Show me your early career mode 1.0.x Mun rockets

Back before 1.0, I could design and run a Mun mission in 30 minutes with my eyes closed.

But now I'm doing a new career mode, and I'm having trouble getting my Mun rocket into orbit, much less to the Mun and back.

So, how are you guys building your Mun rockets in the time before fuel lines and 2.5m parts?

Well I didn't do a Mun landing without fuel lines. Simply getting there and orbiting while gathering EVA data around the equator will get you all the science you need for fuel lines. But this was that orbiter, no fuel lines. As I recall it was actually a little overkill fuel-wise.

78DEF843573339902E51AB7DC194234EDFA78788

This was my first lander. Not the greatest thing, but it worked. I got lazy and used the same lifter, despite having fuel lines available. The lander has the fuel lines.

2DE8F42EA6E5F25442D0E907731FB48709FBB2C7

Edited by Alshain

Only got around to trying out 1.0.2 for the first time tonight. Decided to just slap something together to get a feel for the new aerodynamics and heating system before I tried anything more ambitious. May I present the Nova T1 testbed:

r0ova0.jpg

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised (and more than a bit alarmed) by the fuel consumption, though I was just winging the speed (rather than looking up the values for an efficient ascent). I also accidently turned the engines off for several seconds, performed cartwheels while attempting to gravity turn, and neglected to connect the booster fuel tanks to the center stack, and she still made it into a 90/110 orbit with 45% fuel remaining in the half tank on the second stage (not enough to go anywhere, but more than enough to land). A trio of winglets on the main stack would also not be unwelcome, for after the boosters are dropped.

She landed just fine, though there was a little bit of panic when I couldn't remember if the altitude setting on the parachute was sea level or radar (it's radar). 90/50 descent setup, could have been a lot more aggressive which such a light return assembly. Didn't even lose the battery.

So basically, I screwed up the launch at every opportunity in a rocket I threw together in 5 minutes, and the mission was still a resounding success. That is truly the Kerbal way (and of course Jebediah was the pilot).

I very much look forward to trying to recreate my Kethane fleet under the new inbuilt system. The only hitch is that my mining fleet is truly going to be incapable of atmospheric landings now, so I'll have to work out a shuttle instead. No matter, I just need to decide how to name them.

Edited by Randox

My suggestion is this:

Until 3km, reach and maintain 100 m/s

At 3 km, depending on TWR of engines (under 1.5 twr, max it out, over 1.5 twr go until you start seeing air friction) increase to maximum speed.

At 7.5 km turn to 90 degrees and proceed until the apoapsis hits 60~

Turn to 5 degrees above the horizon line and accelerate as much as you can, most of this takes part (for me anyway) from about 22km to 35km~

--

PGfB3wX.png

This is a very early orbiter.

hJNvWx5.png

This is a basic flyby vehicle for passing by Minmus and the Mun.

RTZoago.png

As soon as I hit miniaturization this was the first thing I built. It has somewhere between 6k and 7k Dv, you could get to Jool with it I think-but I use it just for Satellite missions (because I am freaking terrible at getting my Argument correct)

mFKRcb0.png

The last ship I would consider "Early" because the next iteration moves to 2.5 m parts to replace that silly bottom section.

--

In previous versions of KSP I made a beeline to science techs, but after experiencing the change brought on by unlocking fairings, frankly, everyone should get those before anything else. Fairings made the game much much more playable, I highly recommend getting there ASAP.

Hope that helps!

Edited by zerotwo

Man, I'm having trouble getting a 30-part ship to orbit, let alone the Mun. On my last try, I came very close, using 3 BACC solid boosters and a gimbaled liquid engine with a bunch of T200 tanks. I've upgraded only the launchpad so far. Should I be upgrading the VAB next, to get me more parts? Or should I keep on trying with 30 parts, perhaps by lightening my payload and adding moar boosters?

Which one the first mun rocket or the first mun lander?

this was my first mun rocket

Bottle rocket mk4

L3aVYc0.jpg

Description:

This rocket will reliably allow you to get into Munar orbit and return to kerbin safely.

Cost: 41,900

Part count: 96

Weight: 71.1T

Download link:

http://www./download/hs6dv5hi3oybcy9/Bottle+rocket+mk+4.craft

JLGFoq2.jpg

GSE18ZG.jpg

0HMKTHZ.jpg

x9qLeGU.jpg

gSLwarj.jpg

xsWQlhD.jpg

RCa2PHS.jpg

ibby6TU.jpg

VAzPWsR.jpg

This was my first mun lander

Mun lander mk1

lusNBSw.jpg

This rocket will reliably get you to the Mun, Land you there then send you back to kerbin again.

Cost: 98,878

Part count: 212

Weight: 223.6T

Download link:

http://www./download/vslzk47cyvq3dzc/Mun+lander+mk+1.craft

470jTP9.jpg

wSnLYTG.jpg

v2DwyJV.jpg

SJCxwVW.jpg

N3xcBsB.jpg

KK2VHwJ.jpg

phF09r5.jpg

toBLxFN.jpg

Yk5dArZ.jpg

xLrenAb.jpg

MxSoDKn.jpg

aYAT8f7.jpg

tTN45xH.jpg

CMrlwGN.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

Got this to the Mun, landed, and got back yesterday. Trick to getting it under 30 parts was those big SRBs to get me out of the atmosphere.

