Settings keep resetting

KSP: 1.0.2 Win32

Problem: Whenever I start the game, the settings will reset themselves. The game will start in fullscreen like it's supposed to, but after it finishes loading, the music will start playing (which I've turned off), it asks me if I want to send data to Squad (or whatever that thing did), everything under Graphics is what it normally defaults to (and it will change to that if I click apply/accept), controls go back to default (though one time there was a situation where it was mostly intact and only a few joystick controls were not bound). Basically I would have to do the first-run setup every time I start the game.

Initially I thought it might be caused by the settings file from 0.90.0, but after recreating those settings in 1.0.2 the problem didn't go away.

I think it started when I switched to 1.0.2 from 1.0.

Mods installed: *sigh*

(Semi)Saturable Reaction Wheels

Action Groups Extended

Actions Everywhere

Auto Action

BahamutoD Animation Modules

Banana for Scale - small

Collision FX

Community Resource Pack

Contract Window +

Control Lock

Distant Object Enhancement (default config)

DMagic Orbital Science

Docking Port Alignment Indicator

Editor Extensions

EVA Parachutes

EVA Parachutes by default

EVAManager

Fairing With Mass

Field Experience

Final Frontier

Flight Manager for Reusable Stages [FMRS]

Hullcam VDS

Hyperedit

In-game notepad

Infernal Robotics Model Rework - Core Pack

Infernal Robotics Model Rework - Expansion Pack

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Kerbal Flight Indicators

Kerbal Inventory System

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Kerbal Renamer

kOS: Scriptable Autopilot System

KSP AVC

Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics

Module Manager 2.6.2

Navball Docking Alignment Indicator

Plane Mode

PlanetShine (Default configuration)

Procedural Fairings

RasterPropMonitor Core

RealChute Parachute Systems

Science Funding

Sensible Screenshot

Sequencer for Infernal Robotics

Stage Recovery

TAC Life Support (stock config)

Taurus HCV

TextureReplacer

Thermometer

ToadicusTools

Toolbar

TweakableEverything

TweakScale

Universal Storage

Vanguard Technologies Core

Waypoint Manager

Vessel Viewer

And now for those not listed in CKAN:

JDiminishingRTG

Kerbal Attachment System

A tiny Module Manager config I made myself

SmartParts

Stock Bug Fix Modules

That should be it.

Reproduction steps:

Start KSP

Wait until it finishes loading

Hear music play

Go to settings

Everything is defaulted

Rage.

Log:

output_log.txt

Settings file (the one I want to use), just in case:

settings.cfg

Yes, I have this issue too - since today.

At first I though it might have to do with some updates and newly installed mods, but even after uninstalling from Steam and reinstalling, it keeps happening - with a 100% vanilla install.

Edit: System is Win7 x64. No issues of that kind since 0.18.

Edited by MisterBennock

yeah, I have the same issue, it's not mod related, I checked and it still happens on a fresh install. I did notice that the settings.cfg file is saving my settings, they're just not being read by the game on the next load.

This issue is often reported. It can be fixed by both deleting your settings.cfg from the KSP main directory and replacing the settings.cfg.bak in the launcher_data folder with your own.

This issue is often reported. It can be fixed by both deleting your settings.cfg from the KSP main directory and replacing the settings.cfg.bak in the launcher_data folder with your own.

Thank you very much, I will try out immediately.

EDIT: This didn't help the slightest bit.

Edited by xrayfishx

Thank you very much, I will try out immediately.

EDIT: This didn't help the slightest bit.

I am sorry, it did the trick for me.

Edit: Did you do exactly the following?

1. Delete settings.cfg from KSP folder

2. Start KSP and let set all the options to your liking

3. Exit KSP

4. Copy the new settings.cfg to the Launcher_data folder

5. Backup the settings.cfg.bak from the launcher_Data folder

6. Rename the new settings.cfg in the Launcher_data folder to settings.cfg.bak

7. Start KSP

Edited by Andy81le

I am sorry, it did the trick for me.

Edit: Did you do exactly the following?

1. Delete settings.cfg from KSP folder

2. Start KSP and let set all the options to your liking

3. Exit KSP

4. Copy the new settings.cfg to the Launcher_data folder

5. Backup the settings.cfg.bak from the launcher_Data folder

6. Rename the new settings.cfg in the Launcher_data folder to settings.cfg.bak

7. Start KSP

What I did was I deleted the settings file, copied my backup settings file and renamed it to settings.cfg.bak and moved it to Launcher_data and then ran KSP. I will try again and I'll do everything exactly as you listed, but I doubt it will change anything. We'll see.

