Extreme Hard Career

Moesly_Armlis

You can increase the difficulty with DRE, Tac Life Support and Remote Tech.

With these 3 mods you make re-entry dangerous if done incorrectly.

Tac life support means you can't have Kerbals out indefinitely, and Remote Tech means you can't just do all the missions with probes instead.

It adds a lot to the game without turning it into a grind.

That's what I'm going to do. I'm new to KSP. I have to figure out how these mods work first. And after that I will continue my career with these extreme hard settings and mods.

Increasing the difficulty by adding mods is how I played this type of career for the first time back in version 0.25, with the mods you listed and some more. Looking back on that harderS career I can now see many errors that were made. This career is to accomplish the goal within a short kerbal time frame.

The mission for Mun fly by has two parts. The first part sends a vessel towards Mun and the other part is earning science and funds back at the Kerbal Space Centre. This happens simultaneously and timing and mission planning is critical. The amount of time and attention given to each mission has to be managed effectively.

The "grind" is not a pleasing aspect to this game. The paperwork as I call it has to be done to facilitate any useful mission. An example of paperwork problems can happen on the Mun fly by were back at the KSC contracts are being completed to pay for the astronaut complex. If the Mun fly by is missed than why bother to revert or reload. That mountain of paperwork effectively removes those options.

In the year playing KSP, for the first time, the idea of managing a space centre has been realized. Missions coinciding demand more attention to time management and mission planning. The paper workload provides a feeling of "no turning back now" and this contract acquirement barrier is the penalty for making mistakes. With just a little bit of peril this game will make you overcome obstacles you thought were impossible.

Continuing my career...

I have added mods (RT, TAC, DRE). The mods are really superb, the gameplay changed drastically. The most important thing to do first is to provide satellite coverage of the Kerbin System. With shortage of funds and low tech (no improved Communotron 32 with 5Mm range, no interplanetary long-range antennae, no folding solar panels, no big batteries) the mission becomes complicated. Several mistakes were very costly and almost ruined the career. I've lost my first vehicle with 4 base Omni Com Sats, that were planned to provide partial coverage (burned during ascent, still getting used to DRE). Another vehicle with heavy Mun Sat and Mun Lander was lost during transfer to the munar orbit (I forgot to extend and point the DTS antenna to Kerbin). The Mun slingshoted it to the high Kerbin orbit. To that time I only had 11 000 left and a few Omni Sats with thermometer around Kerbin. They saved me.

In spite of everything the goal was complete:

1). First of all I established a base Com Sat ring around Kerbin - 1000 km orbit (7 small cheap omni Sats). They provided basic coverage and allowed me to use LKO freely and safely. With Communotron 16 you can't directly connect from KSO with KSC using omni - 16, the range of 16 is only 2 500.

Kerbin Omni Com Sat

QKAeMDi.jpg

2). After that I launched 2 heavy Sats to KSO to complete my Kerbin Network. That gives full coverage of Kerbin (except for the poles, but I don't need them yet). These Sats use Communotron 16 Omni to contact KSC through small omni sats. Three antennae (1 for Mun, 1 for active vessel, 1 for Minmus).

Kerbin KSO heavy Omni-Directional Sats

ioLttjr.jpg

3). Next step is to cover Mun and Minmus to gather data from space and surface. The decision was to launch 1 heavy Omni-Directional Sat and a small lander to each body. Sats a placed to high-elliptical polar orbit and landers land in northern hemisphere, so the lander has an omni contact with the SAT almost all the time and the SAT is visible from Kerbin KSO SATS nearly at any time.

Mun/Minmus heavy Com Sat (1 Omni to contact lander, 1 Dir - for active vessel, 1 - for Kerbin, 1 - for Mun/Minmus/reserve)

6T7fh1s.jpg

Mun/Minmus lander with thermometer and one Omni antenna to contact the nearby SAT

uQKceFg.jpg

The Network is complete.

DMo2Ulb.png

orju4kZ.png

atA0alt.png

pB1c5MI.jpg

The Mun and Minmus are explored, science gained, tree tech reseached further. Astronaut complex, Tracking Station, Mission control, VAB, Launchpad are upgraded to level 2. The next building that I need is RnD, cause I can't research the tech further.

