra's post, and the mod does nothing.  My guess is they start their traversal, hit the first null, then bail.

Interestingly, L-Tech Scientific Industries Continued generates the same set of symptoms as this mod.  Do you happen to know if the two share the same approach to pluggable station experiments, under the hood?  It would explain a lot.

You recently mentioned plans for a KSP 1.2 update, so I'm posting in the hope this information might be useful.

9 hours ago, Foozle said:

Thanks very much for recompiling and maintaining N3h3mia's Science Mods.  I'm new to KSP, and wouldn't have had a chance to play them without your efforts.

:) Glad to see some people still using this mod collection; personally I love it which is why I'm maintaining it for now but it's always nice to hear of others using it too!

Interestingly, L-Tech Scientific Industries Continued generates the same set of symptoms as this mod.  Do you happen to know if the two share the same approach to pluggable station experiments, under the hood?  It would explain a lot.

Sorry, no idea; haven't looked at the L-Tech code (or the other mods you mentioned, for that matter).

You recently mentioned plans for a KSP 1.2 update, so I'm posting in the hope this information might be useful.

Thanks!  I've got OMS running for 1.2, but need to wait on ModuleManager and KIS to be updated before I can make a release.

In the meantime, any further bug reports or feature requests would be good. Also if people have suggestions for balancing reward / effort for this mod so it's not too overpowered.  Whenever a science mod is added it makes the game easier as more science becomes available to the base game.

In this release I'm hoping to fix a few more things (such as ensuring purchasable parts are respected instead of just going on techlevel).

11 hours ago, Foozle said:

The ones I've seen affected are [x]Science!, KEI, and All Y'all, but I expect it would apply to any such mod that isn't written to tolerate null experiment IDs.  When triggered (UI) they throw a log error identical to the one in Kerbas_ad_astra's post, and the mod does nothing.  My guess is they start their traversal, hit the first null, then bail.

I think it's mainly a stock method (to get an experiment that matches a given ID) that doesn't like empty experimentIDs (arguably a "bug" in that it's better practice to validate incoming data "just in case"), so mods need to insulate their calls to those methods to ensure they're not passing empty strings.  For KEI in particular, I've contributed a fix and the latest version (1.1.2) has it -- it works with OMS and such on my 1.1.3 installs.  (And on my 1.1.3 RSS install as well, since it now doesn't assume that the homeworld is named Kerbin.)

6 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I think it's mainly a stock method (to get an experiment that matches a given ID) that doesn't like empty experimentIDs (arguably a "bug" in that it's better practice to validate incoming data "just in case"), so mods need to insulate their calls to those methods to ensure they're not passing empty strings.  For KEI in particular, I've contributed a fix and the latest version (1.1.2) has it -- it works with OMS and such on my 1.1.3 installs.  (And on my 1.1.3 RSS install as well, since it now doesn't assume that the homeworld is named Kerbin.)

TY much (both).

I've decided to forego experiment list traversing mods for now.  Nehemiah and L-Tech are much too good to sit on the sidelines.

Yeah, from your previous posts, sounds like it's much more practical to patch on the "null-affected mods" end rather than on the "null-generating mods" end.

Good validation is good practice, but I'm guessing the other authors never imagined that some mods would routinely seed the experiment list with nulls.  One man's error condition is another man's core functionality...  :-)

Thanks again

For anybody adventurous, NSM (Nehemia's Science Mods) now work for KSP1.2 pre.  I purposely haven't made a release yet, but the mod can be manually downloaded from github (HINT: It's the GameData folder).

EDIT: You'll also need ModuleManager and KIS for the full functionality, neither of which have been officially recompiled for KSP1.2

Edited by micha

10 hours ago, Wildroot said:

Hi, guys... Maybe I miss this, but is a solution about KEES recovery missions?

Hi Wildroot, what's the problem? I haven't finished testing the 1.2 build, but as far as I was aware, everything was pretty much working in the KSP 1.1 builds.  If not, can you please raise a bug issue on GitHub (preferred), or explain the problem in detail here?

