New dv map?

CaptainKipard

I don't think you can do it. Atmospheric values will have to be in a range. They always were before, of course. The "4500" value for Kerbin was really more like "4500-5000" depending on TWR.

Now you have TWR, drag, how far you must divert from ideal ascent to avoid flipping out, and who knows what else? I think 3500 is a good benchmark, but really I think we should be designing our craft to get wherever they must go from LKO, and then do the rest by trial and error (oh so much error).

I personally aim for around 4000. What I did notice is that is is a bit trickier to design the rocket so that you do not leave any stages in orbit as debris. The margin of error got wider, because of substantially different drag from rocket to rocket.

I'm also refraining from updating the WAC's subway-style map until all this atmospheric discussion settles down and we have an official (and mostly definitive?) word from Squad regarding the future of drag and lift values.

I'd suggest you take the advices from the guys above. That's what seems to be working for most people right now. :)

And regarding Eve, I've heard reports about 7000m/s instead of the old 12,000m/s. I still haven't tested that myself, though.

Edited by Kowgan

I personally aim for around 4000. What I did notice is that is is a bit trickier to design the rocket so that you do not leave any stages in orbit as debris. The margin of error got wider, because of substantially different drag from rocket to rocket.

Do what I (well, Scott Manley. But I do it now because it's a good idea) do: Burn your ascent stage out with your periapsis still in Kerbin's atmosphere. Then at that higher-than-normal apoapsis, do a small burn so your actual craft is in orbit. You'll put more energy into your orbit, making your eventual ejection to Mun or whatever cost slightly less dV.

If you're way off on launch dV you may waste some Oberth effect, but if you launch at dawn for inward transfers (Eve and Moho) or dusk for outward transfers (Everybody else) then your resultant periapsis will be just about where you should burn to eject.

Do what I (well, Scott Manley. But I do it now because it's a good idea) do: Burn your ascent stage out with your periapsis still in Kerbin's atmosphere. Then at that higher-than-normal apoapsis, do a small burn so your actual craft is in orbit. You'll put more energy into your orbit, making your eventual ejection to Mun or whatever cost slightly less dV.

If you're way off on launch dV you may waste some Oberth effect, but if you launch at dawn for inward transfers (Eve and Moho) or dusk for outward transfers (Everybody else) then your resultant periapsis will be just about where you should burn to eject.

nice idea. Perhaps gone are the days of 75*75 orbits for stuff other than station rendezvous or Kerbisphere missions.

Do you know if the on-rails cutoff is still 35km? It annoys me that I can't shed debris by dipping periapsis to about 60km.

nice idea. Perhaps gone are the days of 75*75 orbits for stuff other than station rendezvous or Kerbisphere missions.

Do you know if the on-rails cutoff is still 35km? It annoys me that I can't shed debris by dipping periapsis to about 60km.

I know it's not 60km, because I just deleted some trash that dipped down into that range.

I personally don't mind manually deleting debris. I try hard to not make much, and to make *zero* debris in stable orbits. It's kind of a point of pride :)

I define "stable orbit" as an orbit that will never cross an SOI boundary, or contact a planet surface or atmosphere. Any debris that does ANY of those things is fair game to delete.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.