YpxgKzR.png

Edited by SofusRud

SFSueYR.png

My first ship that reached the Mun and entered low orbit. Early design before i unlocked fuel lines. It still had enough fuel for landing, but lacked landing legs and fuel needed for return. So i brough it back to Kerbin for redesign :)

My rocket is 43 parts and 72.9t. It can be built with early tech tree parts but VAB and launch pad must be upgraded. It lands and returns with remaining fuel. Capable for Mun surface rescue mission with okto and solar added.

The tricks:

- no protection shield. Return using multiple aerobraking on high-enough orbit. Only the pod lands.

- launch stability achieved through the LV-T45 gimbal. It is run on the least possible thrust that keeps the rocket stable and controllable until the boosters go off. The LV-T45 is turned off while the boosters are jettisoned to avoid crashing.

- the BACC boosters are run in two stages with the thrust set to optimal values (50% and 80%). The optimal values were found using trial and error.

- the radial engines work in parallel with the bottom LV-T45 after the boosters. Gravity turn is done as soon as the turning effect of the athmosphere allows it

- stabilizer is turned off when possible. This way the electricity in the pod is enough.

- the lander is also the return vehicle driven by an LV-909. Its center of mass is too high so it is hard to land without flipping. But possible :-).

- the to orbit, transfer and landing phase is an LV-909 to spare weight. When reaching orbit the TWR it provides is just enough. When landing on the Mun the fuel is used just before landing. So it is jettisoned just before touching the ground of the Mun.

- there is no ladder. Kerbals use JETPACK to enter the vehicle on the surface of the Mun.

- it has 4 legs. 3 may also be enough :-)

w2lz7q.jpg

Well, she certainly is not low tech or anything; however, she landed and returned to kerbin with lots of science. I brought a scientist to reset the experiments and stored everything between the two pods. Both pods have heat shields on each end, I had jeb at a level he could face pro/retrograde. Which was vital for reentry, one of the ablators almost ran out!

8D50B6F6D4599197A1CC68F858B5571F25DD34B5

I used that delicious science to eventually make a minmus lander, the Explorer X Its launch stage was the same as above but with large nose cones:

D92E624247ACB2A755D494AD69BE7388E472F710

However, I was not only hauling 3 tourists but also doing a contract to take 3 temp readings around minmus. That actually killed all my fuel and mono by the time I got into orbit around minmus. So, I redesigned the lander to be lighter and hold a grapple claw. =P

NOTE: Do not land this lander in the ocean, the legs break and the crew capsule in the middle cannot handle an impact greater than 8m/s. Thus, the ocean ate my tourists. ]=<

Now, I'm preparing for a Duna encounter with my first space ship, the KRS Nakoda.

I have two contracts to explore Duna and Ike, I've made one simulated attempt but my approach was bad and I killed all my Dv to get an orbit. The map refused to show me my Pe, so I could not get an atmo break approach. >_<

I'm feeling the LV-N nerf. =P

1D658C9A6B47C68BBB672969101717F833C6B8F2

I plan to be able to at least orbit Duna and land on Ike then bring back science to my Mun research station. I think I need to refuel that LFB KR-1x2 "twin-boar", its about 50% fuel or toss an extra fuel tank inbetween the lander and nuclear engine tug; this transfer and return stage doesn't have enough fuel to do both. =[

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been playing again since 1.0 came out. I just got to the end of my first career (ran out of money launching [and crashing] probes on Duna without sending enough sciences back and not being able to recoup any of the money spent. Just started a new career last night and I will post my early munar lander tonight. I tried playing in sandbox mode but apparently I'm not creative enough to build a cohesive launcher and lander system without some serious constraints. Love these lander/launcher threads, always good to have some more ideas to attempt to implement!

I like planes, and milk kerbin for biomes, so by the time I think about the moons, I have quite a bit of the early tech tree cleared, all the way to orange tanks. Two stages to Mun (or multiple Minmus landings, for greater science return), and 100% recoverable:

WK1Or0a.png

Rune. Build a ~3km/s lander. Put it on top of a chemical SSTO. BAM! Science tree done in a few missions, for change.

Edited by Rune

I no longer have the design, but I use a separate lander with enough delta-V to land from a 10km orbit and return to a 10km orbit in a single stage. Doing this means it is fully reusable - I can dock with it, refuel and go again, or leave it sitting in orbit for the next mission so that I don't need to bring a second lander.

This vehicle is capable of reaching an orbit around Mun. Although it can land I wouldn't call it a lander, as it might be hard to return to Kerbin. When I landed it on the Mun it had 8.28 Liquid Fuel left. It's equipped with solar panels, batteries, reaction wheels and lots of science devices. If you manage to land it on the Mun you'll always have a vehicle that can provide 'science data from surface of the Mun'. On the one hand I'm not sure if it is still an 'Early Career' rocket, on the other hand I'm still using 1.25m parts and this vessel doesn't even have an SAS module except the stock SAS inside the Probodobodyne OKTO module.

bjgws9na.png

pxbzxkid.png

Edited by HashtagMC
fixed spelling mistake

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I struggle getting to orbit when I've finished the 45 science section, nevermind the moon. I have great respect for people who can do flights to Eeloo or Jool.

• 5 months later...

Made it to the Mun and back today for the first time :). Landing on the Mun was quite a challenge, and my rocket tipped over. Luckily my rocket had a payload which enabled me to open to get the rocket in a vertical position and quickly boost from there. I had just enough fuel to return to Kerbin, but it was a very exciting re-entry due to the high velocity of the craft. Click on the link for some pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/s03Ly

This mission brought me 279 science it included: a goo canister report, temperature log, pressure log, and EVA. Valentina really enjoyed that moonwalk.

Edited by Kerbalscience7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.