Tourists are the pioneers of Kerbal society

dryer_lint

The driving force behind space exploration is none other than tourists.

Okay, seriously now, does anyone else think that some of the tourism contracts are a bit... overkill? I haven't even pulled off a manned Mun return yet, and tourists are asking for Minmus landings and Duna flybys... Calm down, guys.

The driving force behind space exploration is none other than tourists.

Okay, seriously now, does anyone else think that some of the tourism contracts are a bit... overkill? I haven't even pulled off a manned Mun return yet, and tourists are asking for Minmus landings and Duna flybys... Calm down, guys.

If you had the money, wouldn't you be signing up for a trip to the ISS right now? And consider all the people who applied for that silly Mars 100 thing. We've never sent anyone farther than the Mun ... um, Moon. But there are still people applying to go on a 1-way trip to Mars.

I almost had a riot on Mun when I told the tourists they couldn't go for a walk when we got there. Had to ventilate their can a bit to let them cool off.

Almost left them there... Want to take a walk? How about a walk back to Kerbal!

The price seems a little low, though. I'm seeing one tourist offering about 100,000 spacebucks to take him along on a Mun landing. I'm not sure if I could get him to the Mun that cheap... I'm thinking the best way to handle tourists is to take them (several at a time, if possible) along on missions I'm planning to run anyway.

I was kinda disappointed when I first discovered that tourists weren't allowed outside the ship ("Please keep arms and legs inside the spacecraft at all times") and that they're wearing flight suits instead of Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops in IVA.

The price seems a little low, though. I'm seeing one tourist offering about 100,000 spacebucks to take him along on a Mun landing. I'm not sure if I could get him to the Mun that cheap... I'm thinking the best way to handle tourists is to take them (several at a time, if possible) along on missions I'm planning to run anyway.

I was kinda disappointed when I first discovered that tourists weren't allowed outside the ship ("Please keep arms and legs inside the spacecraft at all times") and that they're wearing flight suits instead of Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops in IVA.

I've designed a ship that takes 4 tourists at a time, while in the Kerbin system. I've gone to the Mun (orbit), Minmus (landing - just to science) and home again. This ship also doubles as a rescue ship - rescue 4 Kerbals per trip. :)

Later on can tourists eventually get to EVA? I get that they cant do anything without a real pilot or probe core but to lug someone to another body just to look out the window... I mean, I wouldn't turn down the offer, but I would want to step outside if I could, were I in their position.

In my career game the main driving force is the incompetent rival space agency that keeps stranding their astronauts. At one moment I had four poor fellas in LKO waiting for deliverance.

I took on the job, whisked up a quick rescue craft, and then even got offered the rendez vous contract. Got all five contracts done in a single launch, bringing in almost a megafund of spendy stuff.

Tourist are still too stingy for my taste. Their offers for LKO are still not worth my time and risk, and seats on Mun ships are still reserved for training the astronauts.

Edited by Shpaget

Pioneers, indeed. I keep having ones showing up and demanding a "sub-orbitial flight on the sun." :0.0:

As said before night landing.

Raises one question does the tourists has to be returned :)

Has not done any of them yet, they all demand targets I will not do before getting the infrastructure up.

Later on can tourists eventually get to EVA? I get that they cant do anything without a real pilot or probe core but to lug someone to another body just to look out the window... I mean, I wouldn't turn down the offer, but I would want to step outside if I could, were I in their position.

tourists must stay inside a craft at all times, but they can be transferred via crew-transfer.

>magnemoe, they have to be returned to kerbin for the mission to fully complete, but you keep any funds they already gave you even if you don't return them. (you just have to pay the penalty fee and lose a lot of rep)

In my career game the main driving force is the incompetent rival space agency that keeps stranding their astronauts. At one moment I had four poor fellas in LKO waiting for deliverance.

I took on the job, whisked up a quick rescue craft, and then even got offered the rendez vous contract. Got all five contracts done in a single launch, bringing in almost a megafund of spendy stuff.

It's getting annoying actually. I got my LKO full of their capsules and I keep getting more of those contracts. I feel bad for not doing them, but honestly, that got old pretty quick.

Pioneers sounds like an awesome idea. With orbital space stations and off-Kerbin bases gaining more importance, I would love to see contracts to take..well..homesteaders to places like the Mun, Duna, Ike, and so on. There could be follow-up contracts to ferry supplies even. If at just its simplest, like just having to bring a habitat module to drop off at the site.

