Laythe Colony Ship: The Community project!

Exactly. RevenCorana made a wonderful dropship for base modules, and I can change it to make a fuel version (No rockets or cargo bays) and pipe it down the structure to the Propulsion Stage.

That strategy would:

a) Save parts

B) Increase DeltaV

c) Get rid of modules we don't need, keeping the colony to the minimum. (A good thing, it becomes more playable and enjoyable).

there is no need for any dropships for my modules they are fully autonomous.

my modules are modular so you can mix and mach everything you want. i would recommend to not carry the rover and bus modules- they are the most part heavy

I'm not opposed to a pull engine setup, it's true that chemicals could have lower part count, but not that much of a difference if you need structural arms and struts to compensate for added thrust.

No cargo at all would mean no refinery / mining module, no rover etc... I'm not sure if it's a good idea to remove them all, even though Layth is 90% water the surface it still has ore.

Also do you intend to land the whole craft? I though it was meant to stay in Layth low orbit while you'd use the cargo dropships to transit stuff between land and orbit.

Have you thought using a toroidal habitat module on a rotor to create artifical gravity? I could make one with relatively low part count, powered by electricity.

Dropships aren't really droptanks. Though drop tanks could be useful if they're small enough (2.5m) to fit inside the mk3 cargo bays and maybe with wheels to attach them to a truck trailer, so that you can fill them up with mining and send them back to orbit inside a cargo dropship, also there's already 2 free spot on the HUB module for this.

Have you considered using KAS, to load/unload cargo from the dropships? A new update is coming very soon which could be extremely useful.

Edited by RevanCorana

@RevanCorana: Yes, it would stay in Low Laythe Orbit and use Automated Dropships (The MK3 ones) to deliver modules down. The faring in the front would the separtate, and the crew would land and start the colony.

Oh, and about the dropships, what I meant was I take your dropship, replace the cargo bay with fuel and ditch it when it is empty. It would look cool and add DeltaV.

I have and use KAS, but I don't want to use this because it would be cool to make it stock.

@EladDv: I meant that we would use you base modules and use the Dropships to deliver them. I know your landers can land on their own, but I'll scrap the Retro-Rockets so we can use the dropship.

Also, just a reminder, I'm trying to even everybody's work out, but the more you post (more ideas, crafts, ect.) the more your ideas are in the final product.

DMSP

You can do a direct Laythe intercept for very little dV like this:

jUhtdpa.png

This is from 0.25 from my Jool-5 challenge. The basic idea is to use prograde or retrograde to make it take longer or shorter to reach Jool, so that Laythe is in the correct position. And use radial in/out to aim instead of prograde/retrograde. Catch Laythe when it's going in the same direction as you to save on dV.

And then, you could either do an aerobrake or burn into orbit. I don't know exactly how much dV it saves over, say, braking at Jool and then at Laythe, but the aerobrake in the old aero pulled less than 1g all the way through. I think the burn would be about 1000 m/s to a circular orbit.

One solution for aerobraking is to give the engine pods their own heatshields or nose cones, and the center modules are protected by a large fairing in front. I would put a module with a bunch of airbrakes at the very back behind the modules, to keep it pointed in the correct direction.

Alright, some dish diversity will be cool!

I'll modify the habitat to be in the fairing and land @ Laythe.

- - - Updated - - -

You can do a direct Laythe intercept for very little dV like this:

http://i.imgur.com/jUhtdpa.png

This is from 0.25 from my Jool-5 challenge. The basic idea is to use prograde or retrograde to make it take longer or shorter to reach Jool, so that Laythe is in the correct position. And use radial in/out to aim instead of prograde/retrograde. Catch Laythe when it's going in the same direction as you to save on dV.

And then, you could either do an aerobrake or burn into orbit. I don't know exactly how much dV it saves over, say, braking at Jool and then at Laythe, but the aerobrake in the old aero pulled less than 1g all the way through. I think the burn would be about 1000 m/s to a circular orbit.

One solution for aerobraking is to give the engine pods their own heatshields or nose cones, and the center modules are protected by a large fairing in front. I would put a module with a bunch of airbrakes at the very back behind the modules, to keep it pointed in the correct direction.

The Airbrakes would have been there, at the propulsion stage.

Nice fuel saving idea!