The next step is Duna. By the look of things the first Duna mission will have to be manned, because I have no access to long-range antennae yet.

Current tech-tree.

YBpR1F4.png

We are good to go...

Edited by panzerwaffe044

This mission is to allow a Mun polar orbit and collect surveys around the 10 km altitude and EVA science from the biomes. The risk is greater than just a Mun fly by and will allow for greater profit to be earned. The route will be changed and Mun orbit will be bumped up the list. It involves the listed technology displayed in the custom parts panel and early career building limits.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The successful vessel design accomplishes a polar orbit that is 1500 km altitude and can return back to kerbin. Any suggestions on an improved vessel that has to accomplish a polar orbit with an altitude of 10 km for Mun surveys to increase profit.

WAC's Delta-V Map is so useful

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

I just gave that insane difficulty a try from the OP post and I must say it is mostly grinding and no fun.

On normal I did like 5-10 "Ferry tourists" missions to get the money for the upgrades, now I have to do 200. Then launch a science mission, aaaaand another 100 "Ferry tourists". Sorry not my favorite way to spend my free time. ;)

An awesome tool for the contract acquisitions team.

Contract Filter

This tool will allow for quicker contract management. The science farm space completes twenty contracts per mission. To acquire those contracts many others have to be declined. This tool will help to automatically decline contracts that are not lucrative. It also can accept contracts that are more plump.

- - - Updated - - -

@ panzerwaffe044

The remote tech mode is still on my list of favorite mods and have been wanting to play a modded game. Your tech tree has reached the limits of the R&D. Any plans on how to earn the funding?

@Mipe

This is a tough challenge and the steep slope at the beginning can be daunting. After landing on Mun that changes everything and funding becomes more rapidly acquired.

@Two

Read the part about science farm space. That is the best way in the early career to earn funding.

@DarkGravity

The pilots are ready to buzz anything above 10 metre from the ground, but without an audience there is no funding for the stunt. There is a mod I was looking at called Sidejobs and is looking like its on the right track.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

The remote tech mode is still on my list of favorite mods and have been wanting to play a modded game. Your tech tree has reached the limits of the R&D. Any plans on how to earn the funding?

Science from space/surface of Mun/Minmus, t scans of the Mun, also I plant flags on Minmus multiple times, using light lander. Reusable space stations near Kerbin save Kerbals and complete "orbital station" contracts. I've already earned 2 500 000. It's not so hard as it seemed to be. I just don't spend too much time not to get bored. After upgrading the RnD building I'll start Duna manned missions to gain science for long-range antennae unlock.

Edited by panzerwaffe044

Read the part about science farm space. That is the best way in the early career to earn funding.

I did, but still it is tons of grinding, and I just know better ways to spent my time. ;)

Some people love grinding, I don't. So not my style of playing the game.

Science from space/surface of Mun/Minmus, t scans of the Mun, also I plant flags on Minmus multiple times, using light lander. Reusable space stations near Kerbin save Kerbals and complete "orbital station" contracts. I've already earned 2 500 000. It's not so hard as it seemed to be. I just don't spend too much time not to get bored. After upgrading the RnD building I'll start Duna manned missions to gain science for long-range antennae unlock.

Great to hear about your accomplishments and you have stuck with it. Have you had any close calls yet where someone was in danger?

Using a variety of contracts instead of just repeating the same over an over would seem better and more entertaining. That is similar to what is in my plans.

Just complete a routine like doing laps around the track.

Using a variety of contracts instead of just repeating the same over an over would seem better and more entertaining. That is similar to what is in my plans.

That's what I'm doing. More powerful tech allowed me to complete Kerbin Challenge 3, flag on Mun/Minmus, save a kerbonaut from surface of Minmus and build a returnable station around Minmus. I also try to make my space program more reusable (using mods). And it's really cool experience with limited funds, tech and kerbonauts. Deadly reentry and TAC make it even more fun. You are always forced to have plan B (rescue mission, repairing dead satellites on EVA and so on).

Have you had any close calls yet where someone was in danger?

Yeah, some things happened. I usually do simulations and calculations. I never push my vehicles to the limit. Always leave some fuel. (It's better to come home with science from 2 biomes, then get stuck on the Mun with data from 4 :-) It's better to spare an extra hundred of dV circularizing the orbit, then burn on ascent.