It would give a new angle of career for those who might have filled up their science quickly, and would like a new challenge.

It's getting annoying actually. I got my LKO full of their capsules and I keep getting more of those contracts. I feel bad for not doing them, but honestly, that got old pretty quick.

Something that might bring the fun back for a while, is if you have a surplus of funds and reputation, you can come up with new directions to send the stranded kerbals. Why not upgrade them from stranded to marooned, and put them to work at a mining base?

Edited by samstarman5

My tourists want me to put them in a suborbital trajectory on the sun, they must be insane.

That's a new one. Why not give it to them, and stock up the craft with science modules so you can at least get some science from the trip before they turn to ash? (If you don't mind not collecting the return funds, that is)

My tourists want me to put them in a suborbital trajectory on the sun, they must be insane.

A suborbital trajectory only means you aim at the sun, not that you actually get there. It's still going to need a ton of fuel, but you should be able to slow your orbit to the point where it intersects the sun, then speed up again once it registers.

Tourist are still too stingy for my taste. Their offers for LKO are still not worth my time and risk, and seats on Mun ships are still reserved for training the astronauts.

I'm, going to have to upgrade the astronaut complex to lvl 3 real soon, and I haven't hired anyone yet, haven't even landed on Mun (though a mission is on the way). But... no kerbal left behind! At least I'm saving a ton on recruits.

Rune. And all those capsules in orbit? Stick chutes, push with a Klaw when I get it, and I'll call them free money.

tourists must stay inside a craft at all times, but they can be transferred via crew-transfer.

>magnemoe, they have to be returned to kerbin for the mission to fully complete, but you keep any funds they already gave you even if you don't return them. (you just have to pay the penalty fee and lose a lot of rep)

Well so you have to check if you can afford tossing them out of the airlock or strand them on their beloved Minmus. :D

With tourist missions it seems like doing several at once is more efficient.

Rescue missions are fun, I "rescued" someone by having them use the eva pack to get into atmosphere, she didn't burn up due to reentry and somehow survived hitting the ground.

Rescue missions are some of the best missions because crew is now so expensive.

Then I accepted a mission to rescue someone from low sun orbit...

It does give me 20 years of time.

The description mentions "somewhat worse than average" accident...

I haven't even visited duna yet.

Well so you have to check if you can afford tossing them out of the airlock or strand them on their beloved Minmus. :D

I haven't done a tourist contract yet, but I will say, it would be rather fun to strand them on a moon or such and put them to work at operating miners. Shanghaied kerbals, ahoy!

Then I accepted a mission to rescue someone from low sun orbit...

It does give me 20 years of time.

Send up a sphere RCS tank to keep them company, and then they are separated upon entering Kerbin's SOI..... "WILLSSOOONNNNN!!"

Edited by samstarman5

That could be done. You would just have to use solar panels as returning vehicle. Sand tourist in the lander and capture them with solar panels as they return as flashes of light :)

That could be done. You would just have to use solar panels as returning vehicle. Sand tourist in the lander and capture them with solar panels as they return as flashes of light :)

As kerbals do not seem to have mastered quantum teleportation, I have a feeling that wouldn't work.

I'm, going to have to upgrade the astronaut complex to lvl 3 real soon, and I haven't hired anyone yet, haven't even landed on Mun (though a mission is on the way).

You don't even need to upgrade. The limit only counts if you want to hire someone. If you rescue them, you get them on your roster regardless of the limit. :)

For tourists, several at a time is definitely more efficient. I have a reusable shuttle that takes a pilot and four tourists up to a transfer station. Anyone who only wanted Kerbin (sub-)orbit goes right back down, the rest accumulate until I have enough going to the same place to send a much more efficient space-only shuttle.

Setting up the infrastructure for a tourism empire is actually rather fun!

At the very least they should be able to get out of a landed craft. It must suck that they can go all the way to the Mun and not get to walk on it.

I've designed a ship that takes 4 tourists at a time, while in the Kerbin system. I've gone to the Mun (orbit), Minmus (landing - just to science) and home again. This ship also doubles as a rescue ship - rescue 4 Kerbals per trip. :)

It's not so bad. My 2-person Mun lander costs in the range of 40K. Version 1.0 really pushed me in the Mun lander category: my cheapest lander was 20K or so. In previous versions, I had spent clsoe to 50K.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.