Public Service Announcement regarding Aero

DuoDex

Squad have publicly stated that KSP is meant to be a game first, a sim second. Please keep that in mind.

While some of you may not all be overly impressed or even minorly happy with the aerodynamics changes that 1.0 (and the subsequent patches) that brought, it is important to remember one thing : You have many options that can be tweaked.

First of all, the physics.cfg found in the KSP sub-directory contains all of the options used to configure the new aerodynamics system in 1.0. All of them. You can change drag, lift, thermal, and mach options very easily. You can go back to the old souposphere. You can remove the atmospheres entirely.

Secondly, if physics.cfg doesn't contain the options you want, ferram4's Ferram Aerodynamics Reasearch (FAR or nuFAR) has a great deal of customization and even more realism available than the stock physics.cfg.

So please, before you post that thread complaining about how drag is too high, take a peek at physics.cfg and change the values around until you have what you want.

Picture of alt+f12 aero debug menu - change your physics values in-game until they're just right! Credit : sal_vager/

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by DuoDex

First of all, the physics.cfg found in the KSP sub-directory contains all of the options used to configure the new aerodynamics system in 1.0. All of them. You can change drag, lift, thermal, and mach options very easily. You can go back to the old souposphere. You can remove the atmospheres entirely.

Wat? Remove it entirely? Esplain!!

I've always wanted to try a campaign with an airless kerbin~

Wat? Remove it entirely? Esplain!!

I've always wanted to try a campaign with an airless kerbin~

I haven't played with it enough, but I think that zeroing out ALL the values should at least make for some interesting gameplay, if not a totally airless Kerbin ;)

I haven't played with it enough, but I think that zeroing out ALL the values should at least make for some interesting gameplay, if not a totally airless Kerbin ;)

I'll have to give it a shot. Would be interesting, although the initial SRB-only thing would have.. consequences heh :)

And you could always HyperEdit the atmosphere away as well...

Great post anyways. Before, we had FAR. Now we have a stock system allowing us to alter the atmosphere, and people are still complaining. I mean, at least nose cones do something now, guys!

The link seems to be broken. Don't tell my you hyperlinked it just to underline it. First of all underlining is a typographic abomination, second of all you have [ u ] tag for that.

Fixed it for ya.

Or, maybe, and, here me out, even if I sound a bit rude, but, just maybe, the majority of players shouldn't have to edit their game's files or access a "Cheats Menu" to experience features Squad spent a significant amount of time implementing. At the moment reentry heating has lost a lot of its functionality.

Many people worried about this. Not the aero, per se, but the expectations that would result from the game being called "1.0". If they had called this 0.95, I think there would be just as much controversy, but not as much outrage.

They like to complain?

Are you suggesting that whatever the base settings are in 1.0.2, those should be considered definitive, forever, and that Squad should not ever change them? Or are you suggesting a more "beta test" approach where people should beat up the sliders, and post experimental results from different settings in the hopes that a better value might be crowd-sourced?

I'm gonna use FAR/DRE as soon as they are out, anyway, but it seems like critiquing the extant aero is a good thing, given the fact that we know that certainly 1.0.2 was barely tested (it came out right on the heels of 1.0.1, so however many hours between times the number of people testing is the sum total of testing).

Or, maybe, and, here me out, even if I sound a bit rude, but, just maybe, the majority of players shouldn't have to edit their game's files or access a "Cheats Menu" to experience features Squad spent a significant amount of time implementing. At the moment reentry heating has lost a lot of its functionality.

Re-entry heating had ZERO functionality for years. Now they finally implement it, then they tweak it, and people complain about it. Some complain that it's too deadly, some complain that it's not deadly enough. Whatever.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.