After RnD upgrade the soil samples became my primary source of science points. My sample-teams headed to Mun and Minmus. After flying over 6 biomes on Minmus in one go my team (Jeb and Bob) made their burn towards home. Everything seemed to be good. But suddenly I found out, that I forgot to add additional heatshield to my double-pod (with DE that's fatal when returning from Mun and Minmus, basic built-in shield can only survive an LKO entry). As I had enough fuel, I made a circularization. I organized a rescue mission. I designed a vessel with huge 2.5m shield but small pod and a docking port, the idea was to dock with Jeb and Bob and reenter pointing this huge shield retrograde, that would be enough to cover the whole 3-pod ship! But my Minmus ship had no docking port, so Bill took a docking port, screwdriver with him, rendezvoused with Jeb/Bob, attached a docking port, docked and brought the whole crew with precious data home. That was the most memorable challenge. Sometimes launch fails happen, I just use launch escape system to bring my crew back. I just try to be very careful and always have some reserve (extra dV, supplies etc.)

Are there any mods to add random failures, such as engine, controls, antennae, panels failures? Would be really cool to add such things to my career.

So, my challenge continues. I upgraded RnD, Soil samples allowed to unlock long range antennae, the road to Duna is opened. Added some mods including SCAN-Sat, Orbital science, Station science (but haven't unlocked parts in the tech yet). I reduced my science point reward from 0.1 to 0.05, I think, that would hekp to maintain hardcore balance.

1). Before lauching vehicles to Duna we need to provide satellite coverage of Duna and the vehicle on the way there. I decided to launch a single Deep Space Sat. It coveres Duna, Moho, Eve, active vessel, has KR-7 to cover future targets within Kerbin's SOI and 2 DTS to contact Kerbin and to act as a reserve. I launched it to a high polar orbit. It is visible from Duna almost all the time.

FSRwbqm.png

rGzd8zA.png

2). Organizing Duna Sat Com Network and making our first Low-Radar surface scan FOR SCIENCE and for future landing.

Duna Satellite Launcher.

hPYAGlc.jpg

uecyl0G.jpg

6AeDcXN.jpg

FZdmWFI.jpg

Main Duna Directional satellite. It talks to Kerbin using 88, the other 88 is a reserve for future missions, 2 DTS to cover Duna system, 1 16 to communicate with little sats nearby. (the signal delay is awesome thing, adds a lot to the challenge)

XHdNnTa.jpg

Duna Radar Scan and Com Sat (2). One of them even managed to scan Ike and return to Duna's orbit to act as Com Sat for future missions.

vBat5MU.jpg

Initial Duna Sat Network complete.

7Lo64ex.png

3). I also launched Scan Sats to Orbit of Kerbin, Mun and Minmus. Scanning Kerbin, Mun, MInmus, Duna and Ike for science and to pick future landing sites.

TbEglWM.jpg

agCNSeD.jpg

Z9OyZ6e.jpg

First scans: http://imgur.com/a/q9hz7

Current tech-tree.

753zSVf.png

The next step is unmanned science missions to Duna and Ike. Manned landing will follow those missions.

Edited by panzerwaffe044

You are always forced to have plan B (rescue mission, repairing dead satellites on EVA and so on).

After RnD upgrade the soil samples became my primary source of science points.

...my Minmus ship had no docking port, so Bill took a docking port, screwdriver with him, rendezvoused with Jeb/Bob, attached a docking port, docked and brought the whole crew with precious data home. That was the most memorable challenge.

Sometimes launch fails happen, I just use launch escape system to bring my crew back.

Are there any mods to add random failures, such as engine, controls, antennae, panels failures? Would be really cool to add such things to my career.

So, my challenge continues. I upgraded RnD, Soil samples allowed to unlock long range antennae, the road to Duna is opened.

I reduced my science point reward from 0.1 to 0.05,

Current tech-tree.

http://i.imgur.com/753zSVf.png

The next step is unmanned science missions to Duna and Ike. Manned landing will follow those missions.

In times before when failures happened there was no need for LES, just revert and all is fine. That LES part has meaning in this type of career mode. Contingency formulation and testing is required.

The simulator is too perfect and replicates the kerbal environment exactly (of course). Once a vessel is thoroughly simulated, there is little chance for problems with missions.