Hm... I move some experiments to orbit. Attach Experiment Carrier and run PPMD and  POSA I experiments. After "Finallise" not always gets "Run experiment in orbit around..." check. And the most problem, I can`t recover experiment at Kerbin. There was same issues on page 3, I guess... How to  raise a bug?

On 30/09/2016 at 1:30 PM, Wildroot said:

Hm... I move some experiments to orbit. Attach Experiment Carrier and run PPMD and  POSA I experiments. After "Finallise" not always gets "Run experiment in orbit around..." check. And the most problem, I can`t recover experiment at Kerbin. There was same issues on page 3, I guess... How to  raise a bug?

"Not always" - can you try to narrow down when it won't?  Ideally a save-file with which I can reproduce (no mods other than KEES & KIS please).

I just tried a KEES POSA1 mission in a new save and it worked as expected.

Accept mission, launch vessel, attach PC and experiment (using KIS, and an Engineer with a Tool), run experiment (finalizing it ticks the "run experiment" part of the contract), recover experiment (detach using KIS and store in Seat or a container), deorbit and recover vessel ("Return and recover" is ticked after closing the recovery dialogs).

20 hours ago, micha said:

I just tried a KEES POSA1 mission in a new save and it worked as expected.

Accept mission, launch vessel, attach PC and experiment (using KIS, and an Engineer with a Tool), run experiment (finalizing it ticks the "run experiment" part of the contract), recover experiment (detach using KIS and store in Seat or a container), deorbit and recover vessel ("Return and recover" is ticked after closing the recovery dialogs).

Thank you... I`ll check it. Maybe it`s really some of my mods...

Now that KIS has a pre-release, I've also made a pre-release for KSP1.2.

It still requires ModuleManager for Kemini (unless you manually hack the command-pod config files) and unfortunately there's still no pre-release for that available officially.

Links in the top post, please submit feedback and bugs here or on my GitHub.

On 05/07/2015 at 1:59 AM, nobodyhasthis said:

Trouble is I am using the Corvus. An absolutely adorable kerbal version of Gemini. More about it here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121062-1-0-2-Corvus-Size-1-two-Kerbal-command-pod(Version-1-1-1). Any chance of adding support for it?

Completely missed this, so sorry.  Just added a MM config file for the Corvus, if you're still interested. Although the Corvus pod needs a bit of TLC in general (some misspelled stuff in the configs) and it should get a ModuleDataTransmitter for KSP 1.2.

I've made some general tweaks over the last week, but also just completed a major refactor based on some recommendations to remove foreach() and Linq from Unity projects.

My brief tests indicate it should all work, but I'd appreciate any bug reports or other suggestions.

So if anybody is feeling adventurous, you can download the "mw_feature_performance" branch; the GameData folder should be a complete install. 

Finally: if anybody wants to help, I don't really "do" Unity (or graphics, for that matter), and the Unity projects for the various parts are way out of date. I'd like to update them to the current Unity and VS2015/6, in order to hopefully make some tweaks to the models, but no idea how to go about it. PartTools appears to be involved somewhere.. annoyingly there doesn't seem to be a Unity dev environment for Linux.

On 20/10/2016 at 7:23 AM, Sudragon said:

Has anyone thought of any more experiments for Kemeni?

Thinking them up is easy, for example: http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/experimentSearch.do?spacecraft=Gemini 8

I'm not sure what criteria Nehemia used to choose which ones he picked. Also if more are added it makes the early game easier. Would have to balance by reducing the science payout and increasing the cost or time,  etc. 

On the positive side I rather coincidentally managed to get the Unity project for Kemini going yesterday so yes I could start adding more. 

3 hours ago, micha said:

Thinking them up is easy, for example: http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/experimentSearch.do?spacecraft=Gemini 8

I'm not sure what criteria Nehemia used to choose which ones he picked. Also if more are added it makes the early game easier. Would have to balance by reducing the science payout and increasing the cost or time,  etc. 

On the positive side I rather coincidentally managed to get the Unity project for Kemini going yesterday so yes I could start adding more. 

Is there the option to get reputation rather than science? Doing (for example) 'live radio interview of a kerbonaut...in orbit!' (needs kerbonaut and open comms band (link to KSC)?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.