How to conquer lag

Hi all,

I've been having some problems with lag lately. I believe (not 100% sure) that it is due to Kerbin and/or its water. Whenever I'm in space I'm fine but during launch I get so much lag. Granted, I don't have the best PC best there must be a way to conquer it!

Here are my specs:

Specs.png

And this is my current in-game graphic set-up:

KSP_setup.png

I hope I can get this solved!

Thanks,

Rex3921

Edited by Rex3921

I can deduce from your specs that you're running the game on a laptop correct?

The graphics-card, I guess, seems to be the bottle-neck of your computer because the rest of the specs seem up to snuf.

You could try to reduce the Anti-Aliasing further. AA is known to take a lot of resources.

If you get it running better, then you could bump something else up again.

Edit: Oh it may also help to set the resolution to the native resolution of your screen.

It may seem counter intuitive, but running at a (slightly) lower res than native can actually be slower because the GPU has to re-calculate where which pixel should be drawn.

Edited by T-Bouw

Wait, do you mean an integrated graphics card with that? Because, yeah, in that case: turn off anti-aliasing completely.

Furthermore: let's differentiate between lag and low frame rate. Which of the two do you have? If it's the second: try turning off ground scatter completely.

I'm not 100% but I believe that I have integrated graphics. Turning off AA helped a lot but it's still a little choppy. It is most likely low frame rate as well. When you say turn off ground scatter is that Scatter Density or Terrain Scatters?

If you have an integrated graphics card then anything you can do to reduce the load will help significantly. When I play on my laptop (which also has an integrated card) I basically put everything to the minimum and will still get lag with craft that have a moderate amount of parts. That said, turning off AA and Terrain Scatters will probably give you the biggest boost (Scatter Density I believe is only used to determine how much terrain scatter is on the ground). Reducing Shadow Cascades and Render Quality also typically give me a noticeable boost.

Thank you all so much! I've found a good balance of good graphics and frame rate. Hitting 30FPS during launch and 50+ FPS in space. Can now play Kerbal once again! I can safely turn this question into answered

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.