I don't get the whining about 1.0.2

ShadowZone

"Rockets flip over, no stability, etc. in 1.0.2"

"Way over 4000 dV to orbit in 1.0.2"

May I present the Ozymandias II, my long range interplanetary exploration vehicle. It weighs 242 tons and sits on top of the second stage of this launcher vehicle. It took me about 3900 dV to get it into a 70/70 orbit.

Regarding flight profile: Just stay "above" the prograde vector, keep your TWR at around 1.5 (you would need KER for that, otherwise just throttle down after every significant turn) until you stage and then crank it up full throttle for orbit. I had to correct a little, yes, but it was okay. Not any harder than in 0.90 or in 1.0 - just a little different.

What I did NOT like however was that my LV-N cluster blew up after about 3 minutes at full throttle. That's not nice.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

What I did NOT like however was that my LV-N cluster blew up after about 3 minutes at full throttle. That's not nice.

Its still about 200% better than they where with 1.0 At least you can use them now, you just have to spread them out so the heat has somewhere to go.

http://imgur.com/a/nFl9I

I do remember LV-Ns also blowing up in 0.90 if left at full throttle.

Spread them so you give them room to radiate away the heat. Are you trying to use wings as radiators? Attach the engines to larger parts instead. Either Mk2 or MK3 tanks or MK1 jet fuels radially mounted on MK3 tanks. I went to the Mun and landed there with nukes with such a setup, but I had a heatshield beneath the MK3 which was, I guess, absorbing the heat. And if you're using so many nukes, get the MRS mod and use its quad nuke engine mounted on short MK3 fuel tanks. You'll save in part count and you'll be spreading the heat over a larger tank.

The nukes aren't broken. Same as the aero system, people need to relearn how to use them.

You are looking for a logical reason. There is no logical reason except that people don't want to learn the new system. This is a symptom of Squad taking so long to fix aerodynamics. Not that I'm blaming Squad for anything mind you, just that if they done this when there were less players it would have blown over rather quickly.

You can land planes with stub wings at 25m/s and heat shields are not needed even for interplanetary returns but hey, SQUAD knows best ... right?!

/sarcasm

The main complaint I've seen is about the modified aero, which is more soupy than 1.0's.

There's a gif showing a shuttle with small wings landing.. at 25 m/s. It looks like it's floating.

EDIT: Also, heating was drastically reduced, so even steep reentries can survive without a shield.

I splashed down a supersonic design at 38m/s. Soup just got thick.

Luckily, because the atmosphere is easily moddable, you can change 5 values in your Physics.cfg file in KSP (located in the root folder), and reset it to the old pre 1.0.1 values if you really want to kill the new aero with fire: (credit goes to this reddit post)

Old values (1.0), reset the values to these:

[FONT=monospace]dragMultiplier = 6.0
dragCubeMultiplier = 0.06
liftMultiplier = 0.038
liftDragMultiplier = 0.03
bodyLiftMultiplier = 8
[/FONT]

New (1.0.1/.2), for comparison:

[FONT=monospace]dragMultiplier = 8.0
dragCubeMultiplier = 0.1
liftMultiplier = 0.055
liftDragMultiplier = 0.025
bodyLiftMultiplier = 10.7[/FONT]

(do note this makes getting to orbit easier due to the reduced drag)

After seeing so many complaints with 1.0.2 in the community, I almost didn't upgrade.

Well, I'm glad I did. I think 1.0.2 is a HUGE improvement. Even if it's not exactly right and still needs tweeks, it's better.

My reentrys on 1.0 used to suck: I didn't slow down at all. I used to get to 10,000 meters at over 1,000m/s. It was mandatory to deploy the uber chutes while there still was reentry heat going on.

I just loaded my game on 1.0.2 and returned from the Mun. It was a really fun reentry: I spent half of my heat shield and I actually slowed down, deploying the chutes after all heat was gone.

As far as I can tell from some other posts, the Mk1 Pod does not really need a Heat Shield anymore. But my lander with a basic science package definitely needed it. Just consider the Mk1 Pod has a built-in heat shield.

As for the memory leak, that, I agree, is pretty bad.

I don't see why anyone who disagrees with something is considered whining?

I think a lot of it is ever since 1.0 it seems like every other thread on general is a complaint about something. I've been here since 0.18 and have never seen so many critical threads.

The 'whining' about 1.0.2 is also in part because Squad is tossing out poorly-tested knee-jerk wild balance adjustments. I don't even want to play because I know half the .... I build won't even work when they .... up the game in a few days with 1.0.3.

After seeing so many complaints with 1.0.2 in the community, I almost didn't upgrade.

Well, I'm glad I did. I think 1.0.2 is a HUGE improvement. Even if it's not exactly right and still needs tweeks, it's better.

My reentrys on 1.0 used to suck: I didn't slow down at all. I used to get to 10,000 meters at over 1,000m/s. It was mandatory to deploy the uber chutes while there still was reentry heat going on.

I just loaded my game on 1.0.2 and returned from the Mun. It was a really fun reentry: I spent half of my heat shield and I actually slowed down, deploying the chutes after all heat was gone.

As far as I can tell from some other posts, the Mk1 Pod does not really need a Heat Shield anymore. But my lander with a basic science package definitely needed it. Just consider the Mk1 Pod has a built-in heat shield.

As for the memory leak, that, I agree, is pretty bad.

Nah, nothing needs a heat shield. Test it. It's broken. I'm not advocating for 1.0 aero... but, 1.0.2 is too tweaked in the .90 direction. We need a happy medium in between 1.0 and 1.0.2

May I present the Ozymandias II, my long range interplanetary exploration vehicle. It weighs 242 tons and sits on top of the second stage of this launcher vehicle. It took me about 3900 dV to get it into a 70/70 orbit.

Regarding flight profile: Just stay "above" the prograde vector, keep your TWR at around 1.5 (you would need KER for that, otherwise just throttle down after every significant turn) until you stage and then crank it up full throttle for orbit. I had to correct a little, yes, but it was okay. Not any harder than in 0.90 or in 1.0 - just a little different.

http://imgur.com/a/nFl9I

For some reason, when I look upon that I start to despair.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.