So DMSP you need to kick the deployment height of the parachutes up...a lot- i just tried it on duna and it crashed as it didnt have enough time to slow down. also Action group extended is recommended as AG dosnt save their settings in stock...i hate this...(or try to re assign the AG at launch)

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but there was a thread showing how solar panels were useless past Dres, and I was thinking that instead of using a whole bunch of RTGs we have a module at the front that holds an asteroid and mines from it to generate power by making fuel, instead. Of course, stability would have to be maintaned but other than that,

-Free fuel

-Reusable heat shield

Also, for propulsion I recommend Skippers. Four of them can carry around 30-55 tons of weight to Duna with about 3,000 delta V and a decent TWR >1

Lastly, for colony designs I had this idea in my head for a while now. Basically, it's similar to one I've seen a while ago for Duna where it's basically launched sideways and lands on it's side. The idea is like this:

[FUEL TANK & SIDE ENGINE][battery,Hitchiker][rover(optional)][Mining kit for center. Includes ground scanner, miner, converter, fuel cells, & solar panels][rover(optional)][Hitchiker,Battery][FUEL TANK & SIGE ENGINE]

Just imagine that all on one line and you'll get the idea. Then add a fairing and parachutes, and it's done! Land a couple of these and a colony is ready to be used!

Edited by Solarapple

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but there was a thread showing how solar panels were useless past Dres, and I was thinking that instead of using a whole bunch of RTGs we have a module at the front that holds an asteroid and mines from it to generate power by making fuel, instead. Of course, stability would have to be maintaned but other than that,

-Free fuel

-Reusable heat shield

Also, for propulsion I recommend Skippers. Four of them can carry around 30-55 tons of weight to Duna with about 3,000 delta V and a decent TWR >1

Lastly, for colony designs I had this idea in my head for a while now. Basically, it's similar to one I've seen a while ago for Duna where it's basically launched sideways and lands on it's side. The idea is like this:

[FUEL TANK & SIDE ENGINE][battery,Hitchiker][rover(optional)][Mining kit for center. Includes ground scanner, miner, converter, fuel cells, & solar panels][rover(optional)][Hitchiker,Battery][FUEL TANK & SIGE ENGINE]

Just imagine that all on one line and you'll get the idea. Then add a fairing and parachutes, and it's done! Land a couple of these and a colony is ready to be used!

i would suggest you take a look a couple of pages back i posted my base modules- pretty much what you described

i would suggest you take a look a couple of pages back i posted my base modules- pretty much what you described

I'll just drop this here, the chemical version should actually be quite OP for 1.0.2...

S51fJlg.png

MboAWFx.png

Rune. If anyone wants to take a look, the thread is here.

I'll just drop this here, the chemical version should actually be quite OP for 1.0.2...

Rune. If anyone wants to take a look, the thread is here.

yeah your stuff were an inspiration i just made it bigger and more complex.

Yeah, it pretty much is that, but instead of it all being seperate it's power+habitation+lifesupport+exploration(optional) in one. However yours are also very neat and tidy so they may be a better choice over this idea (Unless Rune's base pack is more ideal). Also, just remembered that I was inspired by a constellation mars pack for KSP.

My forum lurking is minimal but I can throw up some quick habs and other modules. I assume I shouldn't start throwing mod parts into the equation.

Alright, sounds good!

I'll post some photos of what the craft looks like now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it pretty much is that, but instead of it all being seperate it's power+habitation+lifesupport+exploration(optional) in one. However yours are also very neat and tidy so they may be a better choice over this idea (Unless Rune's base pack is more ideal). Also, just remembered that I was inspired by a constellation mars pack for KSP.

I have already made quite a few modules and have made modifications to old ones.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey i know you all are doing this stock and all but i have an idea of one mod that will really help drop the part count for the bases

What if we use bobcats home2 and home3 systems? bases with low part counts and easily expandable

Sorry, but we won't use mods because they also tend to add lag. We want a pure craft.

Also, Bobcat is outdated (Since last I checked).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, also, I finished a Laythe-Capable (It hitches a ride on the booster) Parachute Drop-ship SSTO thing.

Good for bases.

Sorry, but we won't use mods because they also tend to add lag.

Lol because our final design will run at 60 FPS on an average no- HIGH end PC....

i think the real reason is to make it as accessible as possible

Lol because our final design will run at 60 FPS on an average no- HIGH end PC....

i think the real reason is to make it as accessible as possible

Well, yeah, this will be like 600 parts or so, and mods would A) Be impractical B) Add unnecessary lag.

- - - Updated - - -

This sounds fun... I might be interested in making some air and ground transport vehicles for Laythe... Like planes and such

Alright! If you can make them low part count and shove them into a MK3 bay, sure!

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.