There are some mods that can alleviate the issue:

Dang-it

Tried this out back in the 0.90 release. It does add random failures based on part reliability which is affected by flight time. Maintenance is the duty. This should give Bill more time with that screwdriver. I hear he is found of the orange coloured type.

Kerbal Construction Time

This adds time to the budget. The simulator cost is also there. The launch pad maintenance and build time will have the SPH crew doing something a little more important. Plus the runway should be used more often, especially if it is a dirt path. Unlocking technology needs time as well. If you consider that I am trying to complete the goal within ninety nine days, than this mod will increase the difficulty.

SPH Crew Working Hardly

These other mods add more to the usefulness of probes:

Remotetech is understandable and introduces the issues with long range remote rovers. Increase the delay to compensate for the distance which adds some difficulty just as a mod like RSS.

SCANsat is the mod that allows the biome map to become very useful and available. Unless your a dirty cheater and use the debug menu or internets to view it. Soil samples = OSbury can produce loads of science points if you land in a multi-biome area.

40px-Patents_Licensing.png Patents Licensing

The science points can be converted into funds through strategy. Why reduce them?

Do you not follow the two hundred and second rule of acquisition?

"The justification for profit is profit."

Keep on traveling, your voyage is prompting me to go early and start my career, but a project that was shelved has come back to life and needs to be completed.

Couple of questions for you panzerwaffe:

Have you been keeping track of the technology path?

What is your Kerbal time?

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

I'll try them!

Yeah they are cool, I'm already using them. I like the idea of SCANsat these black and white fuzzy images remind of the first interplanetary missions to Mars and Venus. Adds a lot to realism. And the signal delay is incredible.

The mods I use:

BoxSat

Deadly re-entry

FMRS

HeatControl

KAS

Kerbal Engineer Redux

KIS

kOS

KWRocketry

Infernal Robotics

Docking Port Alignment

D-Magic Orbital Science

Station Science

Tarsier Space Tech

Precise Node

Procedural Fairings

RCSBuildAid

RealChute

RemoteTech

SCAN-Sat

TAC Life Support

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Universal Storage

The science points can be converted into funds through strategy. Why reduce them?

Because as far as I understand with mods like Station Science, D-Magic orbital science, Tarsier Tech I will earn more science. SCAN Sat also adds science for scans. So in order not to ruin the balance I reduced it. I've seen a lot of walkthroughs, where people have almost 3/4 of the tech tree unlocked without flying outside the Kerbin's SOI. That's not the way I see my space program. It's good, that game is flexible and everyone can tune it as he prefers.

Have you been keeping track of the technology path?

1). Engineering 101

2). Basic Rocketry

3). Survivability

4). Basic science

5). General Rocketry

6). Stability

7). Aviation

8). Advanced Rocketry

9) Electrics

10). Flight Control

11). General Construction

12). Space Exploration

13). Advanced Flight Control

14). Heavy Rocketry

15). Fuel Systems

16). Propulsion Systems

17). Aerodynamics

18). Landing

19) Advanced Construction

20). Miniaturization

RnD upgrade...

21). Advanced Electrics

22). Electronics

What is your Kerbal time?

It's year six. I think I will miss the nearest Moho and Eve windows, because I don't have Fly-by contracts for them. I noticed if you make some action (for example, orbit the Mun) without taking a contract, this contract will not appear again. May be I am wrong. I'm going to explore planet by planet. Even in Kerbin's SOI there's work to do (seismic scans). In the next Duna window I'm planning to launch multiple vehicles, including manned lander. Well it's possible to assemble one giant ship in orbit (but I only have Docking Port Jr. the construction will be unstable and clumsy) and I'm limited to 140 t. That limits my payloads to Duna.

I made a mistake. I forgot to place thermometers on my Duna Sats! SO i can't gather science form space near Duna. Well the next launch window will fix this.

Dang man, you are tough...

Jumped in to add that this thread is extremely helpful of picking my difficulty sweet-spot. I found that having limitations improves the fun-factor a lot. Normal career felt too quick and easy, even with my silly mindset that involves massive overengineering instead of math. Now I'm convinced that my next go will be 'harder than hard' with reverts and some initial rep. 'Decline-grinding' for free money isn't appealing, and sandbox-testing doesn't feel much more than the revert option with more clicks and loading times. Once the projects start involving multiple crafts and transfer windows, only quickloading could help anyways - I'm ready to drop that crutch any day.

