My KSP Settings Keep Getting Reset

I have this exact same problem, and also have a wireless XBox 360 controller. I can add some more detail as well.

If the controller is ON when starting the game, everything is just fine. It loads, the settings are there, and it's all good.

If the controller is OFF when starting the game, one of two things happen.

A: I have everything stock, and the settings all get totally reset right from the get-go, everything from graphics options to control settings...

B: I made Settings.cfg read-only, and the game loads to the loading screen, but all options are grayed out and I can't do anything except Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill it with Task Manager.

Now... I've been trained rather well to simply always have the controller on before launching the game (though I can't even tell you how many borked loads I had thanks to the read-only Settings.cfg crash, and how much of my time that's wasted)... but here's the rub.

Batteries aren't free.

I only use my controller to fly planes and SSTOs in atmosphere. In space I use all keyboard. That means there -should- be entire play sessions (most of them in fact) when I shouldn't need to turn my controller on. Instead, I have to turn it on and burn up battery, JUST to keep KSP from freaking out, and I go through a pair of batteries a week, instead of a pair every six months like I normally do unless I'm playing a controller-heavy game when I actually use it constantly.

This can't be that complicated, guys... most other games don't have this problem. You can turn a controller on during play, and it just starts working. Speaking of... why in the world can't I change key bindings in the game itself? Is this something inherent to the Unity engine?

It is a funny one. I did not have the problem until today. At a loss to why it is now showing up.

Stranger still, the problem resolved itself after I made my initial post. Isn't software fun? :confused:

Edited by Spoo Hunter

I fixed mine after multiple angry outbursts at the game. This is what I did to fix it...

1. Stop KSP if it is running.
    -
  2. Right click on the folder where you have KSP installed (usually '\ksp_win') and select 'Properties'.
    -
  3. In the dialogue box that appears, untick the "Read Only" box if it is lit.
    -
  4. Let it recurse through the folders to make the folder completely writable.
    -
  5. NOW DELETE SETTINGS.CFG!!!!!! (I tried to just do the above but it still played silly buggers until I trashed settings.cfg)
    -
  6. Now restart KSP and it now behaves itself and lets you alter the settings properly.

I've never had this problem before 1.0.2.

• 3 weeks later...
I fixed mine after multiple angry outbursts at the game. This is what I did to fix it...

1. Stop KSP if it is running.
    -
  2. Right click on the folder where you have KSP installed (usually '\ksp_win') and select 'Properties'.
    -
  3. In the dialogue box that appears, untick the "Read Only" box if it is lit.
    -
  4. Let it recurse through the folders to make the folder completely writable.
    -
  5. NOW DELETE SETTINGS.CFG!!!!!! (I tried to just do the above but it still played silly buggers until I trashed settings.cfg)
    -
  6. Now restart KSP and it now behaves itself and lets you alter the settings properly.

I've never had this problem before 1.0.2.

Nope that doesn't help, not me anyways.

If I don't plug in my joystick and config the options of the game .. they remain after restarts. As soon as I plug in my joystick start the game and assign any axis to the joystick, next restart settings reset.

I find it very annoying that this problem still persists for over a month already. I don't have a CH Flightstick just to have it collect dust, I want to use it and I guess everyone would agree with that.

It is unacceptable to be required to play without a controller or joystick.

Edited by VentZer0

• 2 months later...
Nope that doesn't help, not me anyways.

If I don't plug in my joystick and config the options of the game .. they remain after restarts. As soon as I plug in my joystick start the game and assign any axis to the joystick, next restart settings reset.

I find it very annoying that this problem still persists for over a month already. I don't have a CH Flightstick just to have it collect dust, I want to use it and I guess everyone would agree with that.

It is unacceptable to be required to play without a controller or joystick.

I am experiencing this issue as well. I initially plugged in a USB Xbox controller thinking it might make control easier, but I found that I couldn't get it calibrated well enough. Essentially my control would always drift with a bit of yaw or roll no matter how big I set the dead zone to. While I never tried plugging the controller in AFTER starting KSP, which I could see causing problems, I still have the automatically rewritten settings.cfg file problem whenever I start KSP WITHOUT the controller plugged in ever since my initial attempt. I have noticed that there is still a whole controls sections dedicated to the game controller in the default settings.cfg which is overwriting my custom one. It seems as though perhaps when you set the controller axes up in the settings they are somehow being incorporated into the default settings.cfg file and if they are not extant in your custom file that file is then overwritten. I am going to attempt to troubleshoot this a bit further and post a bug report.

[EDIT]

After some digging I found and replaced this code in my settings.cfg:

AXIS_PITCH
{
PRIMARY
{
name = Controller (Afterglow Ga.
axis = 1
inv = False
sensitivity = 1
deadzone = 0.2422314
scale = 1
group = 0
modeMask = 7
}

with this code from my backed up settings from prior to the attempt at gamepad use:

AXIS_PITCH
{
PRIMARY
{
name = None
axis = -1
inv = False
sensitivity = 1
deadzone = 0.05
scale = 1
group = 0
modeMask = -1
}

This, so far, appears to be the only section requiring a tweak. My game now saves settings normally.

Edited by bmaltby
Workaround Discovered

• 7 months later...

Problem still happens (1.1.0). The game just ignores saved settings.cfg and resets to defaults every launch. But it does save settings on "Apply", I can see the changes in file.

When I intentionally lock settings.cfg as read-only, dialog asking for "send progress data" cannot close, even if I return writing access without closing game.

Why does this dialog appear every launch?

For me, using the Advanced Fly By Wire mod solves this problem. Otherwise, you have to make very sure to have your controller -on- when you click "Launch". If it's off, it seems to load some sort of default settings file or something instead. But if I shut the game down again, and re-launch with the controller on from the very beginning, the settings actually load just fine, so it isn't like they get wiped completely, just... not loaded if the controller setup is different than it expected.

Otherwise, another work-around is simply to get the control settings set up exactly how you want them... and then deliberately make settings.cfg read-only. This makes the game hang if you try to change settings through the game menus, but otherwise everything works fine. If you need to change a setting, you can right-click the file, go to properties, and make it writable again, alt-tab back into the game, change the settings, hit Accept, alt-tab back out, and make it read-only once more, as the game doesn't permanently hang, just until it can finish writing the settings changes.

Really though, it's 2016. What is the reasoning for not simply having native XBox controller support, like pretty much every other game in existence? Do you have to pay a licensing fee or something? Otherwise it's time to include it, Squad guys...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.