Edit: For now it seems to have worked. I don't know why it didn't work before. Perhaps it's because I backed up the old .bak file in the same folder. Then again, I changed its file type so it seems a bit unlikely.

Edited by xrayfishx

well, I tried that, following the steps exactly. Somehow it saved the settings once, but when I went in to change more of the settings, it went back to the same defaults it was resetting to before. This is not a solution.

Any word on this from Squad? This is a completely game breaking bug that should be dealt with immediately. They can't think that it's ok to have us have to recreate our settings every time until the next big update and I really hope they don't.

Any word on this from Squad? This is a completely game breaking bug that should be dealt with immediately. They can't think that it's ok to have us have to recreate our settings every time until the next big update and I really hope they don't.

Well, it has been reported several times in the bug tracker, dunno if they do anything with it. Some issues there are already a few years old.

Well, it has been reported several times in the bug tracker, dunno if they do anything with it. Some issues there are already a few years old.

Yeah, those issues that remain there for a long time aren't game breaking. But this bloody thing, I don't play the game anymore because of it. I will not play the game until a fix or a workaround becomes available. If that's not game breaking, I don't know what is. So I believe a fix can't be too far away, whether community-made or official.

I was trying to help a user in IRC with this same issue yesterday, for him this issue was related to using an XBox controller with KSP. If the controller was off/not connected the game would not save settings, once turned on it worked fine.

Not sure if this is the cause for everyone reporting the issue, just thought I'd share it as it may help some.

I was trying to help a user in IRC with this same issue yesterday, for him this issue was related to using an XBox controller with KSP. If the controller was off/not connected the game would not save settings, once turned on it worked fine.

Not sure if this is the cause for everyone reporting the issue, just thought I'd share it as it may help some.

This might indeed be the culprit in this case, as most users reporting this problem encountered it after configuring a joystick/gamepad in KSP, including myself.

well, then normal joysticks shouldn't have that problem, they should always be connected.

An update: As I said above, the work around worked once, but was undone as soon as I changed settings. I tried doing it again, this time changing everything I needed so I wouldn't have to change it later, and now it won't work at all. This really needs to be fixed, I can't stand having to reset everything each time I want to play, and I'm not sure the graphics changes are taking effect at all, since they need a restart to work.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

It's also happening to me. Could it be related to a memory thing, though? In 0.90 one I got ATM compressing files like crazy (around 1,300-1,500 mb in Task Manager on load) as well as in a near-stock 1.0 install, it isn't an issue. In 1.0 without ATM helping me and now pegging 2700-2,900 mb RAM in Task Manager (and Sentinel going off yellow every scene change), I'm also losing my graphics and joystick axes settings after every game quit. It could also be related to plugging in the joystick (I play with the joystick on and off at times), but having the joystick config'd wasn't an issue with the near-stock 1.0, or the ATM'd 0.90 for that matter (though a few times in 0.90, I'd lose the saved settings anyway, but not after every game quit, IIRC).

Maybe they're not related (I can get that running a little heavy on the memory should have no effect on the setting configuration file at all), but I decided to share this (admittedly amateur and not well-considered) observation just in case. Indeed, it's not technically a game-breaking bug, but it is becoming worrisome--especially since I have to quit often to clear memory leaks.

No, I don't think that's related, your install is not even getting close to the x86 limit (and when it does, the whole game will just crash). I'm also still not thinking that removing the joysticks is the trigger, I never unplug mine.

I tried the work around on page 2 a couple more times and I'm still not having any luck.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

I'm having this exact same issue on 1.0.2 on OS X since I used it with my PS4 Dualshock 4 controller. The controller thing is probably the issue, it didn't exist in 0.90, I had 1.0.0 for just a day and didn't use a controller with it and never had 1.0.1 installed. 1.0.2 didn't start resetting the settings like described by OP until I noticed controller settings had disappeared since I tweaked them in 0.90 and set them again.

I hate to say it, but I tried setting only the non-controller related stuff, and it worked, which unfortunately means it is a problem with how the game sees the controllers. This also explains why the workaround worked for me once, but then broke again, the first time around I just set a couple of toggles to see if it would work at all, and then when it apparently did I tried to set the controls.

Any ideas on how to force KSP to work with Joysticks without having to go through the whole dog and pony show every time I load?

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Well, in light of that last bit of information the best we can do, probably, is to keep a backup settings file with all of your stuff the way you want it, except without the joystick binds. Then you'll have to delete the settings file and replace it with that backup each time you want to start the game and then, in-game, you just rebind all the joystick stuff. It sounds more annoying than it is (I hope) and I'm going to see if it works right now.

Edit: First of all, it works this way. Secondly I just got an idea. Those of you who have this problem, are you using PPJoy?

Edited by xrayfishx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.