Thread subscription notifications keep resetting to "None".

Ezriilc

I'm aware of a problem recently with forum emails not going out at all, but this is different. This issue has existed off and on for many months now, and most recently occurred today.

On various threads, particularly my thread about HyperEdit, I find that occasionally the setting for notifications has somehow been changed from "Instant" to "None", so that I'm no longer sent emails about new posts. I am able to set it back to "Instant" and then it works for a while, but at some seemingly random point in time, it gets set back to "None" without my input. I'm certain that I've never made such changes, so I'm confused as to why it's happening.

I've reported this before in IRC - initially months ago - and was told it's being worked on, but it seems to be back again, or just very hard to kill. I've started this thread to track the issue and see if anyone else is having the problem. I'm somewhat familiar with the vBulletin software used here, and I cannot imagine why or how this is happening, so I wish you luck. :D

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ezriilc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've recently noticed a new wrinkle to this problem. Last week, I didn't get some notifications of new posts to a thread, but it never did get reset to "none" - rather, I got the email notices days later. I keep mine on "instant by email" so that I can keep current on support issues and whatnot - this problem makes that very difficult.

I was told that there were plans to switch forum software, and that that was why these problems are not being addressed. However, it's been so long now, that I'm losing confidence that these issues are even on the radar. I feel like the forum is slowly going the way of the Space Port.

Is there ANY hope of getting these problems corrected?

Ezriilc there were some issues with subscription emails not going out after some forum maintenance last week, should be resolved now. Are you still experiencing the "reset" issue?

Oh, thanks for that! I'm pleased to hear there is work being done. I hate posting negative stuff, but at the same time I want this community to remain vibrant and enjoyable, so I felt the need to speak out.

I'm not certain when the last time I had the "none" reset issue was, but probably not long since the last time I bumped this thread and was properly rebuked for it :blush: - that would be July. I got notice of this right away. :)

Well, good! I'm relieved. Thanks again, Red Iron Crown. EDIT: Congrats on hitting 10k posts recently! It will likely take me years and years to get there - but maybe some day...

EDIT: I now remember seeing the "none" reset issue more recently than my last post about it, but that was at least a month ago.

Edited by Ezriilc

• 2 weeks later...

I've spoken to an admin about this and we're not sure exactly what is going on. Only thing I can guess is that your default subscription mode might be set to "Do not subscribe" and that is overriding your subscription settings when you post in a thread. Can you check what the setting currently is? It's in Settings > General Settings.

I've spoken to an admin about this and we're not sure exactly what is going on. Only thing I can guess is that your default subscription mode might be set to "Do not subscribe" and that is overriding your subscription settings when you post in a thread. Can you check what the setting currently is? It's in Settings > General Settings.

I have checked that in the past, and did so again just now. I have "Default Thread Subscription Mode:" set to "Instantly, using email". It's always been so. I've always used Firefox, and I don't have this prob on other forums.

I've tried to determine what might be triggering this, but I just can't pin it on anything particular I'm doing. All I can think of is that sometimes I use the "Go Advanced" option when posting to do more fancy stuff, and in that view there are some "Subscription" options, but I've never changed anything there and it's set properly by default, so... I'm stumped.

I've even administrated communities using vBulletin and I can't think of why this is happening.

There must be something odd going on, I can't see what would be causing it (and I use "Go Advanced" all the time without affecting my subscriptions). At a bit of a loss here, sorry.

One other thing that could be a factor is the email address being used (longshot, here). Have you got one from a mainstream mail service you could switch to temporarily to test?

There must be something odd going on, I can't see what would be causing it (and I use "Go Advanced" all the time without affecting my subscriptions). At a bit of a loss here, sorry.

One other thing that could be a factor is the email address being used (longshot, here). Have you got one from a mainstream mail service you could switch to temporarily to test?

I appreciate the brain power used on this. It only happens sometimes and I'm not sure if there's any link between it and my using "Go Advanded" - I just threw that in just in case.

I could change emails, sure, but this would be the very first time in over 5 years that I've ever had any issue with my provider. Besides, I can't see how the email address or system might be affecting my settings in this forum, unless the unsubscribe links are somehow being hit - certainly not by me. Thunderbird is my email client and I've never had such problems with it. The email concept seems pretty unlikely to me.

So, I guess I'll just suffer through, and post here if/when I learn anything new.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.