Anyways, thanks for the inspiration, keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Time Warp Time Tunnel Vortex

I was getting anxious to play a modded game of KSP so that is what drew me into a time tunnel and became completely absorbed with the game.

The mods I choose :

Contract Packs

Kerbal Construction Time

KAC

KER

Dang It

Deadly Re-entry

Firespitter

NAV HUD

Real Chutes

Remote Tech

SCAN Sat

Trajectories

USI Life Support

The Kerbal Construction Time mod was never used before and was delighted how time is now part of the budget. This mod brings meaning for vessel re-use. Also if an emergency occurs there better be a contingency plan. This career wasn't on full extreme hard. I left the funds and reputation penalty sliders at the default hard. A strategy similar for Extreme Hard was used and made Mun and Minmus landings.

The vortex pulls me yet another time. Spent some time trying out a challenge and managed to lift a payload 76 metres in height and weighing 125 tonnes to a 100 km Kerbin orbit.

These side missions were distractedly fun, but now back to business.

So back to the practice. With all the experience I have gained by making trips to Mun and Minmus, Duna is next. Never been there before so this was a whole lot of interesting fun.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This was played through on version 1.04 on the Hard setting. Hard setting is not very. Was ready for a trip to Duna within a week.

The Transfer Window Planner mod was installed and this along with KER calculated the delta V requirements for the voyage. I choose to ignore any other details provided by TWP just so I could try and eyeball the course to Duna. Using patched conics and the maneuver node, I was successful.

This is the simulation half of it. The mission results I will post later.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

Some of the mods that I am testing to bring more variety to the contracts.

Being a big fan of a science farm space but sometimes after 10 of these drinks you want a little shot of something else.

[1.00][Plugin] Contract Configurator by nightingale ; Create new contracts using configuration file syntax.

^^[1.00][Plugin] Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor by nightingale

^^[1.00][Plugin] Contract Pack: Kerbin Space Station by severedsolo

^^[1.00][Plugin] Contract Pack: SCANSat by DBT85

^^[1.00][Plugin] Contract Pack: RemoteTech by nightingale

[1.00][Plugin] Mission Controller Extended by malkuth

The mod changes allot of things.

[1.00][Plugin] SETI-BalanceMod - Scope, Economy & Tech Integration by Yemo; Scope, Economy & Tech Integration - BalanceMod

Glad to see this mod back up.

[1.00][Plugin] Engine Ignitor by HoneyFox ; Features engine ignition limitations.

If Dangit is included than this gives the contingency planning team something to do.

[1.00][Parts] Deployable Emergency Reentry Pod by RoverDude

• 1 month later...

Update:

Another path for the extreme hard career is to build outside the VAB/SPH using the Clamp-o-tron Docking port Junior.

It takes time and lots of patience and understanding of the gizmos that are in VAB/SPH editor.

The payoff is no need to update facilities other than the astronaut complex to unlock EVA and flag planting.

There is much involved with this style of construction and in my mission report I am recording the experiment.

Mission Report: Cavemen Are From Duna

Also Tier Zero Facility Tips has some additional info.

Update:

Another path for the extreme hard career is to build outside the VAB/SPH using the Clamp-o-tron Docking port Junior.

It takes time and lots of patience and understanding of the gizmos that are in VAB/SPH editor.

The payoff is no need to update facilities other than the astronaut complex to unlock EVA and flag planting.

There is much involved with this style of construction and in my mission report I am recording the experiment.

Mission Report: Cavemen Are From Duna

Also Tier Zero Facility Tips has some additional info.

Already attempting!

Anyone attempting this extreme hard career of reaching interplanetary is more than welcome to post on this thread their Mission Reports.

Going interplanetary with the basics is truly the peak of this mountain and goal of this career choice.

Landing a probe on another planet and return is gold. Going there and back with kerbals is platinium.

@Bev7787 I am looking forward to reading your mission report (absolutely no peer pressure:wink:) and envious that you are going on this epic mission.

Gadzukes and may the Kraken always be left behind you in rocket exhaust .

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.